• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever had a firearm stolen from or with a vehicle?

• Total voters

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Interesting, if somewhat vitriolic opinions by some.

Some people have guns for the specific purpose of leaving in the car. It's amusing that one who is the victim of a crime is the irresponsible one to some people through having a firearm stolen from a locked vehicle.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    no i, but know someone who did, he said nobody would be stupid enough to steal from me. well now he feel like and idiot. his car stays locked at all time now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've left a gun unsecured in a car many times. I've yet to find a good way to carry in a water park, and I'm not going unarmed between the house and the pool/amusement park/etc.

When I was in uniform, I took a bajillion vehicle break-in reports. Seriously, probably hundreds over the years. A few times a gun was stolen. Almost every vehicle break-in fit into two categories.

1) Valuables in plain view. Purses and laptop bags are the primary offenders, but sometimes electronics. Almost 100% of break ins at businesses fall into this category.
    2) Car left unlocked at night and was went through. Almost 100% of break ins at residences fall into this category. In nicer neighborhoods, EVERY break in was an unlocked car.

The few that didn't fit those were probably personal. Domestic situations and the like. Thieves are lazy and they aren't going through the trouble of breaking glass to root around and MAYBE find something. They pick a target they know is going to pay off.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I knew there was some level of finite risk associated with storing/leaving a firearm in a vehicle, and started this thread to try to get a ballpark estimate of it.

So far, with 142 respondents, there's roughly a 50/50 split between INGOers who do not typically leave/store a gun in a vehicle and those who do.

What's most interesting to me, however, are the numbers for those of us who do sometimes leave/store a gun in a vehicle. Of the 65 people in this category, 15 have had a firearm stolen. That's 23% or almost a 1 in 4 chance - quite a bit higher than I thought it would be.

Looks like some kind of secure, lockable vehicle storage is a good investment!

Thanks for all the votes cast in the poll so far.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I knew there was some level of finite risk associated with storing/leaving a firearm in a vehicle, and started this thread to try to get a ballpark estimate of it.

So far, with 142 respondents, there's roughly a 50/50 split between INGOers who do not typically leave/store a gun in a vehicle and those who do.

What's most interesting to me, however, are the numbers for those of us who do sometimes leave/store a gun in a vehicle. Of the 65 people in this category, 15 have had a firearm stolen. That's 23% or almost a 1 in 4 chance - quite a bit higher than I thought it would be.

Looks like some kind of secure, lockable vehicle storage is a good investment!

Thanks for all the votes cast in the poll so far.

I think there are quite a few variables that are difficult to track, if they are ever tracked.
    What kind of vehicle?
    Where do you park with frequency?
    How long does vehicle set unattended?
    Regular parking patterns?
    Other theft invites left in plain view?
    Bumper stickers and or other advertisements of "FIREARMS INSIDE" ?
    Do people know you as the "gun guy," likely with guns in vehicle?
    Talking about where and how you stow your car guns on a public forum?:rolleyes:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For sure. And this isn't a random sample, etc. so not statistically valid.

Still, much higher than I expected.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Just some local empirically gathered statistics for those that are interested.

When i worked at a valet parking service that parked cars at the Indpls airport someone had a gun stolen about every month. Thieves would break into the gated area at night and rifle through the unattended cars until they found what they wanted. They often found the "hidden" gun under the seat or in the glovebox.

At every colts game there are approximately 20-30 car break ins. Every car that gets broken into has either left a purse, laptop (iPad), or gun in the car. It's very common. Much more common than you may think as it doesn't really get reported. High break in areas are places where people know they have a captive audience. IE if you park downtown at a pay lot, thieves know you'll be at the colts game from start-end. Another place where cars get broken into all the time are gyms. Thieves know people leave their purses wallets and phones in the car. It's almost 80% that you will find something of value just breaking in without even looking.

Until you have this or something similar happen you don't really expect it to happen. You can't really blame people for continually engaging in behavior that has no consequences. You may be inclined not to own a safe as for the price of a safe you can get another rife or 5. The day your house/car gets broken into you're priorities should shift.

Armored Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Columbus, Indiana
    I have a hidden metal gun lock box in my vehicle, but as soon as she SOBs would see it, they would pry it out and steal the whole thing. To answer the poll, no I have not had one stolen.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Saw this article today and thought of this thread from some time ago. (Too bad all the INGO poll results from the prior system are lost. Just another example of Internet Rot.)

If I recall correctly, it's was something like 20%+ in the poll that had had a gun stolen from/with a vehicle.

Anywhoo, in addition to the principle of "not looking for trouble" that Claude uses this incident to illustrate, if you're going to leave a firearm in a vehicle - secure it. It's way too easy to not do it. Firearms stolen from/with vehicles isn't the rare occurrence it should be.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Another poor attempt at snarky humor. Is school out already.

Honestly people, if you think leaving you firearm "hidden" in a locked car is secure then you live in a fantasy world. A secure lockbox bolted to your vehicle is the BARE minimum.

You spend thousands of dollars buying guns to defend yourself and your families but then leave that firearm hidden (read-unsecured) in your car. You just armed the gang bangers...thanks.

For G*ds sake, use your brains and think.

Personal responsibility is a real thing folks, take some.
    In my personal opinion (like Asxholxs everyone has one) the only loss if a firearm is stolen is monetary. Any "Gang member" or criminal wanting a firearm can obtain one in many other ways other than stealing one from your car.

Some "gang members" probably have a larger collection of illegally obtained firearms then many members here. I am 80 years old and don't currently visit bars but have seen several gun sales take place in bars.

Most are legal but many times someone was talking about purchasing a firearm and another patron said "I've got one I will sell you for $XX and a half hour or so later the sale is completed.

I would wager I could walk into a lot of bars and mention to the bartender I have some cash "like $500" and am wanting to buy a handgun -and in a few minutes an offer to sell would be forthcoming!

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    No I have not I do my best to keep everything locked up or on my person. Thieves will take anything gotta be careful out there. Although I have had stuff stolen (not a weapon) that was locked up I know the pain. HATE THIEVES!

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I haven't had a firearm stolen from my vehicle. Just recently we went to a White Sox game. I was giving this possibility much thought. Go to Chicago unarmed and not worry about the vehicle being broken into or have my pistol and worry about it during the game. With it being a day game I chose not to bring a gun. I am going to start looking for a high quality lock box that Secures to the vehicle to lock the pistol up in these situations in the future.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Too bad the poll data has been lost on all the old threads. I want to say the affirmative responses were in the twenties percent somewhere for this one.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Sorry I missed this thread first time around!
    IMO, my car or truck being locked and out of sight is sufficiently secured. If it is stolen, chances are damage to my vehicle will be more than the loss of the firearm. Not much different than the security of my home. I have always left a handgun and usually a PCC in my car and truck. When I was working I couldn’t carry at work. Even before they passed the law about storing in a vehicle while at work I still left one in my vehicle. My opinion of having one in a vehicle is if I need it, I need it now! Not after getting out, opening the trunk, fumbling with the mega lock key on the mega trunk gun safe. If I have time for that I have plenty of time to extricate myself from the situation.
    Only time I had a situation where a gun may have been stolen from my car was when my Z-28 was stolen from the gym. At the time I only had one spare handgun and it was in my truck that day. Part of the police chase did make its way on to the news though!
    Matt

Top Bottom