• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    "These heavy rains really Test our systems" - EverDry Service dude on the phone this morning. Not everything passes a test it is given.

Back Story: EverDry had a booth at the State Fairgrounds last year when we went for some show (home and garden related)... Noticing some old water damage in our crawlspace and 2 non-functioning sump pumps, we decided to give them a call.

My living situation is a little strange - I am living in what was my grandparents' house, on terms that I need to make certain repairs to the house and oversee contract work for other repairs. This was one that I was on the overseeing portion of, and paid for by the trust that holds my grandparents' assets (including the house).

this was roughly $9000 to have an exterior drain put in, a new sump pit dug with a new sump pump and a dry-well installed - to contain water from sump and drain, and a ventilation system installed... all with guarantees out the wazoo about not even having a damp crawlspace floor. Sounded great at the time...

About 3 months after I had the work done, I went into the crawl for some electrical. I found that:
    • Rather than inform me about the non-functioning outlet in the crawlceiling that was within reach of the ventilation system's power cord, they daisy-chained 2 extension cords across the floor of the crawl.
    • Rather than dig a new sump pit, they dropped a new pump in an old pit (the one that the estimator guy said was woefully inadequate). The supervisor tried to tell me that because it said a new pit was used in their work, that means a new one was dug and installed. I fail to see how paint that dried 5 months before this sump was allegedly installed managed to drip onto the new sump. I tried explaining that to him and he said I was "clouding the issue by talking about stuff that was done 6 months before we got there."
    • When they installed the vent, they cut a 2x2.5" notch in the bottom edge of a joist, even with the leader board, and impinging on a knot in the joist. (Their project supervisor tried to tell me this was a) code permitted - it's not and b) not structurally significant - why did the joist crack then?)

After a day of waiting for them to return my call to customer support, I filed a complaint with the BBB, and they called within the hour. The above conditions were rectified to my satisfaction within a week.

Well, anyway, a picture is worth 1000 words, and I've got a whole album of them... enjoy!

Bottom Line: I cannot in good conscience recommend this company's services. Even to someone I didn't like. They damaged my home, didn't do work they were contracted to do, introduced a fire hazard (extension cord in a potentially wet location), and their supervisor treated me like **** when I called them out on it. Now I find out we paid for an intermittent swimming pool that we already had.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You DO know that the BBB is their to serve their members, not the buying public, right? I'm really surprised you received such a rapid response. We've called the BBB in the past for issues and their response to us is "They aren't a member organization".

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Sorry to hear your experience. Question I have though is why did you not inspect the work as it was being done or after it was completed? Whenever I have to hire out work on my house, albeit rare, Im on the contractor like a hawk. If they dont like me supervising their work, they can leave.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Question I have though is why did you not inspect the work as it was being done or after it was completed?
    Work was done the day after I brought my newborn home from the hospital. I had other things on my mind at the time and for a couple months after. Also, this company had a very good reputation. I'm not quite sure how from what I've seen.
    You DO know that the BBB is their to serve their members, not the buying public, right? I'm really surprised you received such a rapid response. We've called the BBB in the past for issues and their response to us is "They aren't a member organization".
    Yes, I'm aware. They did provide an avenue for a rather rapid response from the company. The company has I think 8 days to respond to any complaints and rectify them before it actually lodges as a complaint. Thats how places can stay "Complaint free" for a long time.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    You didn't actually go check the references with your own two eyes did you. You did get references prior, right.

BBB is a joke for the most part.

Is the grade around the house all slopped away from the house?

Two sump pump pits in a crawl would tell me that no, the grade is not correct around the house.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear about your situation OP. I had these guys come look at a leaky wall. They wanted to do the same tear up they did for you for about the same price. I listen to guy's sales pitch and mold scares, then sent him packing.

The contractor that did the CORRECT work and I had a good laugh about these hucksters.

Top Bottom