Experience with AR Build "Reaction Rod"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I got the knockoff from botach, I love mine. It's rock solid, and super quick to put an upper on or take one off. I'd buy it all over again.
    It still doesn't completely replace the clamshell type. Still need it for 9mm or 22lr uppers.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What blocks/tools do you experienced folks use for torquing 9mm barrels?

I use a block similar to this for all barrels of all calibers....

I put the upper in the vice sideways, with a block of wood along the top rail. so it's not really torqueing on the pins.
    I like the idea of the reaction rod, and if I didn't already have the tools, it'd probably start there. but I don't see a need to upgrade.

-rvb

760543.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks RVB. My block that looks similar to that one but fits deeper up into the upper. My side charging NewFrontier upper won't fit over it enough to use the pins. Your sideways vise tip would have worked out well, had I not barrelled the upper yesterday. :rolleyes: I got it done holding the upper down on the block with one hand and torquing with the other.

Y2LdGnM.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks RVB. My block that looks similar to that one but fits deeper up into the upper. My side charging NewFrontier upper won't fit over it enough to use the pins. Your sideways vise tip would have worked out well, had I not barrelled the upper yesterday. :rolleyes: I got it done holding the upper down on the block with one hand and torquing with the other.

Y2LdGnM.jpg

HA! well, I tried to help, I guess I need to pop into this forum more frequently! :)
    don't be afraid to modify the vice blocks. I've filed and cut on mine a few times to get them to work with different parts.
    -rvb

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have the Geissele (AR-15) and the Brownell (AR-10) version, and I prefer the way the Geissele has flats that get held by the vice, if I used the Brownell more often I'd weld a piece of bar stock into the hole in the rear. I haven't used the BEV as I bought the reaction rod(s) before it was released but it looks like a viable option. The clamshell works fine till you want to build anything other than a standard M4 flattop; then you have to mod the clamshell which risks applying uneven pressure.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Do any of you have experience with a "reaction rod" instead of using an jig on an upper with a clamp? Looks like an ingenious upgrade. Giessele makes one that gets rave reviews:

Geissele Reaction Rod AR-15 Vise Block Steel

Thoughts?

I have one and I'm close by if you want to check it out. I've done 20+ builds with it in the past 1 1/2 years I've had it. No complaints whatsoever. I also have a clamshell that really doesn't see much action anymore. I might pick up a BEV Block since they are cheap.

Top Bottom