• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, I'll be getting married at the end of September, and we're driving to Niagra Falls on the Canada side. From what we see, it'll be roughly 8 hours or so.

I've never gone out of country before, and I've never driven to the states between here and there for the most part. They are, how you say... undesirable to me, to say the least.

Has anyone here made the drive before? What route did you take, and would you/would you not take that same route again in the future? Ideally, I'm trying to avoid questionable areas like upper-Michigan. Seeing as how I can't bring any protection with me, at all, unless there's some loophole somewhere that I'm unaware of.

We got our Niagra Falls trip on Groupon, included a bunch of extras and whatnot. Oh, and when I'm there... what's the best method of finding a Cuban cigar :P

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Toll on the highway to Buffalo is steep... Dunno what it is now, but the last (and only) time I did it in like 1997 it was $8. In that section of the country take the state highways if you have the time, it's gorgeous.

Crossing at Niagra is pretty easy, they get lots of tourism and don't hassle folks for the most parts. If you want to travel with a weapon it is possible to rent lockers on the NY side for a few days for general stuff, but you have to search around for them (no, I don't have links, last time I did was 5 years ago).

The B&Bs on the Canada side were relatively cheap and very friendly.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Toll on the highway to Buffalo is steep... Dunno what it is now, but the last (and only) time I did it in like 1997 it was $8. In that section of the country take the state highways if you have the time, it's gorgeous.

Crossing at Niagra is pretty easy, they get lots of tourism and don't hassle folks for the most parts. If you want to travel with a weapon it is possible to rent lockers on the NY side for a few days for general stuff, but you have to search around for them (no, I don't have links, last time I did was 5 years ago).

The B&Bs on the Canada side were relatively cheap and very friendly.

What's it like crossing the border? Like I said, I've never done it. I imagine that area would be more casual since, like you said, a lot of tourism. Do we need to prepare or have anything ready aside from the passport?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Go up through Detroit / Windsor, ON.

Come back through NY / PA / OH. Make a big circle!

I've not done the border crossing in a car. From my understanding, it'll be easier / quicker to get into CA than back into the USA. Be sure that you don't even have any Cuban cigar wrappers or empty cigar boxes - that'll cause you grief. Don't attempt to smuggle a cigar, either. (Just be aware, that, much like auto knives were here in IN for a long time - same way with Cubans. Most folks want them just because they can't have them - not because they're some how better)

Get your passports NOW if you don't already have them. End of September is really really really pushing the time line if you don't already have it. You may have to pay the higher fee for expedited service.

Seriously - don't sweat Canada. The only major differences: Speed limits in KPH, and gasoline is priced/sold by Liter. And it is indeed more expensive.

Go up, have fun, see the sights, take pictures. Stop at a winery or 8 on your way home.

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What's it like crossing the border? Like I said, I've never done it. I imagine that area would be more casual since, like you said, a lot of tourism. Do we need to prepare or have anything ready aside from the passport?

Nope, just passport. They MAY ask to see insurance for your vehicle and make sure your coverage extends to Canada (some don't).

Also, don't worry about exchanging currency, they accept dollars just fine all over. It's kind odd giving a $5 bill for something and getting more than $5 Canadian back 8-)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just there a couple of weeks ago.

From Northeast IN I followed US30 east (all four lane with no stoplights), I-71, I-271, I-90 (tolls in New York), I-190 in Buffalo and crossed at the Peace Bridge. No wait on the Saturday afternoon we crossed the border. Return on Queenstown Bridge sucked for wait time as well as Sunday afternoon during our tour on the Whirlpool Bridge. Go her for wait times: www.niagrafallsbridges.com

Call your auto insurance agent and get a letter indicating Canadian coverage. No cost for me, just call a couple weeks ahead of time.

Have both of your passports. Also keep copies of your passports in your luggage or someplace in case they get lost.

Figure out your cell phone coverage. In my case I think calls were Roaming but not too expensive. It was the Data that was a potential killer. On our iPhone we went to Settings, General, Cellular and turned Cellular Data OFF. Then only used hotel WiFi to check e-mail, etc.

