• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just reread the article and do not see where Madison was charged with anything or a reason for being stopped. I am going to have to take the firemans side on this one.

I'm not taking any side on it, even after the police investigation is done and the results published. All I'm commenting on is the statement that no matter what the investigation shows, you're not interested, they must be lying, etc., is, to my view, shortsighted and closed-minded.... exactly what he's accusing the PD of being.

I'm pretty sure we've heard all the relevant facts, Bill. The PD has had plenty of time to respond to the allegations yet they've chosen to remain silent on the issue. I see no reason to doubt the fireman/pastors story over that of the guys who detained him for no reasonable reason. If this perpetuates the so-called "us vs. them" paradigm, then so be it. We didn't start it in this case, they did.

Again, I'm not saying the firefighter was right or wrong. I'm sure you've heard the same comment I have, that the jails are full of innocent men, just ask them.

I've long questioned the wisdom of giving LEOs the presumption of truth based solely on the badge on their shirts. The reason that was started was that supposedly, the officer has nothing to gain or lose by lying, whereas the accused does (if he was, in fact, guilty) Me, I don't give a presumption of truth to anyone solely by virtue of their job. If you're telling me the truth, the facts should bear it out. If, OTOH, "something stinks" about a story, that should be borne out as well. I'm not willing to say that something stinks solely because a cop is involved. I know two former officers who are former officers because their then-fellow officers suspected criminal activity on their parts and investigated it. One drove a desk for a while due to a lost license (OWI) and the other faced departmental discipline as well as a judge over prescription medication abuse. To my knowledge, neither has been re-hired by any police department.

It's not unheard-of for a department to find officers in the wrong when they are.

Blessings,
    Bill

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    so he didn't break any laws?
    I'm not condoning how the EPD officers handled the situation, personally I think it was way over the top. That said, the firefighter DID disobey a traffic sign by not stopping. I'm not sure that was why he was stopped and handcuffed, probably not. Our city council HAS asked Chief Bolin about diversity training, he doesn't think the EPD needs it because he continuously is telling his officers to "be nice". Just saying.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Worked for me, thanks for posting. What's up with the lack of grooming standards among LE now? Looks like crap, even the SGT who was in another link had a goatee going on. Is having a beard the new cool guy standard now?
    The facial hair has something to do with Evansville's something ennial that's coming up. I heard they were allowed to grow beards for the year.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    regarding beards, i think it looks unprofessional....not a fan.

regarding the stop, I believe he was stopped as he ran the stop sign then got mad at the cops as if they were the ones doing something wrong by turning in front of him though they had the right of way.

AnnieO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    This is going on while thousands of people are in town for Frog Follies. Makes you proud.

Glad to hear the police side- he disobeyed a direct order to put down the phone. That's a little different than they threatened to taser just for a hand gesture.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm sorry, I have a really hard time believing a police officer is going to initiate a stop for a "traffic violation" by a bicycle.

I used to know a guy who received a speeding ticket on a bicycle. The officer told him he was letting him off easy, he could of hit him for reckless. The guy went to court and fought it and lost.

He was doing around 50mph in a 20mph residential area. Yeah he was fast as all hell. I could hit 35 or so and he could just blow past me.:bowdown:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This is going on while thousands of people are in town for Frog Follies. Makes you proud.

Glad to hear the police side- he disobeyed a direct order to put down the phone. That's a little different than they threatened to taser just for a hand gesture.

It could have been worse, they could have "mistaken" it for a gun like cops in NY do with wallets.

Top Bottom