Fast Food Workers strike to DOUBLE wages.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    You know the minimum wage is too low when minimum wage workers at Wal-Mart are taught how to apply for government assistance on the first day of training. Minimum wage should be high enough that you don't need welfare.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Generalize much? I'm talking particularly about the whining, grabby diaperwetters that may have been released from their government daycare centers but never came by the understanding that when they perform a job almost suited to trained monkeys, they're going to be paid for that. I don't patronize such establishments frequently, but the typical employees remind me mostly of "Idiocracy".

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You're absolutely wrong. YOUR lack of economic awareness is what's truly remarkable.

The premise of minimum wage, when it was introduced, was that a single wage earner should be able to own a home and support a family. That was what it was based on; a full time job, any job, should be able to accomplish this.

The fact people scoff at this idea if presented nowadays, as though the people that ring up your groceries or hand you your burgers don’t deserve the luxury of a home and a family, is disgusting.

So, 16 year old kids should be able to start a family, buy a home and a car on minimum wage? Are you serious?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You know the minimum wage is too low when minimum wage workers at Wal-Mart are taught how to apply for government assistance on the first day of training. Minimum wage should be high enough that you don't need welfare.

Minimum wage is enough if you don't buy and rent all this crap that every one buys and rents these days.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    16 year old kids aren't eligible for full time labor.
    Reading comprehension is your friend. Here is my post again:

The premise of minimum wage, when it was introduced, was that a single wage earner should be able to own a home and support a family. That was what it was based on; a full time job, any job, should be able to accomplish this.

The fact people scoff at this idea if presented nowadays, as though the people that ring up your groceries or hand you your burgers don’t deserve the luxury of a home and a family, is disgusting.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Minimum wage is enough if you don't buy and rent all this crap that every one buys and rents these days.
    Yup!!
    The Me, My, Gimme, people believe that they don't have to wait for, or earn, the nicer things in life.
    They demand it RIGHT NOW.
    After I entered my career I realized that I couldn't make enough money at that job to give my family the nicer things that I wanted them to have.
    So I worked second jobs for nearly all of my career and my Wife worked full time as well.
    The difference between us and the "Gimme" people is that we were willing to work to achieve our goals.
    The Gimme's want it handed to them.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville

no, they don't. they don't have the aspiration to better themselves. to work a few years as a waiter or burger flipper in a bad economy, k,yes, fallen on hard times. to tend the drive thru at hardees for 20 years without a pay bump is YOUR OWN FAULT.

communist much?

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    There is only one reason besides people spending to much money that they are not capable of living off of minimum wage, and that would be the government taking their % out of it before the worker sees a dime of it.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    no, they don't. they don't have the aspiration to better themselves. to work a few years as a waiter or burger flipper in a bad economy, k,yes, fallen on hard times. to tend the drive thru at hardees for 20 years without a pay bump is YOUR OWN FAULT.

communist much?

It's not communism, it's basic human compassion.
    Be honest. When was the last time you tried to find a job, and what do you do for a living?

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
    If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals or superiors."

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

Einsteins definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over, and over, and expect a different result. :dunno:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You're absolutely wrong. YOUR lack of economic awareness is what's truly remarkable.

Sorry Pop, but I live in the real world.

It matters not what the lawmakers intended when a minimum wage was forced on the free market. Intentions are all well and good but in the real world, minimum wage laws cause a loss of jobs. Employers have to make a profit to stay in business. It has nothing to do with compassion. It has to do with survival first, and growth, second. If an employer can't earn a reasonable rate of return, costs have to be cut and labor, being the highest cost in most cases, is where the savings are. Failing that, the business is closed up.

I never said anyone is not deserving a good life., YOU put those words in my mouth. I would appreciate it if you don't do that.

Everyone deserves it if they are willing to work hard to better themselves and provide more value to their employer, or another employer, in order to improve their lot ion life. Fast food jobs, and jobs of that ilk, are not ever going to provide the good life. These jobs are entry level; starting points.

I would be willing to bet that most of the people in these jobs are transitioning to a better future. I know a ton of people that started there, including myself, that went on from there to improve their lot in life.

Don't assume these folks are doomed to do this forever. They aren't, but it will never get handed to them. Sorry but there is no free lunch.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

When I was AD, USMC from 1977-1981, a Married Corporal, with 2 kids, QUALIFIED, for FOOD STAMPS, and "other" " welfare" programs ..... Saw it with MY OWN EYES .....

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    It's not communism, it's basic human compassion.
    Be honest. When was the last time you tried to find a job, and what do you do for a living?

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
    If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals or superiors."

what do I do? I'm in the industrial supply business with a s&p500/fortune 500 corp. due to my own choices i left the same company in late 2008 and rejoined a year later amidst the economical crisis, in Dec 2008. for the third time I had to pay my dues and work my way up from the bottom, a 28 year old educated male making 9.50 an hour. a year later and i again have a career level role in the same company. a few more years and I have far excelled my peers.

you're a communist.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If they're paying $15/hour they are not going to hire teenagers, so there goes one more entry level position making it just that much harder for our youth to gain work experience.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co

Welfare should be "low enough" that you can barely afford to live off of it. Its to help you out of a bad place in your life....... not keep you there.

Top Bottom