• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The article is sketchy on details... did they admit to an attempted straw purchase?... or did the guy just have a big mouth?

I can see it now...

Me: "We've been talking for a long time about getting you a gun, lets go to the gun store and look."

Wife: "OK... fine..."

Later...

Wife: "I like this one, would it be a good one for me?"

Me: "Sure, that one will be fine for you. If you want it you can get it, your birthday is coming up anyway."

Dealer sees us and walks over... having heard none of the first half of conversation...

Wife: "Hello Sir, I would like to buy this gun."

Me: "Wow, cool!... $400?... Here, honey here's $400/our card... I can't wait to go to the range. It's going to be so much fun to shoot."

Dealer: "Ok, here fill this out... I'll be right back."

Dealer: "Hello? ATF?..."

Underlined: I meant with my wife but is perceived as meaning just myself, leading to the assumption that the gun is to be mine.)

Last edited:

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    I read that article a couple of times just to make sure I had the facts right. Something does not smell right what the EPD and the AFT did. :ar15:

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    I'm confused too. You can legally give a gun as a gift, yeah? So I can purchase a weapon for my son and give it as a gift, but I can't take him in with me to pick it out?

I'm going to bet when questioned, they were coerced/confessed.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm confused too. You can legally give a gun as a gift, yeah? So I can purchase a weapon for my son and give it as a gift, but I can't take him in with me to pick it out?

I'm going to bet when questioned, they were coerced/confessed.

The crime is performing the transaction in place of someone else in order to avoid the background their check being denied.

You cannot buy a gun for someone else who cannot get a gun legally by themselves.

As long as your son (or anyone else) can legally have the gun, you are free to buy it and give it to them.

Last edited:

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    my question isnt about if she was/wasnt actualy getting it for the man, but how can they prove that? i read the post befor and i have on occasion went to a gun store wit my wife, and basically had the same conversation and no one ever caalled atf on us. just wondering what law did they exactly break. im confused.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    ok i kinda get it now. because she was buying it, technically it can be given as a gift, but because he ddnt have a in dl he cant technically purchase said gun in indiana, hence straw purchase. But like i said how can they prove it was intended for him and not actually gna b possessed by her. glad i ddnt try n become a lawyer. just to confusing

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Basically she must have claimed to be the one buying the gun for herself, but what the guy said led the Dealer to suspect the gun was actually for him not her and that she was buying it FOR him (not as a gift, but in place of him) and that he was going to be the owner.

Really this should be a non issue because of the 2nd Amendment, but this is the law.

Most of the time these get discovered is when someone (the strawman) who obviously has no clue what they are looking at asks for and buys a specific type of gun without "trying it out" or asking questions about it first. Reason being is someone else sent them there to purchase that gun on their behalf and is using the strawman's clean record to acquire the gun.

or

Sometimes, someone (bad guy) looks at a gun at a store, walks away from it, and a few minutes later another person (the strawman) comes in and buys that exact gun, without hesitation, fills out the paperwork, and buys it, then they both leave. together.

EDIT: Here you go this explains it better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_purchase#Firearms

Last edited:
    Top Bottom