• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    This is the first time I've mentioned this I've mentioned before I don't drive etc. but this is because I have epilepsy (a seizure disorder) I've been carrying for 5yrs now. and never had a problem. (seizure while carrying) when I carry I'm always with someone else a wife,friend,son,etc. I like some input especially from LEO what would happen if I had a seizure while carrying and EMTs were called I've already given up the right to drive and ability to work and provide for my family because of epilepsy. I don't want to give up my rights to protect myself and family because of a seizure. does anyone else have a similar problem and carry? IE diabetic blackouts or seizures.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I don't, but I am a nurse and my heart goes out to you. I say, keep carrying, and live your life. I understand the not driving. As long as you are with someone who can legally take possession of your firearm, it would be secured long before the EMTs arrived on scene.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Truegrit,
    My ex girlfriend years back before I was married was Epileptic. So I have some understanding of the condition.

I don't think you would have an issue with LE or EMT's if you were carrying. I would make sure that your family would give some instructions to responding personnel that you are carrying and that you have a condition that causes you to have seizures.

I would advise that you have a printed card in your wallet explaining your condition if and when you have a seizure and your family is not around.

I don't think there are any Indiana laws I can think of that would prevent you from carrying since your disorder is not a mental illness and more of a neurological chronic illness.

However I would caution you that if your state of health is not well, and you are not stable (in epileptic terms) then you might consider not carrying for what ever amount of time until you get things in check.

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    @Sporter: spot on.

I have epilepsy, too, although I'm blessed that my seizures only happen about every 6-9 months. It's been about 15 months since my last episode, so I knock on wood whenever I see it. This combo of meds I'm on seems to really be working for a nice change. :)

I can't point to where, maybe it was on another forum, but someone mentioned once that if I had an incident while out in public, that my firearm would likely be confiscated by the responding officer/medic and held until I could retrieve it [likely at a police station].

Also on another forum, someone had suggested that people with seizures and with diabetic issues should be prevented from having a firearm because if they had an episode while out in public their firearm could be stolen, yada yada. There was quite a bit of outrage about that. Yeah, I'm essentially unconscious for about 45 minutes while my brain resets, and as I said, I'm lucky enough that my seizures are few and far between. Why should I be prevented from protecting myself the other 364 days a year?

In any case, especially since there is no law preventing it, I would not let anyone tell you that you shouldn't carry based on your disorder alone, especially since you seem to be careful about having someone with you. I would recommend that you have an excellent holster with good retention so it doesn't fall out when you fall down.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    A friend and former coworker of mine was in a car accident a few years ago while carrying (as an armed guard) and was injured enough to require a hospital. I was working nearby and responded to the accident to take possession of his company cell phone and records. All that happened with his pistol is the EMTs refused to touch it and asked me to remove his duty gear (with them right there so I didn't hurt him) and take the pistol in my vehicle. The police that were on scene didn't try anything funny despite this occurring in a fairly gun-unfriendly state.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I don't, but I am a nurse and my heart goes out to you. I say, keep carrying, and live your life. I understand the not driving. As long as you are with someone who can legally take possession of your firearm, it would be secured long before the EMTs arrived on scene.

:+1: Have everyone in your imediate family, that qualifies, get their LTCH, even if they don't carry, that way someone, wife, child, can legally secure and transport your handgun if necessary.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    :+1: Have everyone in your imediate family, that qualifies, get their LTCH, even if they don't carry, that way someone, wife, child, can legally secure and transport your handgun if necessary.

I have thought of this. I got my wife to go to the police station and apply for a permit. I mailed it off to the State Police and I am just waiting for it to come back. That way if she needs to drive my car and I have left the handgun in the glove compartment, she is not skating on thin ice.

Top Bottom