• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mglii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    My wife and I are planning our Annual family vacation. We have decided to return to GSM National Park and Gatlinburgh, TN.

It has been a few years since we were there last and this will be the first time since the Ban on CCW in the national parks was lifted. I have checked UScarry's website as well as the individual states websites I know that Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina all honor Indiana's LTCH. And based off of the GSM National Park website If you "permit is honored In Tennessee, and North Carolina you are good to Carry but must follow those states laws. With the exception of Any building where federal Employees work and that have No Firearms signs on the door.

Now Here comes My issue I do not have a law degree and the Statues on the states websites are confusing at best.

I need a resource for idiots for all three states .
    Questions i am looking for answers for each state are:
    CCW or Open carry? if CCW only are they strict on "printing"
    Requirements for Notifying LEOs
    Carrying in car requirements?
    Places that can't carry in

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My wife and I are planning our Annual family vacation. We have decided to return to GSM National Park and Gatlinburgh, TN.

It has been a few years since we were there last and this will be the first time since the Ban on CCW in the national parks was lifted. I have checked UScarry's website as well as the individual states websites I know that Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina all honor Indiana's LTCH. And based off of the GSM National Park website If you "permit is honored In Tennessee, and North Carolina you are good to Carry but must follow those states laws. With the exception of Any building where federal Employees work and that have No Firearms signs on the door.

Now Here comes My issue I do not have a law degree and the Statues on the states websites are confusing at best.

I need a resource for idiots for all three states .
    Questions i am looking for answers for each state are:
    CCW or Open carry? if CCW only are they strict on "printing"
    Requirements for Notifying LEOs
    Carrying in car requirements?
    Places that can't carry in

I traveled the GSM several times in the past couple of years. I have both OCed and CCed. We actually had a group hang with us on one of the hiking trails, because I WAS carrying (good old S&W 66, .357 magnum), and there had been some black bear attacks in the area. And low and behold, when we arrived back at the parking lot, there was a black bear.

I would recommend you get a couple of things. If you have a smart phone, get the apps: CCW, Gun Conceal, and or Legal Heat. They all have pluses and minuses.

I would also invest in the Traveler's Guide to firearm Laws book that is widely available at ranges.

Now, while your down there.....here is a bucket list of some must do's:

1. Hike some trails. But be wary of wildlife. Black bears are common, and they do have mountain lions in the Cades Cove area.

2. If you are around Wears Valley, go the BP gas station on the Maryville side of town....and have a meal. GREAT burgers and sides. One of our favorite places to eat. Also, Grandma's Kitchen in WV is good too. But watch out for the hillbilly that runs the pawn shop in Wears Valley, he tried to get me to go out machine gun shooting with him. he was drunk, and I swear I could hear banjo music playing somewhere.

3. If you go to Gatlinburg, visit the moonshine place, try the samples...and bring some home. :) Also, check out the wines. I brought back 5 bottles of the Blackberry wine, it's awesome. :D

4. Check out the artists communities OUTSIDE of Gatlinburg, and over at Townsend. Some amazing artwork, leather crafting, pottery, wood carving, etc.

5. Enjoy both some sunsets in the mountains, and some sun rises. Both are spectacular.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you have the opportunity - take a day or two and head east to Asheville, NC and visit the Biltmore Estate. Definitely worth the time, trouble, and money.

-J-

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you have the opportunity - take a day or two and head east to Asheville, NC and visit the Biltmore Estate. Definitely worth the time, trouble, and money.

-J-

^^^^^^This^^^^^^...but be warned, it will eat up an entire day with traffic, etc. And the food is pricey, but quite good there.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I just looked up Tennessee yesterday. Here are the highlights.

1. Tennessee honors Indiana permits.
    2. Tennessee is NOT a "shall notify" state (i.e. you are NOT required to inform police you are carrying), but you are required to produce your permit upon request.
    3. "No Gun" signs DO carry the force of law (i.e. it's a Class B misdemeanor, up to $500 fine, if you walk through the door with a no gun sign posted).
    4. Just like Indiana, carrying is allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol provided you do not consume.
    5. Carrying is allowed in:
    - National parks: YES
    - State parks: YES
    - WMAs and public hunting areas: YES
    - Road side rest areas: YES (unless posted)
    6. Tennessee is a "Castle Doctrine" state and DOES have a "stand your ground" law.
    7. Tennessee allows for open carry as well as concealed, however a permit is required for either.

For full details see here:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    If you go to Gatlinburg, visit the moonshine place...check out the wines. I brought back 5 bottles of the Blackberry wine, it's awesome.

I had no idea this place was there. I was in the GSMNP twice last year, too. Of course, I usually take the Gatlniburg Bypass road. I'll have to check out their wine selection. I'm sure I'll be down there once or twice this year, too.

Thanks for the tip! :)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had no idea this place was there. I was in the GSMNP twice last year, too. Of course, I usually take the Gatlniburg Bypass road. I'll have to check out their wine selection. I'm sure I'll be down there once or twice this year, too.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Make sure to sample the moonshines too :)

Top Bottom