NO NO items are tobacco, liquor, weapons, fruit, radar detectors. Read the rules. This includes No Pepper Spray into Canada. Be careful about knives and consider declaring when asked about weapons. In my case when asked about weapons I said "I have a knife for camping" which I did along with our tent and camping gear. You can take a knife as a tool, but not a knife as a weapon. Be careful how easily any folders open.

Border crossing is pretty easy but the folks in the booths do take their jobs seriously. Hand them your passport and they will ask: Country of citizenship? Purpose of visit? How long? Any weapons, tobaco, liquor, fruit? May be additional questions but these are the standard ones. Pretty straight forward at with all four of our border crossings that weekend. No inspection or any interaction beyond the four questions through our car window.

Keep receipts for your shopping. Saw lots of signs in shops for Cuban Cigars so should not be too hard to find, just know what you are looking for.

Enjoy your trip. We had a great time. Do the Maid of the Mist and the other touristy stuff. Parking is a mess so consider a tour, we did one that was about 8 hours for $100 +/- that included the admission for a few items and a driver in a van with eight of us. Drive north and hike(walk) the gorge and go to Niagra on the Lake for a quieter, quant setting vs. the carnival atmosphere near the falls.

Exchange rate was even while we were there. $1.00 = $1.00. They typically give you change in Canadian so try to spend it down before you leave.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How is the Mich. U.P. questionable?

I'd suggest the full circle route. There's some decent wineries in PA near the lake!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Just there a couple of weeks ago.

From Northeast IN I followed US30 east (all four lane with no stoplights), I-71, I-271, I-90 (tolls in New York), I-190 in Buffalo and crossed at the Peace Bridge. No wait on the Saturday afternoon we crossed the border. Return on Queenstown Bridge sucked for wait time as well as Sunday afternoon during our tour on the Whirlpool Bridge. Go her for wait times: www.niagrafallsbridges.com

Call your auto insurance agent and get a letter indicating Canadian coverage. No cost for me, just call a couple weeks ahead of time.

Have both of your passports. Also keep copies of your passports in your luggage or someplace in case they get lost.

Figure out your cell phone coverage. In my case I think calls were Roaming but not too expensive. It was the Data that was a potential killer. On our iPhone we went to Settings, General, Cellular and turned Cellular Data OFF. Then only used hotel WiFi to check e-mail, etc.

NO NO items are tobacco, liquor, weapons, fruit, radar detectors. Read the rules. This includes No Pepper Spray into Canada. Be careful about knives and consider declaring when asked about weapons. In my case when asked about weapons I said "I have a knife for camping" which I did along with our tent and camping gear. You can take a knife as a tool, but not a knife as a weapon. Be careful how easily any folders open.

Border crossing is pretty easy but the folks in the booths do take their jobs seriously. Hand them your passport and they will ask: Country of citizenship? Purpose of visit? How long? Any weapons, tobaco, liquor, fruit? May be additional questions but these are the standard ones. Pretty straight forward at with all four of our border crossings that weekend. No inspection or any interaction beyond the four questions through our car window.

Keep receipts for your shopping. Saw lots of signs in shops for Cuban Cigars so should not be too hard to find, just know what you are looking for.

Enjoy your trip. We had a great time. Do the Maid of the Mist and the other touristy stuff. Parking is a mess so consider a tour, we did one that was about 8 hours for $100 +/- that included the admission for a few items and a driver in a van with eight of us. Drive north and hike(walk) the gorge and go to Niagra on the Lake for a quieter, quant setting vs. the carnival atmosphere near the falls.

Exchange rate was even while we were there. $1.00 = $1.00. They typically give you change in Canadian so try to spend it down before you leave.

Right On :yesway:, on the Canadian side there's a restaurant at the top of the round building that rotates, It has an excellent view of the Falls. The tour was a great idea for us, we did most all without driving, parking or getting lost. We stayed on the American side - Have a Great Time and the Maid of the Mist is AWESOME

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Do they make you declare toilet tanks? They still have the real ones up there, as I understand. I wanted a PFK (KFC) bucket from Quebec but didn't get one. My few interactions with the border people made the XGF nervous but bureaucrats and I don't mix well historically. The Canadian side of the falls is much better.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I mispoke, not UP, just Detroit :)

While the City of Detroit has always been a pit recent events would make me avoid the city entirely. It has been a while since I did the crossing at Windsor and the drive through Ontario to Hamilton. My recollection is that it's not all that scenic or special although we were going to a destination and basically driving straight through. A combination of industrial, suburb and farmland is my memory. About the only reason to make that loop would be if you are hardcore Shakespere fans and want to take in a couple of plays in Stratford.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd still be quite tempted to cross at Windsor and then hug the shore on the smaller roads.

