• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    Hey all, I have a Cugir made Romak-1, 7.62x39 AKM and I've been researching like crazy to find more out about this rifle, specifically in regards to where in the line of quality it is compared to a CUR/SAR/WASR rifle. These Romaks seem to be pretty rare and info on them is scarce. Does anyone know much about this?

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I beleive the CUGIR were right aft the CUR series before the SAR, but I forget if it preceeded the CUR. They are pretty much right there. Early in the lineage.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There is a little info here on the Romak 1 along with a listing and info on the other Romanians that were imported.

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/model.shtml#romak1

It seems the main issue with the Romak 1 was that some of them had round cutouts in the rear of the receiver in an attempt to prevent the installation of a standard AKM buttstock.

The nice thing about them was that with the standard Romak 3 type buttstock, also seen on the PSL series, they had 100% Romanian parts. Unfortunately to "legally" install a standard pistol grip and stock you would have to reduce the imported parts count down to 10 per the 1968 GCA, the section of which is commonly just called 922(r).

If it does have the round cuts in the receiver, Ironwood Designs makes a stock specifically for that model.

Nice rifle, and yes it is very rare and not often seen in public!

Top Bottom