Explain revolver frames for me please...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    K-frame, N-frame, J-frame...........i hear all these terms but i am not familiar with what they actually mean...if anyone has a quick link to a video or diagram or just wants to guide me through it, i would be very grateful

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    S&W revolvers, alphabetically from small to large.

Let me google that for you

zTheFiveSWFramesRTiltup.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    so they are simply size designations? and have nothing to do with the shape or anything?

You say that like it means nothing....

For goodness sakes man those are SMITH AND WESSON Revolvers...You do not change the shape of perfection....:):

I need a shot of Buffalo Trace just to get my heart pumping again....WHY GASTON????? WHY????????? YOU CREATED A GENERATION OF...Oh Nevermind.....:D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    See also M-frame and I-frame (no longer is production).

I got a little .32 Regulation Police from the twenties (and yes Kirk you 'shroom head lover it has the 'shroom head ejector, I thought I was the only guy on INGO who got as giddy a schoolgirl over those but you are worse!!!!) and I have got to say that little I frame is a joy to shoot...A 4 inch barrel gun that will actually ride in the front pocket of a pair of Carharts...I carry it that way up at the farm for use agin snakes and such when I want to have a "period correct" revolver around for our 100 year old Shack in the Woods...Really accurate and well made...I kind of wish they still made I frames...They were real popular down in Western Kentucky as "pocket guns" around the Coal Fields where my people are from....You know, "Where the air smelled like snakes we'd shoot with our pistols...But empty pop bottles was all we would kill...":):

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    You say that like it means nothing....

For goodness sakes man those are SMITH AND WESSON Revolvers...You do not change the shape of perfection....:):

I need a shot of Buffalo Trace just to get my heart pumping again....WHY GASTON????? WHY????????? YOU CREATED A GENERATION OF...Oh Nevermind.....:D

dont be too hard on gaston...at the end of the day, his firearms are better than his blinds

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I got a little .32 Regulation Police from the twenties (and yes Kirk you 'shroom head lover it has the 'shroom head ejector, I thought I was the only guy on INGO who got as giddy a schoolgirl over those but you are worse!!!!)

I'll have you know that I'm a manly man. There's nothing wrong with loving Smith and Wesson revolvers. They are just so . . . dreamy. *giggles and runs away*

*Writes "I love old S&W revolvers" over and over on his Trapper Keeper*

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    yep, as others have said, it's simply size designations.
    Since there are multiple variations within each size (like barrel length, material, etc.) it's probably best to think of it as the size of the cylinder and frame (excluding perhaps the grip, which may have a few variations within the same size family --- not sure on this)
    *not barrel length
    *not caliber

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'll have you know that I'm a manly man. There's nothing wrong with loving Smith and Wesson revolvers. They are just so . . . dreamy. *giggles and runs away*

*Writes "I love old S&W revolvers" over and over on his Trapper Keeper*

Admit it....You have a copy of "Sixguns" by Keith laying right by your "Tiger Beat" magazine with Shaun Cassidy on the cover dont you?:):

"KIRK!!!!! Turn down your Bay City Rollers record RIGHT NOW!!! And no you can't have a shag haircut you hippie...."

"Can I have a Dirty Harry haircut then?"

"Yes"

"Sweet...."

Top Bottom