• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    I bought a 50's Mossberg M42 from a friend of my in-laws over the summer for 50 bucks. Took it home and could only get it to fire 1 out of 5 rounds. It appears I'm getting light strikes on the rim. Anyone have any suggestions to get her back in firing condition? I didn't buy it to shoot it a lot, just for the historical factor but it would be nice to have it in firing condition.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Could just need a new firing pin spring or the firing pin channel could be gunked up and just need a good cleaning. You can contact these guys for Mossberg parts: Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts You might also give Numrich a call... 42M. Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts They don't show a firing pin spring, but they may have been called something else. I'm not as familiar with rimfires as I am with centerfire bolt actions.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I believe the m42 was military trainer so the CMP most likely has some parts. Maybe not but on the forums there you might find and answer. I do believe the spring is weak.

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    I believe the m42 was military trainer so the CMP most likely has some parts. Maybe not but on the forums there you might find and answer. I do believe the spring is weak.
    You are correct. I also believe the spring is weak. The firing pin seems sharp still. I will give her a good cleaning and see if that helps. If not, I'll be checking out the site Doggy suggested.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm guessing you can't get parts at these prices anymore... :):

ex-model-42s.jpg

Top Bottom