• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Too bad the city officials pushing this couldn't be on the tab for it.

That's the next step. Make the politicians personally bear the cost of illegal legislation a la Florida.

I know I go off on my crusades, but heck, it took over three decades for anyone to take me serious about moving suppressors to Title I. It may take a little time for the General Assembly to amend the preemption statute to make the politicians responsible.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I did not know you could appeal before a trial

The amount of legal wrangling that can go on before, during and after a trial is ridiculous. That's why we have inmates being put to death after 10 or 15 years on death row. After having their whole case argument blown up twice now hopefully the city gets a clue and chooses to settle and cut their losses.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I did not know you could appeal before a trial

Yes, that kind of thing is called an "interlocutory" appeal, unless the court dismisses it, which is a "final" order. If it is a final order, then it is just a regular appeal of that order.

This is the second time it has gone up on an interlocutory appeal. That's pretty rare, in my experience.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes, that kind of thing is called an "interlocutory" appeal, unless the court dismisses it, which is a "final" order. If it is a final order, then it is just a regular appeal of that order.

This is the second time it has gone up on an interlocutory appeal. That's pretty rare, in my experience.

That reminds me. I have to finish a motion for the COA to take jurisdiction. Oh the joys of App. R. 14.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That reminds me. I have to finish a motion for the COA to take jurisdiction. Oh the joys of App. R. 14.

Filed a relatively important Appellant's Brief yesterday electronically. (Aren't they ALL relatively important?) The new efiling formatting rules were strange from my old-school perspective. (Why can't the TOC pages have romanette numbering?) And I love efiling generally.

In other litigation, our firm resisted an opponent's motion to certify in the trial court and won at that level. That was a good day.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You two are killing me, and I went to law school with the explicit plan of becoming an appellate lawyer. When I won the first moot court trial competition I tried, I realized I much prefer arguing in person on the fly. We don't need no stinkeen TOC!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You two are killing me, and I went to law school with the explicit plan of becoming an appellate lawyer. When I won the first moot court trial competition I tried, I realized I much prefer arguing in person on the fly. We don't need no stinkeen TOC!

I have many published appeals to my name (over about 19 years) and have not argued an appellate case live since moot court. Regularly in the trial courts, but never had an oral argument in the COA or Sup. Ct.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    May be counting chickens before they are hatched (some really old eggs here too), but INGO should have an open carry picnic in the park when E-ville finally throws in the towel.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

I have many published appeals to my name (over about 19 years) and have not argued an appellate case live since moot court. Regularly in the trial courts, but never had an oral argument in the COA or Sup. Ct.

Haven't written an appeal since I was a law clerk in law school. I have "people" that write them for me these days. I do write PCR's though.

What I like about appeals: that the record is "frozen" and it comes down to ability to argue the application of the law to the established (mostly) facts.
    What I like about trials: the drama that comes from being absolutely absorbed and focused on one set of things on a dynamic "field."
    What I like about transactions: everything. :)
    What I like about PCRs: nothing. :)

Back in the day, I know I had more ISC oral arguments than COA (capital cases only get ISC review, even on PCR appeal). I think I even had more 7th Circuit habeas oral arguments than Indiana COA arguments.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What I like about appeals: there are no billing guidelines or rubrics that demonstrate what is excessive or not.
    What I like about trials: the insurer expects 14+ hour billable days.

...are you sensing a trend?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom