• ...and so much more!
  • sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    dhd6qu.jpg

Had a few friends to my range today and one of them found this in there Winchester white box. I'm glad he was paying attention as he loaded mags. I've had some backwards primers and such in my day because I hand load all my ammo so I'm not 100% sure what would have happened with this.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    That might be easy to miss loading a mag, especially with gloves on. I wonder what would have happened if it was fired? Probably not even noticeable.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This is what I found in a WWB a couple years ago:

oops_zps6eb13143.jpg

I used to find out of spec ammo in every box, which is why I haven't used it in a couple years. When you can buy Perfecta ammo cheaper at Walmart, which I've never had issues with, I don't know why anyone would buy WWB.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    That might be easy to miss loading a mag, especially with gloves on. I wonder what would have happened if it was fired? Probably not even noticeable.

I have purposefully, and cautiously, fired a few rounds that looked like that just for the learning experience. They were rounds that I had screwed up while seating the bullet so I knew the powder charge was correct. They fired "ok" but were dirtier and smokier at the breech end because the casing didn't seal in the chamber as well (more gas blow back into the action and toward the shooter, not a good thing, but not catastrophically harmful in my particular experiences). I would be suspicious of factory ammo that looks like that because it could have easily had a bit of the powder spilled out when the screw-up happened - potentially to the point that it could cause a squib. I don't recommend anyone else do it, but personally if that round chamber I would single load and fire it just as a learning experience (gloves and face shield on and sure be to check the bore afterwards).

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've got a 30-06 round that was loaded like that. It was a new Remington load. I chalk it up to mass production error. No others were like that in the box and they all fired fine. I set the bad round aside. I'll have to look for it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom