Faraday cages for spare optics/lights/electronics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I really view an EMP as a realistic big threat to the country, regardless of who causes this.

I've started to buy extra optics and replace red dots with etched glass optics like prisms on my guns that are always out.

Now I'm looking to get something to store them in with a few other smallish electronics.

Does anyone else do this? What are you using? Someone I know bought a couple old, big microwaves at Goodwill and keeps their electronic spares in them in the basement. I'm thinking about going that route too.

Edit: and what about batteries? Should I store them in it as well? Most resources say they'd be fine but I'm not sure what to trust.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I have heard that potato chip bags without the "window" is supposed to work well. Something about the continuous silver lining is supposed to do the trick, but I have no research or proof that they will actually do the trick.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dumb questions time on my part!!!
    Why won’t a solid steel gun vault with a ground strap to earth ground work?
    I mean what’s the difference between a vault and an ammo can?
    :dunno:

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Ammo Can test

The issue with these types of tests is that the bandwidth of the pulse may be different than cell, UHF/VHF bandwidth. It may still work and the emp pulse may be so wide banded that it will include those tested with but it may not. That said, it is certainly better than not doing anything but it's not an end all be all test.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I used foam weather stripping wrapped with aluminum foil around the opening of my safe door. Removed the panel on the inside of my safe door and wrapped the back in foil. Then used foil tape over the mounting holes on the bottom of the safe floor. Now when I place my phone in the safe it will not receive calls or connect to Bluetooth. When the EMP hits I'll send a pigeon to update ya'll on if it worked.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Chances are they won't be effected, but if you want backups great. Not just for EMP. For storage to protect against EMP just take out the battery. An older thread with some good discussion.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    For me the most convenient faraday cage is a galvanized trash can. Line it with a good quality contractor bag (no holes, rips or slits ) to insulate the contents from the can. The final part… this is critical. Take one wrap of aluminum furnace tape around where the lid meets the can. Done properly, the above should make a low cost and very effective cage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For me the most convenient faraday cage is a galvanized trash can. Line it with a good quality contractor bag (no holes, rips or slits ) to insulate the contents from the can. The final part… this is critical. Take one wrap of aluminum furnace tape around where the lid meets the can. Done properly, the above should make a low cost and very effective cage.
    Or replace the bag with cardboard. less likely for a sharp object to accidentally go through.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I am in agreement with you of an EMP being a real threat ........
    We literally just talked about this topic this past weekend . We are going to build a large "box type " ( probably 3` cube )
    completely lined with copper coil stock . Copper is suppose to be the best to use ........

Did watch quite a few videos of some using the galvanized trash can idea ........ they make EMP gasketing that some add on the lid for more positive sealing and protection .
    This guy had some decent info ( maybe a bit corny to some ) but seemed like he had quite a bit of electrical knowledge on the topic .

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The issue with these types of tests is that the bandwidth of the pulse may be different than cell, UHF/VHF bandwidth. It may still work and the emp pulse may be so wide banded that it will include those tested with but it may not. That said, it is certainly better than not doing anything but it's not an end all be all test.
    Indeed. These elementary school science fair projects... Don't know I'd I should laugh or roll my eyes.

There's certainly a Dunning-Krueger effect here. I'm not an RF engineer, because that **** is hard ( "D" stands for "done" when it does to some college courses), but I know enough to admit I don't know enough and can tell when a "test" is a BS way to get more YouTube views (i.e. money).

Top Bottom