Entry Level 1911, A "Just the Facts, Madam" Model?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I have the Auto Ordnance GI 1911. Great starter 1911, as much grief as Ive given CM about altered 1911, this is one I may try my hand at.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My first 1911 was a Colt Gold Cup, unfortunately it wasn't built for real world usage, the front sight kept broken off after a while. Then I got a slide of a regular 1911 with a fitted sight on. It was decently accurate, but not great. Later I got myself a Les Baer Custom 1911 which I still have, well I still have the old Colt and what came with it. But the LB Custom was the most accurate 1911 I have shot so far. Even the rangemaster was impressed.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I have an older 1994 Springfield made in Brazil. It is a sweet shooter and eats any ammo. Bought it used for a great deal. Springfield customer service is unmatched.

I have been carrying an ATI GI COMMANDER. For 300 dollars it was a steal. Fit and finish is great. A few sharp edges a took a file to for more comfortable carry and shooting. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have shot many jhps including Federal Hi Shok 185gr, Federal HST 230gr, Federal Hydrashok 185gr +P, Underwood 185gr +P Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T 230gr, DRT 150gr Frangible, Hornady Critical Duty +P, and Hornady 230gr XTP. All with zero malfunctions. I trust this gun.

As with every gun...some will say different.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    from the research i have done (consists of almsot entirely forum posts, mind you....) the tisas is pretty.........unimpressive i will say. some say crap, others say its just rough and not worth the 300.

have seen plenty of glowing reviews for the RIA - that may just be due to it being (from what i have seen) the first of its price point, that is reliable.

ordered a RIA tactical from buds last week. cant wait to shoot it.

talking about price - i bought a GSG 1911, and RIA tactical 1911 for 771 shipped (including $8 insurance)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have been very pleased with my blued R1. I wanted the stainless version forever, but ended up getting a good deal on a used blued version. Granted I am by no means a 1911 expert, but have owned a few: Llama, Kimber, ATI, Springfield, Citadel. I still hope to add a Range Officer to the stable someday, because ChurchMouse told me to, and now that he is a mod on here I don't want to get the ban hammer for not posting some pics of one. :):

attachment.php

attachment.php

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I have been very pleased with my blued R1. I wanted the stainless version forever, but ended up getting a good deal on a used blued version. Granted I am by no means a 1911 expert, but have owned a few: Llama, Kimber, ATI, Springfield, Citadel. I still hope to add a Range Officer to the stable someday, because ChurchMouse told me to, and now that he is a mod on here I don't want to get the ban hammer for not posting some pics of one.
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    I wonder if having an affiliation with say Springfield and being a mod is a conflict of interest?:banana::rofl::banana:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the Remington R1! I have an R1S and love the thing. I bought it as a good 'utility' 1911 and it's the one that I shoot the most now days.

this is mine:

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Para GI Expert. Very no-frills. Reliable, tough and accurate. After about about five thousand rounds through it all it seems to need is a new slide release. More on that slide release later.

Unfortunately they aren't made anymore. Used or maybe you can get lucky and find a place with a new one that nobody bought. They are a very under-rated gun.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I finally got to take the Remington R1 to the range this afternoon. I put 100 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ through it at seven yards.

I am new to this caliber, so I have some learning to do. The recoil was stronger than the 9mm I normally shoot, but nothing more than what I expected. I just have to work on my grip and sight picture. Lots of room for improvement. My minimum standard is to be able to cover the groups with my hand. I figure if I can do that, I can take care of business in a pinch. Came up way short on this range trip.

When I concentrated, paid close attention to all the details, I could get pretty close to dead center. Most of the shots were going low left, but I had some all over the target. Clearly the fault is with me (grip, trigger control, anticipating, etc.), not the Remington.

I had a Failure to Feed in the first three mags. Each time, I cleared it and reloaded the round. Worked fine the second time through. After those first three mags, I had no further problems.

My conclusions: The pistol is accurate and works well. The FTFs were part of the "break in" and has already smoothed out. I think I will add some color to the three white dots on the sights to improve my ability to pick up the sight picture. It's a keeper. Call me a satisfied customer.

For the record, I did clean it up before heading to the range, and I managed to get it reassembled without putting and "idiot scratch" on it.

Thanks, again, for your input.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would post up a pic of my SR1911 buit my SIL snatched it up when I took it out of the box to show it to him. I see it all the time......on his hip.....:)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I finally got to take the Remington R1 to the range this afternoon. I put 100 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ through it at seven yards.

I am new to this caliber, so I have some learning to do. The recoil was stronger than the 9mm I normally shoot, but nothing more than what I expected. I just have to work on my grip and sight picture. Lots of room for improvement. My minimum standard is to be able to cover the groups with my hand. I figure if I can do that, I can take care of business in a pinch. Came up way short on this range trip.

When I concentrated, paid close attention to all the details, I could get pretty close to dead center. Most of the shots were going low left, but I had some all over the target. Clearly the fault is with me (grip, trigger control, anticipating, etc.), not the Remington.

I had a Failure to Feed in the first three mags. Each time, I cleared it and reloaded the round. Worked fine the second time through. After those first three mags, I had no further problems.

My conclusions: The pistol is accurate and works well. The FTFs were part of the "break in" and has already smoothed out. I think I will add some color to the three white dots on the sights to improve my ability to pick up the sight picture. It's a keeper. Call me a satisfied customer.

For the record, I did clean it up before heading to the range, and I managed to get it reassembled without putting and "idiot scratch" on it.

Congrats, it sounds like you chose well! Here's hoping you have a long time with the gun with no issues :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It has been my experience with new 1911 shooters that grip is an issue.
    Address the gun as if you were going to hit something.....good solid grip and eat the recoil. In basic terms....you run the gun not the gun running you.
    I have seen many 1st timers flinch in recoil expectation. They do not brace to the gun and this will sometimes cause the FTF you experienced. My SIL is one of those folks. Once he adjusted his stance/grip no further issues have been experienced.

Trigger discipline is also very important with your new gun.

I am sure you will overcome what ever the issues are and have a great time with your new R-1

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Address the gun as if you were going to hit something.....good solid grip and eat the recoil. In basic terms....you run the gun not the gun running you.
    I have seen many 1st timers flinch in recoil expectation. They do not brace to the gun and this will sometimes cause the FTF you experienced. My SIL is one of those folks. Once he adjusted his stance/grip no further issues have been experienced.

I am sure you will overcome what ever the issues are and have a great time with your new R-1

Thanks, CM. Your suggestions are exactly what I was thinking. Better grip, better stance, stiffer arm and better alignment with the pistol. Things to work on.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I'm quoting CM but thats just to improve readability of the comment. Actually addressing Bapak2ja. When I first started shooting 1911s I was overly concerned about making sure the grip safety was released so I was overly tightening my grip and throwing my shots off. Like CM says just grab the gun in a firm normal grip and the grip safety will take care of itself. Hope this helps

Top Bottom