• ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    1 up your fa/22

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjbNs8iQSjY]YouTube - USAF Lockheed X-35 Vertical Takeoff Flight Test[/ame]

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was at the Indy airshow the year the demo team came. They put on an awesome show of performance capabilities. At the end they had a tribute fly-by with an F-22 and a P-51 Mustang. The best of the new and the best of the old.

Ask and yee shall receive.:D

IMG_3968.jpg

Been going there the last 10 years, but been taking pics only the last 6.
    Last year I took almost 1000!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Awesome aircraft. What is interesting is that we probably have something even better either on the drawing board or in flight testing. Think about how long the F-117 (original Stealth "Fighter") was flying around before the general public got to see one.

I haven't got to see an F-22 in flight yet, but am hoping to get to an airshow or two this year and catch one.

BTW, my interest is picqued about the Indiana F-16 pilot that splashed one?

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Awesome aircraft. What is interesting is that we probably have something even better either on the drawing board or in flight testing. Think about how long the F-117 (original Stealth "Fighter") was flying around before the general public got to see one.

May I present the F-35 STOVL JSF "Short Take Off Vertical Landing Joint Strike Fighter"

The Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Program, formerly the Joint Advanced Strike Technology (JAST) Program, is the Department of Defense's focal point for defining affordable next generation strike aircraft weapon systems for the Navy, Air Force, Marines, and our allies. The focus of the program is affordability -- reducing the development cost, production cost, and cost of ownership of the JSF family of aircraft. The JSF will fulfill stated Service needs as follows:

• U. S. Navy First day of war, survivable strike fighter aircraft to complement F/A-18E/F
    • U.S. Air Force Multirole aircraft (primary-air-to-ground) to replace the F-16 and A-10 and complement the F/A-22
    • U.S. Marine Corps STOVL aircraft to replace the AV-8B and F/A-18 as their only strike fighter
    • United Kingdom Royal Navy & Royal Air Force STOVL aircraft to replace Sea Harriers & GR.7s as a supersonic strike fighter
    • Other Countries Potential JSF customers include current operators of F-16, F/A-18, and AV-8B

F35-Lighting2_plane-1280x1024.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, that is pretty sweet too. When I was visiting the AirForce Armament museum just outside of Eglin AFB in Florida, they were all talking about the F-35's that were coming in for testing.

You can see the model of one in the center of this picture. They were having a ceremony of some sort later that evening, and it was on display.

DSC06221.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    BTW, my interest is picqued about the Indiana F-16 pilot that splashed one?

The Raptor is an awesome fighter, but it's not invincible. There are at least 4 claimed "shootdowns" I'm aware of:

The F-16 belonged to the 64th Aggressor Sqn. out of Nellis AFB; the pilot's hometown has not been mentioned AFAIK. Here's an article on it:
    War Is Boring: First Ever F-22 Raptor “Shot Down” (Bumped and Updated)

Supposedly, an F/A-18 Super Hornet claimed the first-ever F-22 kill, but the circumstances were somewhat controversial. It is also described in the above article, complete with a gun-camera pic:
    f18fgunf22.jpg

An EA-18G "Growler" has also bagged one, too; the aircraft in question even has the kill mark to prove it:
    ea18g_f22kill-thumb-445x333.jpg

Growler Power: EA-18G boasts F-22 kill (PHOTOS) - The DEW Line

Finally, even the lowly T-38 Talon has tagged some Raptor a**:
    YouTube clip purports F-22 shootdown by T-38 [UPDATE: ENGAGEMENT CONFIRMED] - The DEW Line

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well I'll let all you guys have the current crop of fighters and I'll give ya a look at my 2 favorite birds of prey.

The only thing that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck......

The Navy's F4U Corsair from WWII

and my cousin's personal play toy for 20 years until they retired it and he started flying F-18's. Nothing like the Tomcat, dance in the air on a dime and give 9.5 cents back and could still run flat out at mach 2.34 (1,554mph) and target 7 bogies at once. At one time the F-14's HUD was built right here in Indianapolis at the old Naval Avionics.

f14-photo-vf101-51l.jpg

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We visited there not too long ago. Lots of good stuff. MOAB out front and such.

My dad was pals with the guy that runs/ran the Navy Air Warfare museum in Pensacola. He had the chance to join the crew of the first Blue Angels. The man running the museum was one of the first, from what he told me. Great, GREAT AMERICANS!

Yeah, that is pretty sweet too. When I was visiting the AirForce Armament museum just outside of Eglin AFB in Florida, they were all talking about the F-35's that were coming in for testing.

You can see the model of one in the center of this picture. They were having a ceremony of some sort later that evening, and it was on display.

DSC06221.jpg

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Doesn't this border on politically incorrect? Not sure I like the competitiveness in this manner. A bit too boastful, perhaps prideful. The F-22 could have endless F-18s plastered on its side, I suspect. but literally and figuratively flies above that sort of stuff.

I've never been in the AF, so perhaps this is part of the game.

The Raptor is an awesome fighter, but it's not invincible. There are at least 4 claimed "shootdowns" I'm aware of:

The F-16 belonged to the 64th Aggressor Sqn. out of Nellis AFB; the pilot's hometown has not been mentioned AFAIK. Here's an article on it:
    War Is Boring: First Ever F-22 Raptor “Shot Down” (Bumped and Updated)

Supposedly, an F/A-18 Super Hornet claimed the first-ever F-22 kill, but the circumstances were somewhat controversial. It is also described in the above article, complete with a gun-camera pic:

An EA-18G "Growler" has also bagged one, too; the aircraft in question even has the kill mark to prove it:
    ea18g_f22kill-thumb-445x333.jpg

Growler Power: EA-18G boasts F-22 kill (PHOTOS) - The DEW Line

Finally, even the lowly T-38 Talon has tagged some Raptor a**:
    YouTube clip purports F-22 shootdown by T-38 [UPDATE: ENGAGEMENT CONFIRMED] - The DEW Line

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've never been in the AF, so perhaps this is part of the game.

Well, the EA-18G is a Navy bird, so blame them. :D

Sounds to me like a case of inter-service rivalry (i.e. a manhood-measuring contest) to me. Maybe the individual F22s that have been in Red Flag and whatnot DO have friendly "kills" painted on them? I don't know.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    yes that would be the one. Looks like they painted it or something. Also liked the SR-71, behind the person who took the photo of the MOAB.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    yes that would be the one. Looks like they painted it or something. Also liked the SR-71, behind the person who took the photo of the MOAB.

You mean this one? ;) When were you down there? We were there during Thanksgiving.

DSC06163.jpg

Very cool museum. I wish I had time to check out the Navy museum. We were only in Destin a few days. Maybe if we go back next year I'll see that Museum, plus some F-35s that are soon stationed at Eglin.

Top Bottom