• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drive through Permit NOT Honored State?

• Total voters

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The document I provided, from the ISP, clearly states: Unloaded, locked in a case. They are points 1 and 2 in the first list of that document. I posted the link earlier in this thread.

Point 3 requires that you have a FOID card, but if then refer to the court case it says that any out of state resident who has a LTCH would be exempt from needed the FOID card. See the court case, page 4, paragraph 3. I posted the link earlier in the thread.

As for the "cased" portion, see the top of page 8 of the court case. You may want to read all of page 7 and then page 8 will make more sense, but it clearly states that the center console of your vehicle is a case. So read page 8, paragraphs 1, 2 and 3.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    When I travel I just leave my pistol in the trunk, unloaded. What I'd like to do is check my pistol while flying, but so far I've been too afraid of being arrested when walking in the front door of the airport. Has anyone flown with a checked handgun?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    When I travel I just leave my pistol in the trunk, unloaded. What I'd like to do is check my pistol while flying, but so far I've been too afraid of being arrested when walking in the front door of the airport. Has anyone flown with a checked handgun?

I've flown with all sorts of guns. Lock them in an approved case, check them in with security, don't let them put a big FIREARM sticker on the case! Never had a hassle. I've always flown through Chicago's O'Hare Airport with my guns, usually down to Atlanta, GA.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    The document I provided, from the ISP, clearly states: Unloaded, locked in a case. They are points 1 and 2 in the first list of that document. I posted the link earlier in this thread.
    not disagreeing with this. also the top portion pertains to IL resident, there is a separate section for non-residents stating it HAS to be broken down or inaccessible.

Point 3 requires that you have a FOID card, but if then refer to the court case it says that any out of state resident who has a LTCH would be exempt from needed the FOID card. See the court case, page 4, paragraph 3. I posted the link earlier in the thread.
    never disagreed with this either

As for the "cased" portion, see the top of page 8 of the court case. You may want to read all of page 7 and then page 8 will make more sense, but it clearly states that the center console of your vehicle is a case. So read page 8, paragraphs 1, 2 and 3.
    again, never disagreed.

Ive never disagreed or argured with anything you stated here. Ever since my first post on this thread you've argued against the requirement of having the firearm disassembles or not immediately accessible.

You still have not proven this requirement false or optional, nor do any of the documents you or I have provided.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You still have not proven this requirement false or optional, nor do any of the documents you or I have provided.
    Spend time carefully reading the court case. It clearly pertains to a NON-resident and ruled the gun does not have to be disassembled.

Further the ISP document is not limited to IL residents although it does mention them. You are not properly reading the document because it clearly has a section pertaining to NON-residents and says that the gun can be stored unloaded in a case or disassembled.

Further, as the court has ruled that compartments are cases, which also renders the gun inaccessible, then you clearly can be a NON-resident AND not disassemble the gun if you simply stow it, unloaded, in your center console.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Some great dialogue regarding transporting in the People's Republic. I learned a long time ago about being right and being dead right. My luck, I would get a LEO that would prefer to let the courts figure it out. That would be being dead right. Sucks as it does.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I just flew to Colorado (and boy are my arms tired!) brought my P-11, carried in Colorado, then carried as we drove to Utah, once we left the hotel in Utah, unloaded and locked it away as we got to Nevada, and finally into Khaliphornia, where they pretty much have taken away the 2nd amendment......

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I just drove to Breckenridge for a Family Spring Break ski trip - unloaded and far away from me in Illinois - got to Iowa and was comfortable again - I do have a Utah permit and will have my Sig P239 on me all week. I went to Gun smoke today and will post in the general section

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Everything I've read, along with what you have provided, says otherwise. I've even quoted the text from each document where this is stated. I reread your first link on the court subject and cannot find this ruling you speak of. If you can quote that ruling or show me a state document stating this, I would believe you. I want to, very much so. Until I can read this for my self, I just can go along with you interpretation of the law.
    Google up "Illinois Supreme court gun rulings" and eventually you'll find a ruling about a year ago where they overruled a trial and appellate court ruling on what constitutes a "case" and about non-residents needing a license from their home state. The jist is this: You can have an UNLOADED pistol in your glove compartment, front center console or rear center console, among other places, and as long as the compartment has a lid that is closed (IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE LOCKED OR EVEN HAVE A LOCKING LID) it is LEGAL (sorry for all the shouting but that's for emphasis.) Furthermore the law is silent about ammo and you can have a loaded magazine laying in the compartment next to the pistol and you are legal. The last time I drove through the state I had my pistol with slide locked open in the van center console which was closed and a loaded magazine in my pocket.

Mellonsdad is correct so apologize already!!

(Furthermore, the SC ruling involved a case where an indiana resident was arrested in Chicago. It can't get much worse than that.)

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Illinois is a PITA and will be until they get rid of the corrupt Democrat Machine that controls them from Chicago. Until then I am avoiding that state.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Google up "Illinois Supreme court gun rulings" and eventually you'll find a ruling about a year ago where they overruled a trial and appellate court ruling on what constitutes a "case" and about non-residents needing a license from their home state. The jist is this: You can have an UNLOADED pistol in your glove compartment, front center console or rear center console, among other places, and as long as the compartment has a lid that is closed (IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE LOCKED OR EVEN HAVE A LOCKING LID) it is LEGAL (sorry for all the shouting but that's for emphasis.) Furthermore the law is silent about ammo and you can have a loaded magazine laying in the compartment next to the pistol and you are legal. The last time I drove through the state I had my pistol with slide locked open in the van center console which was closed and a loaded magazine in my pocket.

Mellonsdad is correct so apologize already!!

(Furthermore, the SC ruling involved a case where an indiana resident was arrested in Chicago. It can't get much worse than that.)
    There is even a group in Illinois that is pushing the idea that a fanny pack is considered a "case" and claiming you can carry on your person that way. Noooo way in Hades would I push that envelope.

Top Bottom