• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Question for the experts - I'm a one gun guy (for example have one shotgun, only one I've hunted with since 1991). I want a gun that I can basically shoot the hell out of and know how it works inside and out, idiosyncrasies and all. I'm selling a couple of revolvers that I have because I'm looking for a semi-auto. I've shot everything I've listed below except the Walther, so objectively, if you were looking for a home defense gun, fun to shoot at the range, that might occasionally be CC, which one would you recommend?

Sig P226 - heard they're really reliable, it fits my hand great and I shoot it well
    1911 - because I really need another hobby :cool:, also fits great and no problem finding parts if you need to fix it
    Walther P99 - only one I don't have any experience with, but I've heard good things
    Browning Hi-Power

Not interested in Glocks, or other polymer weapons (making an exception for the P99 because from what I've read it has the best stock trigger out of the box).

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If I could only have one, it would be a 1911. But if I could have two, the second would be a Sig.

Do you have an ammo preference? 45 acp in a 1911, 9mm/40 S&W (or .357 sig) in P226. The Sig will be cheaper to feed.

Handle them both and buy which feels better. Thinner grip with the single stack mag for the 1911. A little thicker for the double stack mags of the P226.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you really are only going to have one, I would pick the P226 of those listed, but I'd get an older model, preferably a W. German version. In fact, I would steer you to a P228. Second choice would be the Browning Hi-Power; a great gun but not a better pick than an old school P226. Third is the 1911. I love 1911's and have two of them. If a Wilson (or equivalent) is within your reach, the 1911 could even be 1st, but it has "idiosyncrasies", as you note, and not everyone likes them. And last for me would be the Walther - I have never shot one, so I can't objectively rank it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I agree with Hoosier45,

1911 for one you can detail srtip and know in and out.

Sig P226 if you want a 9mm.

For the Walther I would recomend looking into the new PPQ over the P99.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    No real ammo preference, was doing some lurking on a 1911 vs. P226 topic (different forum), someone had posted to get a 40cal P226, then get the 357Sig barrel and a 9mm conversion (don't remember mfr). Of course, you can also get 1911's in a bunch of different calibers if you have the scratch too. Biggest things to me are track record (know it's going to work), and of course it has to put the shots where I want them to go.

Also, as far as 1911's go, my budget is probably along the line of Springfield Armory Mil-Spec or Remington 1911R1. Would love to get a Wilson, Ed Brown, but I really have maybe only $800-$900 tops...

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My Sig P226 is chambered for .40 Ive heard you can buy a Factory replacement barrel in .357 and just drop it in and us the same mags.

Never tried it though.

Out of the 4 types of ammo (9mm, .357, .40 and .45) 9mm will be the cheapest to shoot alot. . 45 and .357 will be the most expensive

as far as a track record then the 1911 has all beat hands down. All of my Sigs have been 100% reliable, also alot of police and military uses them.

Ive heard .357 is more accurate than .40 and 9mm out of a Sig but Ive never shot it so i cant comment on that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Difficult to compare each of those!!

I'd put the 1911 and the HP in the same category: Single-action-only pistols. There can certainly be a different learning curve to single-action firearms.

Sig: DA/SA, I do not know if any variants can be carried hammer back / safety on - which would then kind of put it in the above category (as they're also carried hammer back, safety on). The first shot on a DA/SA pistol can cause lots of folks grief due to the initial trigger pull. Also, the 226 is BIG. The 229 would make a much better carry option, in my opinion. And yes, you could indeed get a 40 and get conversion barrels & mags for .357Sig and 9mm.

The Walther P99: I think that their AS trigger system is a mechanical marvel. Holsters are easier to find now than they were when I had 2 different P99s. 9mm mags aren't easy to find. Replacement parts are nigh-on impossible to come by. I found recoil on both the 9mm and .40 pistols that I had to be on the "flippy" end due to a high bore axis. Another poster suggested a new PPQ vs. the P99: I've not even handled a PPQ, but many folks think it's a good upgrade over the P99.

Each of your 4 options has strengths, each has weaknesses. Buy whichever feels best in your hand!

-J-

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Walther P99 - only one I don't have any experience neither do I so I omit it right off.

