• ...and so much more!
  • Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Hello,
    I'm in the market for a new truck and have been reading that some states charge way more for 1 ton vs 3/4 ton trucks. Looking at Indiana's BMV page confuses me. I checked the fee chart and it says under "vehicle registration-no proration "Truck ≤ 11,000 pounds, for hire bus, mini truck $30.35.

But farther down it says vehicle registration- 12 month proration-
    TTB ≤ 16,000 pounds $144.00
    TTB ≤ 26,000 pounds $180.00

The ttb stands for truck, tractor, bus......

The way I see it if I had a F250 with a gvw of 10k lbs it would be 30.35 plus excise fees?
    And if I had a F350 with a GVW of 11500 it would be $144.00 plus excise fees?

Those who have 1 tons trucks, are you having to pay way more to register it compared to a 3/4 ton?

I am not a commercial driver and just tow a camper on weekends.

Thanks

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A quick search indicates that the GVWR for a F350 is around 10k so a 11k plate will cover that. Then your trailer plate will cover its weight and RV plates in Indiana do not display a weight number, other trailer types do, so if you bought a flat bed trailer you would have to figure the weight plate you wanted on that.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Something else to consider is the insurance. If i'm not mistaken a 350 is considered a commercial vehicle and the insurance premium is considerably more expensive than a 250. It was a while back when I last researched it so could be different now but wouldn't hurt to get quotes on both.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Next question. Do you NEED the larger truck? Or is it going to be glorified grocery getter?

Just asking because I know too many guys that waste money on trucks, when they dont even need them. Like one of my execs has a 3/4 ton. Its immaculate, and in talking to him, he doesnt even own a boat or anything else that needs towed. But hey, its their money. :dunno:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Another question to ponder is, just what will you be doing that anyone would ever check your plate weight?

If you are doing landscape jobs on the side hauling equipment you may get busted, and for more than just plate weight. If you are RV'ing or hauling a boat or horses never seen anyone checked out...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If you're going to tow a camper you should be fine with an F250 if you get an F-350 and the only reason you bought it was to tow a camper and you ride around without one then it is going to beat you up because that's suspension isn't meant to be a passenger truck

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another question to ponder is, just what will you be doing that anyone would ever check your plate weight?

If you are doing landscape jobs on the side hauling equipment you may get busted, and for more than just plate weight. If you are RV'ing or hauling a boat or horses never seen anyone checked out...
    A traffic accident or ticket could trigger such scrutiny.

Reminds me of people who have been in illegal possession of NFA items and said "what the ATF doesnt know wont hurt me. I only take this to my buddy's private range. Nobody outside my circle will ever see it. " and then something unrelated happens and when LEO find the stamp-less NFAs it hits the fan.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Next question. Do you NEED the larger truck? Or is it going to be glorified grocery getter?

Just asking because I know too many guys that waste money on trucks, when they dont even need them. Like one of my execs has a 3/4 ton. Its immaculate, and in talking to him, he doesnt even own a boat or anything else that needs towed. But hey, its their money. :dunno:
    Does anyone that owns a Cadillac Escalade pickup or a Lincoln (whatever) pickup ever use it as a pickup? I think not. My guess is that they have a lot of money, and small penises.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A traffic accident or ticket could trigger such scrutiny.

Reminds me of people who have been in illegal possession of NFA items and said "what the ATF doesnt know wont hurt me. I only take this to my buddy's private range. Nobody outside my circle will ever see it. " and then something unrelated happens and when LEO find the stamp-less NFAs it hits the fan.

Fully agree if he is regularly going to carry a load that would warrant a higher plate limit. But that scrutiny would only apply if carrying a load that exceeded the plate and or GVWR. That is why I asked if he would be carrying that much.

In the OP's case with an RV the number shifts to GCWR that the plate itself is less of an issue.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts

A lot of that going on in Indiana lol

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Lot of people say the 250 and 350 are virtually identical. I owned a 250 and now a 350, both gas short bed crew cab. The big difference is the 350 has a higher rating on the rear axle. I believe the 350 comes standard with the overload springs. Another thing to look at is insurance cost. I was told 250 insurance is higher as younger men buy them more than 350, thus as a group, higher rate of claims.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Not criticizing your post CM but this perspective has always made me curious. I've got a good friend with close to 20 Porsches, a lot of people would say that's a waste but in this country I think an argument could be made that most things are a waste depending upon who you ask. There are a lot of people who would say that owning an AR15 is an unnecessary waste in this country, obviously I would disagree strongly but the argument could be made for an awful lot of things.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not criticizing your post CM but this perspective has always made me curious. I've got a good friend with close to 20 Porsches, a lot of people would say that's a waste but in this country I think an argument could be made that most things are a waste depending upon who you ask. There are a lot of people who would say that owning an AR15 is an unnecessary waste in this country, obviously I would disagree strongly but the argument could be made for an awful lot of things.
    Like I said. I think its foolish, but as I said in my last sentence, ultimately its their money so its their choice.

Hell, they can light it on fire. Still think its foolish, but ultimately its theirs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not criticizing your post CM but this perspective has always made me curious. I've got a good friend with close to 20 Porsches, a lot of people would say that's a waste but in this country I think an argument could be made that most things are a waste depending upon who you ask. T

Personally, I think as long as the person *knows* it's a waste, then who cares. It's when they don't know what they don't know and get talked into overspending that's problematic. We all have areas of ignorance, and asking questions like that might just help someone who's been told by 'the bros' that they need a tuned diesel F-350 dually to tow their 4500 camper... It's the truck equivalent of the guy who asks what AR he should buy for 1k rounds in his lifetime of can plinking and the usual suspects recommend Gucci Brand Of The Day vs PSA.

Dudes buying Porches typically know exactly what they are getting. Dudes buying Wranglers knowing they'll never actually off road it know exactly what they are getting. Guys buying their first tow rig, tractor, bulldozer, etc. are often not real sure and get upsold.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I just don’t consider it my place to decide what is and isn’t wasteful for someone else. Obviously I wouldn’t try to steer someone toward something I don’t think they need but at the same time if someone wants to buy a Ram 3500 dually for whatever reason and they can afford it what business is it of mine to decide it’s wasteful.

Top Bottom