Google Maps shows plenty of routes - but I'd sure want a good GPS + a paper map to have.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Do NOT take your pistol or any of your knives. Especially your automatic knives unless you wish to leave them forever with the border guard.

I took a motorcycle trip, (Called Four Corners) one summer with some friends and when we crossed into Canada to get to Alaska, we found that one of our group had a gun in his saddlebags. Mind you, we all were armed throughout the majority of the trip but we left these items at the house of a friend before we left for Alaska. He decided to take a chance they wouldn't search his saddle bags. Hmmmm, a bunch of Harley's with a bunch of hairy guys with scraggly long hair and big bushy beards that stank like the road, Naw, who'd search us? We had trouble merely because they said our exhaust systems weren't up to snuff, we had straight pipes after all. :): He figures no one will search us. I thought they were going to arrest the lot of us. Guns appeared and I thought they had the SWAT team there as the M16's came a running all for a little 5 round revolver.

We did get out of it OK, he lost his gun and we all lost our pocket knives (little biddy trappers and the like) but I do not suggest you trying this yourself. This was 20 years ago and a DL was enough to cross and return to the USA. I can only imagine what it would be like now if that happened.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As soon as you cross the border there is a huge store where you can buy all the cigars and liquor and cigs you want. I'm not sure what the current limit is but you ARE or were allowed to bring back Cuban cigars for personal consumption (I think the limit is 2 boxes?), you will have to declare tem or if you wanna risk it dont but if they find them if they search your at they will confiscate them and smoke them at the next border patrol BBQ.
    have fun an deffinately go to the falls at night to see the light show.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As soon as you cross the border there is a huge store where you can buy all the cigars and liquor and cigs you want. I'm not sure what the current limit is but you ARE or were allowed to bring back Cuban cigars for personal consumption (I think the limit is 2 boxes?), you will have to declare tem or if you wanna risk it dont but if they find them if they search your at they will confiscate them and smoke them at the next border patrol BBQ.
    have fun an deffinately go to the falls at night to see the light show.

From what I'm reading, you cannot bring them back at all, for any reason. Granted, this is just a game of "getting caught" or not. You won't suffer an embargo infraction, they'll just confiscate and you'll be on your way.

Warthog said:
    Do not take your pistol or knives...

What sorts of knives would be OK? I've got a little Benchmade 553 folder, or a Kershaw open-assist... Again, I don't expect to have my car searched for any reason. Nor do I plan to give anyone a reason.

I like someone else's idea of locking up the gun in a safe in NY. Maybe grab a cheap gun for the ride-along... But I'll have to check each state's car/gun laws.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I walked across last year. The Asians ahead of us were not US citizens and walked right through, the middle easterners ahead of them were likewise and had no problem. I was grilled about weapons, alcohol, drugs, and how long I was going to stay. Hey, I'm 60's and clean cut and wasn't wearing an NRA shirt. I have no plan s to go back.

Edjer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took a driving trip to the Canadian side with my wife and two kids a few years ago. We really had a lot of fun and I highly recommend the Maid of the Mist. After Niagara Falls, we drove to Toronto, then to Montreal for a few days, then south to Lake Placid for five more days (minimum stay that week!) while I did Ironman USA, then back to Floyds Knobs.

We breezed through customs from the USA into Niagara Falls, but on our way from Montreal to Lake Placid the border crossing took forever. The agents were very puzzled over why my racing bike was traveling inside the van instead of on a hitch rack outside the van. They made me open all the doors are the poked around a little. They finally became satisfied that I was transporting a carbon triathlon bike and not some fancy explosive and allowed us to re-enter the USA.

To this day, our kids still talk about how much fun that trip was. Enjoy!

Top Bottom