1911 not a poor choice. Has American history factor and the springfield mill-spec and loaded (The one I have shot alot) is a good bang for the buck. The tinker factor is there and so are all the aftermarket parts. big hole in bigger hole out and runs well loaded low and can be surpressed will in future if you want a host. Double tapped well with loaded down ammo. The loaded has a light rail might be a good HD option.

Sig p226 not a poor choice. Has the SEALS aproval factor. I shoot them well and followup shots were quicker on target for me than the springfeild loaded. They see, to be more accurate the faster you push the 9mm ammo. The more accurate rounds seem to be along the line of the loaded on follow up shots.

Browning Hi power not a poor choice. If you are going to carry this one everyday/sometimes it is by far the easiest to carry with the slim size and lines. I shoot these very well and they seem to be very accurate with milder 9mm loads. I can get back on target foor double taps quickly with this setup and the seem to point like your finger like the 1911. I like the brownings for overall quality of built. I am a bit of a rebal so the fact that 90% of the people on this forum would chose the 1911 or 226 I would just have to have something else.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Located in Indy, so Mishawaka isn't the easiest option. Think I'll scratch the P99; as good as the trigger may be, having parts that are hard to find will be a PITA, especially since I'm pretty much sticking with whatever I get for a long time. Plus I've never shot one before. Hopefully I'll have cash in hand next week for the 1500, then I guess it's see what I can find, and see what I like the best.

Thanks for the help!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I thought about trading my P99 for a PPQ so took my Walther to a shop and help them side by side. The triggers were virtually identical. I have a gen 1 so I have the extra decocking and dual action 1st shot feature. I decided to keep mine. The only point the PPQ wins is grip. It is one of my most accurate pistols. My Steyr is still my EDC though.

Parts availability? I'm not sure as it's never broken.

Do I like it over my 1911? I'm not sure. It's kinda like which one of your kids to you like better. :dunno:

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Congratulations on the 226 purchase! If you love yours like I love mine... You made the best choice of the four listed. I would recommend the short return trigger mod for the 226 when your ready... Helps keep those follow up shots close together! And the barrel options are great for changing caliber with ease.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If I were going to only have one 'go-to' semi auto handgun, from your list, I'd go with the Sig P226. Congrats on the good choice :yesway:

Choosing a 1911 over a quality, full size, double-stack handgun is just silly in the 'I want a gun that just works and is ready for anything' category. And I'm an amateur 1911 collector :):

I love my 1911s more than any other gun I own, but I'd trust my life to a Sig P226 (or SP2022/P229/P6, etc) or Glock or USP or M&P or FNX long before I would a 1911. I'm not saying the 1911 won't perform, I'm just saying choosing low capacity, complex internals, and multiple manual safeties in a defensive handgun is stacking the deck against yourself.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Everyone will say 1911. John Browning even opted to go the hi-cap 9mm route at the end of the day.

The P226 is a gun that will run lifetimes on top of lifetimes, and always be trouble/worry free. If you want something boringly reliable that you can "shoot the crap out of" and never have an issue, I'd say that's the best way to go.

If you reload, have the time and knowledge to cure all of the various stupid problems, and don't mind planning to "build" a gun after dropping $1000 on it out the door... Then sure a 1911 is a fantastic option. Just keep those things in mind when considering one.

And it seems you went with the P226. You'll never regret that one, unless you did like I did and bought one of the slightly over the top models. Then you'll always kick yourself wishing you would have got a base model.
    NNjFg.jpg

*cough*

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Everyone will say 1911. John Browning even opted to go the hi-cap 9mm route at the end of the day.

The P226 is a gun that will run lifetimes on top of lifetimes, and always be trouble/worry free. If you want something boringly reliable that you can "shoot the crap out of" and never have an issue, I'd say that's the best way to go.

If you reload, have the time and knowledge to cure all of the various stupid problems, and don't mind planning to "build" a gun after dropping $1000 on it out the door... Then sure a 1911 is a fantastic option. Just keep those things in mind when considering one.

And it seems you went with the P226. You'll never regret that one, unless you did like I did and bought one of the slightly over the top models. Then you'll always kick yourself wishing you would have got a base model.
    NNjFg.jpg

*cough*

Why do you wish you'd gotten a base model? That platinum elite is sweeeeet.

Top Bottom