• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Took the Century FAL out today for some informal shooting off the bench with mixed ammo, using iron sights:

100 yards, every shot 3 or 4 seconds apart
    0724001721.jpg

Old stock photo of the rifle:
    0725091224.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You asked for a critique, but only you can critique your group.

If it was my group, and the shots were breaking with the front sight in the center of the target, I would move the rear sight, right 2 minutes or maybe 3 minutes, then shoot another group. Is the rear sight adjustable?

If the sights are centered when the shots break, the group will be off the target at 300 yards if the rifle is shooting that far to the left at 100 yards.

Mixed ammo can cause the high and low flyers maybe, but not horizontal flyers. Probably...

JMO

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    If that is full size target, it could me much tighter. The FAL should be able to do groups like that at 500 yards. But I don't know your long arm experience. If you haven't had much rifle training, I would suggest spending a weekend at an Appleseed shoot. This is the best value for your money on learning to shoot your rifle.

Edit (This doesn't really apply, since you were on the bench. I was thinking shooting prone.) The horizontal stringing looks like you need to work on your natural point of aim. The vertical variation it often breathing. Not shooting at the same point in your breath. Generally it is easiest to do on the exhale pause.

The FAL should be able to do 1-2 MOA. So at 100 yards, you should be able to get the groups down to 2-3". This assumes the same ammo that is fairly consistent. Learning how to shoot prone with a sling will make you never use a bench again.

Last edited:

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    I love the FAL. All big battle rifles, really. I would bet with a more range time, and a trigger job, you could hit 1 MOA or around there with that thing.

Here is a link you may be interested in. They also do HK's, and AR's for those of you with those. I have a Williams trigger in my MSG90. It is a little better than the actual MSG90 trigger. I highly recommend this. Sets

Last edited:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Nice rifle, these have been on my wish list for years. How do you like shooting it?

The FAL is a ton of fun. The more I shoot it (which is not too often, due to ammo cost) the more I like it.

It fits me better than an M1A/M14 (I shoot those too) and the recoil seems to be less.
    The accuracy is very good in my opinion.

Some day I will probably pick up a better quality FAL and would love to have a paratrooper FAL.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    For off the bench I would say spend more time behind the trigger. Shooting slow fire like that should have groups much smaller tho seeing as it is a new gun for you I am sure as you get use to it the group size will shrink. I know the triggers on these can be a bit tough and I would recommend sending the lower to Williams Trigger Specialties, they will do a great job on the trigger and warranty their work for life.

ZapSnap_002.png

WTS Home

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    You asked for a critique, but only you can critique your group.

If it was my group, and the shots were breaking with the front sight in the center of the target, I would move the rear sight, right 2 minutes or maybe 3 minutes, then shoot another group. Is the rear sight adjustable?

If the sights are centered when the shots break, the group will be off the target at 300 yards if the rifle is shooting that far to the left at 100 yards.

Mixed ammo can cause the high and low flyers maybe, but not horizontal flyers. Probably...

JMO
    :+1:And watch that front sight,it's all about that front sight!

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    My Century will shoot 3in groups all day long at 100 yards with my reloads or other good ammo.Mine also likes the South African surplus.Don't buy the cheapest ammo you can find.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    We had a military rifle shoot at our club today. 6 steel targets (5X8 plates) at ranges from 50 to 75yards or so, plus 3 paper targets (B-27) at 100 yards which required two hits each for a total of 12 rounds minimum. I shot it with my FAL, iron sights, offhand, standing starting with the butt of the rifle below my belt. Used 12 rounds in 16 seconds, dropped 8 points on paper, did not miss a single steel plate. First time I have shot that rifle in a year or so.

People go on and on about the M1A1 but the FN/FAl was used by 92 countries and is still in use today. The gun works, it is accurate, reliable, and yes the 7.62X51 round is a good round. I think it is the finest 30 caliber MBR used anywhere, tying with the M1 Garand in that spot.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've heard to avoid the Century FAL's like plague Was this FAL hand picked? Or have they gotten better? Bit of difference in price between the Century and say the DSA FAL's.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'm curious, is that a 22 LR cal. FAL or 7.62 x 51? The reason I ask is I see what appears to be 22 LR cases laying all over the table and no 7.62.
    If it is 7.62 and you are using iron peep sights then I have to ask if you have had your eyes checked lately? No! I'm not making fun of you, I'm just trying to help.
    I would mount a good scope on it and shoot off of good solid sandbags to see just how accurate the rifle is. If it won't shoot 1 MOA or 1" groups at 100 yds I'd be finding out why and fix it or sell it.
    I have a M1A that wouldn't shoot but 4" groups at 100 yds with a scope even, so I glass bedded it and now it will shoot 5/8" groups all day long and nothing over 3/4" unless I screw up. 500 and 600 meter steel Rams get boring after a while. My M1 Garand will do under 3" with iron sights and it has not been accurized.
    I know nothing about the FAL or how to accurize one but if I were you I'd find someone who does.
    Good luck to you.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

Top Bottom