• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What I'm looking for may or may not exist. But I don't think I've ever seen it. Does anyone make a red dot with an etched reticle? I want 1x magnification, etched reticle, red or green illumination. I'm not really looking for a prism sight like Primary Arms SLX micro prism or Vortex Spitfire. Basically a red dot that is a black dot when not illuminated. Does such a thing exist?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I was going to recommend the PA SLX or the Vortex Spitfire.

I'm not aware of any other true red dots that have an etched reticle. They are all prism style I believe.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Red dots will use projected light reflected off a front lens. Etched reticle can not be used with that.
    I understand how they work. Dot, prism, holographic. I understand the difference. I was just wondering if there was such an animal. Just a simple etched dot lit with an led.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I was going to recommend the PA SLX or the Vortex Spitfire.

I'm not aware of any other true red dots that have an etched reticle. They are all prism style I believe.
    I briefly had a PA SLX micro prism. It was on a. 300BO pistol I was putting together before the ATF's final solu.. or I mean, final rule came out. I no longer possess either the pistol or the prism sight unfortunately. But while I did have the sight it was pretty nice. I had a little bit of a hard time getting it to have a crisp image and the reticle was VERY small. But it was clear, lightweight and bright. I've read some negative things about the Vortex Spitfire 1x prism. Like that it has negative magnification and makes images look smaller. So it's a reduction sight.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I understand how they work. Dot, prism, holographic. I understand the difference. I was just wondering if there was such an animal. Just a simple etched dot lit with an led.
    I do have a Vortex Razor 1-6 that has an etched cross reticle and a illuminated "red dot" in the middle. On 1 power, the exit pupil is large, but not near that of an aimpoint.

I dont think anything made like you asked for. An etched small black dot not in high demand.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I dont think anything made like you asked for. An etched small black dot not in high dedemand.
    Yeah I figured it was a long shot. I know prisms can be finicky with eye relief, and red dots/holo sights MUST have batteries to work. I'm not really wanting an lpvo on this rifle. I may just get an Aimpoint PRO and call it good. If it must use batteries at least AA are everywhere

Well never mind I thought the PRO used AA turns out it doesn't. I'll keep looking

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Yeah I figured it was a long shot. I know prisms can be finicky with eye relief, and red dots/holo sights MUST have batteries to work. I'm not really wanting an lpvo on this rifle. I may just get an Aimpoint PRO and call it good. If it must use batteries at least AA are everywhere

Well never mind I thought the PRO used AA turns out it doesn't. I'll keep looking
    I do have an aimpoint pro. True that it does not use AA cells. The battery it does use lasts for years, change it every presidential election. Also have used it it sub zero weather when cheaper red dots had issues.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The problem to your original question is the physics of aligning the reticle. An etched reticle needs the prisms or lenses to align it with your eye and the target regardless of eye position (ya know, so it's actually useful to aim). Those lenses mean eye relief. Technically a red dot has specific eye relief too but it's really wide.

Red dots also have parallax that depends on the shape of the lens, geometry, and distance from the eye and target. Practically, it's negligible but I read an article that someone did a pretty good study with a bunch of them in a ransom rest and it IS there. Oh good, I did find it again and bookmark it https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Anyone have experience with the Swampfox Blade prism?
    I do, they probably are not what you're looking for. Still very much like the PA SLx and the Vortex Spitfire. Though they are a lot cheaper and Swampfox boasts that they have superior field of view. If you're going for Swampfox, I'd recommend the Trihawk as the 3x magnification does help.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As much as I don't want to. I've found pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a Sig optic. The Romeo 4xt Pro checks almost all my boxes. Better reticle options, common battery, comes with an ARD and uses a common mount footprint. But it's stupid expensive for what it is. So I'm hesitant about it. Also hesitant of Sig Optics in general.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Well for future purchases, I think Swampfox is releasing a micro prism that's etched as well. The Bandit and the Raider are going to drop this year or maybe early next year. I think it's a Aimpoint T2 footprint and a CR2032 battery. From their previous products, probably going to be under $500.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    What I'm looking for may or may not exist. But I don't think I've ever seen it. Does anyone make a red dot with an etched reticle? I want 1x magnification, etched reticle, red or green illumination. I'm not really looking for a prism sight like Primary Arms SLX micro prism or Vortex Spitfire. Basically a red dot that is a black dot when not illuminated. Does such a thing exist?
    yeah my vortex spitfire AR serial #L11806040. It has an etched sight. I rarely even turn on the illuminator. I've actually grown to love the etched sight more than the illuminated ones. if my memory serves me correct, it was somewhere between $200 and $300. Its held up to all my abuse 11/10 would recommend

Top Bottom