• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    And this exemplifies the point that I was trying to make. You don't need an FFL to ship to another FFL. No need to pay FFL fees on both ends...again, know the laws. The firearm(s) only need to be shipped TO an FFL in order for the transfer to be done legally. ANYONE can ship a firearm to an FFL.

You are partially correct, at least when it comes to USPS. You can (as an individual) mail a rifle or shotgun to a licensed individual. You cannot, however, mail a handgun. That requires you to be licensed. Why? Who knows, it makes no sense.

So, if you want to be able to use that sweet, sweet, low rate of USPS, rather than pay expided, rocket assisted, overnight express from UPS and FedEx, then you need a dealer to ship the handgun (which OP mentioned) to the local FFL. Now, if your Cali FFL wants to charge something stupid like $50 per gun, plus shipping, then it won't be cheaper. It all depends on which is the lower price.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You are partially correct, at least when it comes to USPS. You can (as an individual) mail a rifle or shotgun to a licensed individual. You cannot, however, mail a handgun. That requires you to be licensed. Why? Who knows, it makes no sense.

So, if you want to be able to use that sweet, sweet, low rate of USPS, rather than pay expided, rocket assisted, overnight express from UPS and FedEx, then you need a dealer to ship the handgun (which OP mentioned) to the local FFL. Now, if your Cali FFL wants to charge something stupid like $50 per gun, plus shipping, then it won't be cheaper. It all depends on which is the lower price.

I've shipped plenty of handguns through fed-ex. Only costs like $15. Rifles are like 20-30 depending on how far you send em. Da heck are you talking about.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've shipped plenty of handguns through fed-ex. Only costs like $15. Rifles are like 20-30 depending on how far you send em. Da heck are you talking about.

Then either you aren't telling FedEx you are shipping a firearm or your local FedEx isn't declaring it as such and is giving you a good deal.

http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/Service_Guide_2016.pdf

Firearms
    A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United StatesGun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors;law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; andlaw enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or politicalsubdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensedimporters, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    B. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or AdultSignature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of yourshipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipmentsare not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannotship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx ExpressDrop Box.
    D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment toFedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm.The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that thepackage contains a firearm.
    E. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    F. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable governmentregulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol,Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliancewith local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this ServiceGuide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods.You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    I appreciate all of the replies. Some good food for thought at the very least. Here is how a Local California FFL carrier answered the question.

"Probably the correct way of taking care of this is, he should talk to a dealer in his area, get a FFL from him. He can then come out here, look at and wrap up the guns, providing he wants them, then ship them to the dealer he has chosen with a copy of the drivers license or ID card from the people who are gifting him the guns. When he arrives home he can then pick up the guns from his dealer according to his states laws. That would be the legal way of receiving the guns. It would also help if they sent a letter with the guns saying they are gifting the guns to him."

Not a big fan of the opening; "Probably the correct way of taking care of this is...." Makes sense to me, but not very definative. If it's worth doing, then do it right. Right?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Seriously? :scratch:

FedEx and UPS have policies that handguns must go overnight.*

USPS will ship them via cheap snail mail, but those have to go to a licensee. Once I had the mailman just leave the box on my porch while I was at work. :xmad:

* The white zone is for loading and unloading only. There's never been any stopping in the red zone.

Top Bottom