• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a 10/22 in a Magpul stock that I meticulously adjusted the scope on to have the proper setup when seated at a bench. I tucked the stock nice and tight into my shoulder, let my cheek fall naturally on the comb and adjusted from there. I want to start doing some prone shooting so I was messing with body position and noticed that my face now seems to be way too close to the scope.

I'm sure I am doing something wrong here - maybe I am not pressing my face forward enough in the bench position? Should I adjust the LOP and eyebox for prone shooting and then just adjust my head when shooting from a bench?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Should I adjust the LOP and eyebox for prone shooting and then just adjust my head when shooting from a bench?
    Yes. Set up your scope for prone shooting.

You have much more latitude in head & body positioning when shooting from the bench. Or put your 10/22 in a stock with an adjustable buttstock.

Reactions: Leo

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That's what I had to do at an Appleseed event. Prone takes precedence and you adjust in every other position.

Got it and no, I am 52 and not nearly as flexible as I used to be. Throw in a recent rotator cuff repair into the mix and just getting into the prone position is quite a bit of fun.

The Magpul stock has spacers to adjust LOP but its not a quick adjustment. Maybe one of these days I will get a decent chassis for it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    nope, that's ergonomics and biology. The only thing you're doing wrong is assuming you'll have the same settings in different positions. Top shooters with really customizable stocks will have a notebook with different settings for their adjustable stocks for the different positions. As mentioned, the correction is to position the scope (or put those shims in) for prone (worst case) and adjust your bench position (most adjustable) to accommodate.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    As mentioned above, adjust prone to the point where you could almost take a nap.

You might need an extended rail for your 10/22 to get the scope set forward enough. A&A sells those. I think they are ERG brand rails.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    As mentioned above, adjust prone to the point where you could almost take a nap.

You might need an extended rail for your 10/22 to get the scope set forward enough. A&A sells those. I think they are ERG brand rails.

Luckily , an EGW 20 MOA extended rail is what I had already put on it. You were right because at first, when i fitted everything up in the house, I pushed the scope mounts forward one space on the rail and it seemed ok. I got out yesterday to do some shooting and really worked on position, comfort, and alignment. I ended up pushing the mount forward yet another position so that it is out on the overhang.

My only issues now are that I feel like I could still use a little bit of cheek rise (maybe 1/4") when lying prone, I also can't really get a good "stick" between my cheek and the rifle due to the slick plastic. I am using a Magpul Hunter stock and already have their tallest riser on there so I think I need to either find one of those cheek pads that wrap around the buttstock or maybe a stick-on riser of some sort.

My rifle is the one in the back (pre-prone changes. The scope is much further forward now). I now wish I would have gone with the KRG like I put on my son's.

22s.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Can you swap out & lower those rings any?

I've used some rubber adhesive backed no-slip strips on one of my stocks. Helps but doesn't raise the comb much.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Can you swap out & lower those rings any?

I've used some rubber adhesive backed no-slip strips on one of my stocks. Helps but doesn't raise the comb much.
    Maybe. I'll have to measure again but I don't think the next size down rings gave me enough room for my objective cover. Here is my latest attempt but I haven't gone out to shoot it yet. I don't have high expectations. The adhesive isn't great and it is softer than I expected. I think it will pill up on me.

1708090668557.jpeg

Top Bottom