Experienced 300 Blackout (AR type) gunsmith?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    So I have put together a 300 blackout AR and done all the tips & tricks to get them working when they don't cycle properly.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith with experience on these?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction before I have to start cold calling everyone in the book.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I'd rather not get into it here. I have done quite a bit of adjusting. I just need a gunsmith to look at it and tell me if I have some crappy parts or if there is some stoning/filing or some other gunsmith type stuff that can be done to work out the bugs.

I don't want to keep throwing money at it before having a pro look at it.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Never hurts to just answer a few questions. You never know--could be an easy fix.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If you can't give specs of a build, then how can we help?

The only difference between 300blk and 5.56 is the barrel AFAIK. What are you stoning/filing? Unless you are doing something illegal I see no reason to not post any info.
    Shooter is very knowledgable, and pretty sure he tunes ARs....you kinda dissed him.
    Are you trying to run suppressed? Length of barrel? Pistol or rifle buffer? Gas tube length and hole diameter?

These are all things you can answer and someone can point you in the right direction.
    If you cant answer these, then perhaps you should quit tinkering and buy a ready made upper.

I'm not trying to be an *******, you have just provided zero info other than caliber.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Any gunsmith is going to ask you to:

Describe the problem
    Give the specs on the ammo used...especially for an AAC300. Was it subsonic or supersonic? Factory or handload?
    Did you install the gas block or was it fitted when you purchased the barrel?

You may not get a correct answer on this site all of the time, but I've found that many folks are helpful here in identifying problems and their resolution.

If that doesn't fit with your objectives, good luck on your search.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I am asking for a gunsmith I can take it to. The other questions do not lead to that answer.
    I realize there is a lot of knowledge here and I appreciate you wanting to help but, I have done my research and it will not be answered with a few questions and a picture or two. It needs hands on adjustment from a trained eye at this point.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    any gunsmith that can't handle an AR, should not have that title. it is (for all intents and purposes) a standard 5.56 rifle.
    Yes, a 5.56 rifle is easy and should be no need for a gunsmith but the 300 Blackout is a completely different animal due to having a lot less powder and larger diameter bore making the pressure it does have drop at a much higher rate than a 5.56 as the projectile progresses down the barrel. That is why (from what I have seen) all 300 Blackout barrels have a carbine or pistol length gas block and not longer. Also a larger gas port so it is not as restricted.

Top Bottom