• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    so i am assuming those coordinates are for a GPS system??? any specific kind, i only ask cause i dnt have a GPS but friends of mine do. Im intrested!!!!!!!!

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    You can use a gps or a app on a IPhone. I used to use a handheld Etrex until the app on my sons IPhone was so much easier to use. If you don't have those just google the long and lat and it will show you to the coordinates of the item.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Jeff and his games...:laugh: Good luck to those who go a hunting.
    Treaure hunts are fun and if you have a kid take him/her with you.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL....:D

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    You can use a gps or a app on a IPhone. I used to use a handheld Etrex until the app on my sons IPhone was so much easier to use. If you don't have those just google the long and lat and it will show you to the coordinates of the item.

What Iphone App does your son have? just curious as I'm not sure whether the standard mapping sows the GPS coordinates. I have an old Etrex that my brother gave me also and without mapping it's very limited in it's uses.

If it isn't found, my next day off will be looking for it...of course my next day off is the 13th, so I'm sure someone will have snagged it by then.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    What Iphone App does your son have? just curious as I'm not sure whether the standard mapping sows the GPS coordinates. I have an old Etrex that my brother gave me also and without mapping it's very limited in it's uses.

If it isn't found, my next day off will be looking for it...of course my next day off is the 13th, so I'm sure someone will have snagged it by then.

There is a $.99 iphone app that does GPS and UTM. It is Basic GPS, doesn't get great reviews but then again...if it worked how it should just once and you got there first, you'd have a nice new toy.

For Android people, you can check out GeoUTM...its free.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Some of the cache are really tough to find. I took some school kids on a hunt at Mounds state park Anderson about 4 years ago and only found 3 out of the 5.

Unfortunately all 3 of my handheld GPS have died. I driving version is a poor excuse for a hiking / Geocache GPS. The phone apps don't fare much better. We could only get within 3 Meters of a cache over off Sargent road once. Never found the darn thing.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Yup found it earlier today. It was a fun long hike, around 6 miles round trip from where we parked. Had a blast and got to spend some time outdoors.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    The hardest part was the hike. Probably spent about 15 mins looking for it. The guy who hid it said he used his ESEE 5 to bury it so I figured it wasn't real deep. It wasn't one end was a little above ground. The gps app on my phone got me within 10 feet. We just looked for freshly disturbed ground when I looked at the area from a different angle and saw it. When we first got there I set my pack down and it was about 5' from my pack.

Top Bottom