• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I have a friend who is pregnant and ready to pop. The baby's father is upset because he lives two hours away and she won't let him take the baby because he and his roommate smoke pot every day, and his roomie is on street methadone.

She is looking for a good lawyer who practices family law and would be willing to help someone with not much money in the Fort Wayne area?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If she is just pregnant, obviously paternity has not been established so he has no right to even see the kid when born. Signing a birth certificate is meaningless under Indiana law. Unless they were married, they will have to go to paternity court where either a DNA test or swearing in front of the judge that he is the father will be required before he has legal rights to the child. Then comes the child support etc. She has lots of time to get her ducks in a row.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a friend who is pregnant and ready to pop. The baby's father is upset because he lives two hours away and she won't let him take the baby because he and his roommate smoke pot every day, and his roomie is on street methadone.

She is looking for a good lawyer who practices family law and would be willing to help someone with not much money in the Fort Wayne area?

I am with HoughMade on this one....:wow:
    She not only needs a lawyer but.......nuff said....:dunno:

Follow the path laid out above.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If she is just pregnant, obviously paternity has not been established so he has no right to even see the kid when born. Signing a birth certificate is meaningless under Indiana law. Unless they were married, they will have to go to paternity court where either a DNA test or swearing in front of the judge that he is the father will be required before he has legal rights to the child. Then comes the child support etc. She has lots of time to get her ducks in a row.
    this

my future son-in-law, in the laws eyes, still has no legal rights to his daughter who shares his last name and he carries insurance on

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Does he have her on a company plan or paying out of pocket for a private policy?

company plan.
    they all live together, have since K was born almost 2 years ago. Not sure how it all works, I just remember them saying "no legal rights unless he does a paternity test" the kids didn't have that kind of money then, or now. the kid has a couple of webbed toes on both feet, like her daddy. there is no doubt she's his

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm just surprised if he has no legal rights he can put her on a company plan in indiana. Maybe there's a difference I'm ignorant to. Good to see him being a dad even if the courts haven't said so.

to the OP, sounds like if "dad" takes baby it is kidnapping. Maybe that needs to be expressed to the guy. Kidnapping is a forcible felony too, right?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'm just surprised if he has no legal rights he can put her on a company plan in indiana. Maybe there's a difference I'm ignorant to. Good to see him being a dad even if the courts haven't said so. I am assuming he took the birth certificate in with his name on it and no questions asked.

to the OP, sounds like if "dad" takes baby it is kidnapping. Maybe that needs to be expressed to the guy. Kidnapping is a forcible felony too, right?

not something I would be willing to risk, Mom has the law in her favor right now. Dad has no rights.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm just surprised if he has no legal rights he can put her on a company plan in indiana. Maybe there's a difference I'm ignorant to. Good to see him being a dad even if the courts haven't said so.

Quit frankly, this situation happens a lot and most dads think that signing the birth certificate is enough to make claim to the child. They have no idea that it is meaningless and refusing to give the child back after mom lets them see it could get them arrested.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    company plan.
    they all live together, have since K was born almost 2 years ago. Not sure how it all works, I just remember them saying "no legal rights unless he does a paternity test" the kids didn't have that kind of money then, or now. the kid has a couple of webbed toes on both feet, like her daddy. there is no doubt she's his

They should be able to go in front of a judge and both declare that he is the father. That is all I had to do with my oldest.

OP, Denny is right, she has plenty of time. My cousin is going thru this very thing, She is just going to let the father file for paternity assuming of course he has the money and the gumption to do so.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Allen County Bar Association

and at this time, I will limit my editorial comments to.....wow, just wow.
    Thanks I will pass that on.

I don't know how she met this guy, just that she always had to drive to see him, and then pay for a room since he was living at home at the time, had no job, etc… She's a good chick, when I met her she was working two or three jobs and taking care of herself. Now I think she's down to one job, but also going to school. After talking to her last night I know she has her baby's best interests at heart. I think she'd do a supervised visit with him.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I try to take it back every time I vote, but there are too many working against me.

touche'

It's shame what some kids are born into...and I can't change that.

What I can do is work on the 4 kids I have to try to ensure that they never have to face such situations.

I was listening to Adam Carolla last night and he was saying that is he was called upon to guess how many people have people in their family who were messed up on drugs, in and out of jail, general n'er to wells, he'd guess 1 or 2 out of a hundred....but the more he talks to people, it seems like it 40 or 50 out of a hundred if not more. What is this?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My daughter blessed us with a Granddaughter fathered by an A$$hat 7 years ago. Daughter gave the girl our family last name. When a$$hat tried to bully his way into the girls life a few years ago he found out that the burden of proof lies on him. He would have to pursue custody through the courts and pay the freight. He chose not to and has evaporated. Not seen or heard from him since.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    touche'

It's shame what some kids are born into...and I can't change that.

What I can do is work on the 4 kids I have to try to ensure that they never have to face such situations.

I was listening to Adam Carolla last night and he was saying that is he was called upon to guess how many people have people in their family who were messed up on drugs, in and out of jail, general n'er to wells, he'd guess 1 or 2 out of a hundred....but the more he talks to people, it seems like it 40 or 50 out of a hundred if not more.
    What is this?

I am extremely old-fashioned.
    It seems to me that some people believe there is right and wrong and others believe there is no authority outside of themselves.
    We are devolving into a two-tiered society; those who restrain their passions according to moral principles of right and wrong and those who do not.
    Unfortunately, those who restrain themselves are in the minority.
    Those who do not restrain themselves can change, but we are not to discuss that which, in my opinion, is most effective in making this change.
    Out of self preservation, I prefer to associate with those who have a moral compass, but I will reach out to those who do not if I have a chance to help them have a better life.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am extremely old-fashioned.
    It seems to me that some people believe there is right and wrong and others believe there is no authority outside of themselves.
    We are devolving into a two-tiered society; those who restrain their passions according to moral principles of right and wrong and those who do not.
    Unfortunately, those who restrain themselves are in the minority.
    Those who do not restrain themselves can change, but we are not to discuss that which, in my opinion, is most effective in making this change.
    Out of self preservation, I prefer to associate with those who have a moral compass, but I will reach out to those who do not if I have a chance to help them have a better life.

I sense you and I are on the same page.

Top Bottom