• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryand111

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lake County, IN
    I want to get an eotech for my Ar, but I have never used one before. I have some questions about eotechs, and I would like your guy's help. is there a big difference between the Eotech 552 and the 512? Do you guys have any better suggestions on which sight I should get. And also, what is the farthest rang that you can still hit a target fairly accurately with an Eotech?

Thanks for the help

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    is there a big difference between the Eotech 552 and the 512?

I have no idea.

Do you guys have any better suggestions on which sight I should get.

I prefer Aimpoint red dot sights myself. If you really felt EOTech was the way to go I would recommend checking out the XPS series as they solved many issues that plagued earlier generations.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view_aimpoint_h1_vs_eotech_xps_pics_vids.html

what is the farthest rang that you can still hit a target fairly accurately with an Eotech?

250-300 yards (if by "accurately" you mean hits on a man-sized target). They really shine in the 0-100 yard range. If you need greater accuracy or longer distance you'll want a magnified optic.

CaptSully

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I'm not sure about the 2 models you listed, but I have the eotech XPS2 which uses a single 123 battery and is a little smaller. I have used it out to 100 yards with no problems.

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    Both of these guys are right. This was designed as a close combat, fast acquisition, and accurate holo sight. While I have watched 200 meter rounds on target with both the 512 and 552. (BTW 552 is compatible with night vision), I use an XPS-2 and love it. I trust them greatly to about 150 personally. HTH.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I want to get an eotech for my Ar, but I have never used one before. I have some questions about eotechs, and I would like your guy's help. is there a big difference between the Eotech 552 and the 512? Do you guys have any better suggestions on which sight I should get. And also, what is the farthest rang that you can still hit a target fairly accurately with an Eotech?

Thanks for the help

Between the 512 and the 552 is the 552 has night vision capabilities. Personally, I have used the 552 while I was in Iraq in 2004, and it runs great. AA batteries are everywhere, and we were able to engage targets around 300 meters, maybe a little more but never had to shoot out past that with them. I love them, and have one on my home rifle now as well. As for the difference between them, some have different reticles and batteries, switches, etc, so depends on what you want it to do really. They do have a magnifier so you can add to the range, I have seen them in both 3 and 5 power magnifications, same ones work with Aimpoints as well.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    If you have any more questions, I will do the best that I can to answer them. While I do not work FOR them, I have worked with them since 04, although only certain ones. They do make ones to work with various batteries, so I am looking at maybe switching mine so that I can have one that uses the same batteries as my Surefire flashlights. More devices with the same batteries is always better for me, but I do know, these EO Techs work amazing, and when damaged, the reticule moves over, so you can still see and shoot with it, even when the screen is damaged and broken.

ryand111

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lake County, IN
    Thanks guys, I still have a lot of thinking to do... If i got a magnified eotech. would it effect the close range distance at all... Sorry i new to the gun world and i havent used any types of red dots or anything yet

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What type of shooting do you want to do(cqb, shoot groups on paper, hits at longer range on steel)? Everyones definition of accurate is diffrent, If I can get some more info Id be happy to help you wade threw your options

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks guys, I still have a lot of thinking to do... If i got a magnified eotech. would it effect the close range distance at all... Sorry i new to the gun world and i havent used any types of red dots or anything yet

If you had a magnifier, I would have one that you can move to the side, after all, when you shoot close, it will make it so close that you will have trouble like that. You will still be hitting the same hits, magnified or not, just able to see it better. Just have to remember your ballistics on what you are firing, and where it is zeroed for, IE, if you are zeroed in at 25m, 50m, 100m etc. When you put the magnification on and off, it will not change where you are hitting, at the zeroed range.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    I run the xps2 with a 3x magnifier in a Larue pivot mount. Good combo for CQB and hitting out to around 300 yards on a man size target. Ive used it before for yote hunting. You wont be driving tacks but if you want to do that get a good scope.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I own an eotech.

Get an Aimpoint.

ETA: I'll tell you why I say this. My eotech is on my home defense gun. The downside of an eotech is that you have to turn it on. If something goes bump in the night, the last thing I'm going to do is take the time to turn it on, leaving me with a fancy, useless window on top of my rifle.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Ar optics

I have been running an EO Tech 552 on a M-4 since 2007, it is used for CQB app's....I have used it with AN PVS 14 and it works great there also.....I like the fact it runs on AA's.....It is a great CQB sight.....I also run a Aimpoint micro T-1.....it is also a great CQB sight....and both of them will let me engage torso size targets at 100 yds......I have both of them mounted on throw lever mounts, and if I need to reach out, I throw on an ACOG or a suitable tac scope.....the T-1 is virtually indestructible......and I have seen it deliberately abused beyond belief to prove it's ruggedness....the EO and Aimpoint are great tools in the tool box as are the multitude of tac scopes we have now.....any of them will serve you well. And yes, they are pricey, but they are well worth the investment.

Top Bottom