• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SO, given the powder shortage and not being able to find my favorite, reliable Bullseye, I picked up some Titewad. (The old timers that shoot at my local range sing songs about this stuff, clean burning blah blah blah....) So, they have been reloading since longer than I am alive so I trustd their recommendation. Also they told me it will recoil like Bullseye (I like bullseye cos it mimics my combat load. I'm a defensive pistol shooter.) So, I like the titewad for the felt recoil...
    BUT....F-ING TITEWAD....
    I'm having issues figuring out my ideal load. I started at 3.0 gr (mid-range of the Hodgdon data) and it didn't cycle the slide on my XDM .45 (4.5" barrel). So, then I bumped up to 3.5 gr (after trying 15 at that weight and having no issues). I loaded about 70 with the 3.5 grains after my testers worked fine. But, I had a bunch of stove pipes and double feeds. Now, don't sheesh me! ;) and don't accuse me of limp wristing as that is definitely not my problem. I'm going to hand load a few at 3.3, 3.4, 3.6 and 3.7 grains and see how these perform. I'm not sure if my slide is cycling too fast or not completly cycing at all.....I'm worried about over pressure at 3.6 and 3.7, but I don't want mouse fart loads, either. I've searched high and low for load data and others' experience with Titewad but am not finding much.
    Does anyone know anything about this powder? I'm not trading or selling it yet because I think I can make it perform for me. But for now, I'm feeling frustrated and cranky about this powder.

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Northwest IN, (Hammond area). I've been **SCOURING** the shelves for the stuff and only find rifle powders.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also like Bullseye for .45acp with my second choice being Power Pistol with both being hard to find here in central Illinois. I think you have gotten "Tightwad" confused with "Tightgroup." I just checked my Lee and Lyman reloading handbooks and could not find "Tightwad" listed in either one under .45acp. Then I checked a Hodgdon annual manual and it listed "Tightwad" only as a shotgun powder. Tightgroup is my number three choice for .45acp. My load with Tightgroup is 230grLRN with 4.5gr of powder and gives me around 800fps depending what gun I shoot it out of. Jim.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Titewad works ok for a cheap shotgun powder, but I would in no way recommend it for pistols. My experiences with titeWAD is that it was a little dirty and got inconsistant with max power shotshell loads. "TITEGROUP" on the other hand is a good general use pistol powder that give pretty good results in everything from .32 to .45. Titegroup also works for full velocity 12 gauge.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OP, what weight bullet and what bullet profile are you using ? Cast, plated, or jacketed ?

Never used Tightwad myself and have no data in ANY of my manuals.... I do see Hodgdon's site does list some data for it, but it appears to be very mild loads.. I also see it is a VERY fast burning powder, even faster than their Clays, so I would proceed with caution!!! I would highly suspect it will become very spikey, very quick... A call in to Hodgdon would be the next thing I'd do before going any further...

I know this isn't what you are wanting to hear, but if you wanted in the Hodgon line, Clays or TiteGroup would of served you better...

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    OP, what weight bullet and what bullet profile are you using ? Cast, plated, or jacketed ?

Never used Tightwad myself and have no data in ANY of my manuals.... I do see Hodgdon's site does list some data for it, but it appears to be very mild loads.. I also see it is a VERY fast burning powder, even faster than their Clays, so I would proceed with caution!!! I would highly suspect it will become very spikey, very quick... A call in to Hodgdon would be the next thing I'd do before going any further...

I know this isn't what you are wanting to hear, but if you wanted in the Hodgon line, Clays or TiteGroup would of served you better...
    using 230 gr RN plated (xtreme brand)
    I was using the load data from hodgdon website. Not confused with titegroup--I would have bought that if I could find it. I bought the titewad based on the recommendation of the seasoned reloadeders at the range where I shoot. They said good things about it. Worst case scenario, if I can't make the powder work for me then ill pass it along to one of them. For the record folks, I can't find powder!! Lol.... So the recco's for other stuff is great but won't help me make my gun to bang cos I can't find it!! Lol!! SHEESH! :)

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    XtremeVel, great suggestion on calling into Hodgdon's. I spoke to a guy there named Mike....he was basically saying that the powder probably won't work in my gun. I'm going to try the powder at 3.3 and 3.4 gr (the max and +0.1 gr beyond max). If it doesn't run in my gun, Mike suggested that I use SR-4756 (which I have on hand). I have been avoiding that powder for the aforementioned mouse fart load avoidance....however, Mike said to take that right up to max at 6.8 gr and I should have a decent combat-like load.
    I'll keep ya'll posted cos this titewad stuff comes up a lot and NO ONE has any info/data on it. :)

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mike suggested that I use SR-4756 (which I have on hand). I have been avoiding that powder for the aforementioned mouse fart load avoidance....however, Mike said to take that right up to max at 6.8 gr and I should have a decent combat-like load.

That sounds much safer ! Also, according to the Lyman # 49, the load Mike told you would be safe for the 230 gr....

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    no chance to make the call yet....been stuck working second shift and spent all morning making hand loads! :) Hoping to make it to the range tomorrow to try those out. I'm still targeting saturday Flashpuppy.... :D

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Also, @ XtremeVel, I'm thinking since the Lyman manual gives 0.2 gr more at the upper range for the SR-4756 (Hodgdon max = 6.8 gr, Lyman max = 7.0 gr) if I want more 'umph' to my rounds to make them more like a defensive round I can bump up to 7.0 gr.....
    I'm really hoping the 3.3 - 3.4 gr of titewad will work for me. I had many work at the 3.5 gr range, but had enough stove pipes and double feeds that I would not load more of that weight again. I'm loading some at the 3.4 mark because most powder measures have +/- 0.1 gr accuracy. So, then if 3.3 and 3.4 work reliably, I can make a few hand loads at 3.2 ....this way I know if I dial my press in at the Titewad max of 3.3 gr, then my loads should run....HOPEFULLY!!! :D
    Keep you fingers crossed for me!

Top Bottom