• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    From their perspective, it would seem rather arbitrary and somewhat random. Do you every let them in on your rule, so to speak?

If the server never is clued in on the reason for no tip, then how are they suppose to figure out what to change?

If you don't return at least 100% of a customers change, get a crappy tip and can't figure out why, you don't belong in the service industry.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I Tip according to Service, Gender, Beauty don't enter into the Tip. We dined out Friday on the way to a concert. The Waiter was very Good! He took care of our Drink/ Food order, refills were prompt and he was very pleasant to deal with. He checked on us several times during our meal. I left him a 25% Tip. My Daughter used to be a Server, I know how many times she got stiffed on large bills.

Ballistix

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2016
    Next Door
    We go to the same establishment almost every week. The hostess knows us and gives us to one of the two best waitresses, depending on the week. She tries to balance it between the two provided both are working. Both waitresses know our specific order, even if it's different days, and they place our order, and then bring our drinks before we are seated. They are very friendly and keep our drinks full. Which ever waitress we get, if the other one is working, they stop by and say hello.
    Both of these waitresses get what amounts to about 30%, and I am happy to reward the service we receive.

Any other place we go to, it depends on the service. Some people just feel entitled to a tip and expect it whether they deserve it or not.
    I have to work for my money, and so should anyone that expects to get paid. Poor work ethics do not net me a pay check, and it shouldn't be rewarded in any industry.

TheBoss930

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I had a waiter take my order, then disappear until it was time for the check (didn't even bring the food out, other waiter did). I didn't end up leaving any tip

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    For me it is definitely the quality of service and also the amount of time I spend in the establishment. Breakfast tips are generally more, percentage wise, than dinner tips. I always pay with CC now so having my change STOLEN doesn't happen anymore. It used to be one of my biggest pet peeves and lowered the tip quite a bit.

My absolute worst experience was at a Bdubs in college. I left a $0.02 tip because it was the worst service I have ever had. I hope to never come close to that amount again.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I tip $3-$5, my bill is hardly ever over $25. Most of the time the waiter or waitress only comes to the table 3 times anyways and I'm not dating them so why leave a huge tip?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I start my tip at 20% of the subtotal (before tax), may go up or down depending on service or lack thereof. If I have coupons I tip based off normal price before coupon is used.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I Tip according to Service, Gender, Beauty don't enter into the Tip. We dined out Friday on the way to a concert. The Waiter was very Good! He took care of our Drink/ Food order, refills were prompt and he was very pleasant to deal with. He checked on us several times during our meal. I left him a 25% Tip. My Daughter used to be a Server, I know how many times she got stiffed on large bills.
    I told a friend he needed to leave extra for the ogling .. :):

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    I don't follow %. I always start at $10 and max of $30 depending on the service and meal quality.

So, when you go to Denny's for breakfast solo and get one of their meals and coffee for a total of $8, you tip $10 on top of that? If no, I'm curious what your rate is at the lower-cost family style restaurants.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    So, when you go to Denny's for breakfast solo and get one of their meals and coffee for a total of $8, you tip $10 on top of that? If no, I'm curious what your rate is at the lower-cost family style restaurants.

Thing is I've never ate below $10 when we go out, even on brunch places like Dennys, if my bill is $26, I still tip $10. So far, we haven't had a really bad service where I got pissed.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The local waitresses where I'm a regular get extra. After 10 years getting served by the same people, you get to know them a bit. And I definitely don't want to be "that ass hat" that they hate seeing every time I walk in the door. Plus, a couple have covered for my dumb ass when I got too drunk and forgot to pay.....Nothing like my wife thinking I paid, and me thinking she paid.....But damn if they didn't get an apology and $100 in their pocket the next day.

Breakfast definitely gets bigger tips as well. Servers have so much more work to do for breakfast. Tiny cups of coffee to refill every 30 seconds + having to deal with grumpy ass customers in the AM.....yup, they get extra.

Top Bottom