• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This is the first year I have really attempted to bass fish vs whatever bites at my worm under a bobber. I decided to try spinner baits based solely on watching Hank Parkers fishing show. Use chartreuse when its overcast and white when its sunny. Added pumkin colored crawfish to the spinner hook and have actually caught a few really nice largemouths this year. Gonna try a rooster tail 1/4 based on this thread...maybe a texas rigged worm.

I like white for clear water and chartreuse in stained :yesway:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This thread is why, because of all the stuff we're learning about that also works.

And as for buying by the case/ton, because every time a company gets something right, they tend to change or discontinue it... (especially comfortable SHOES)
    No kidding. This thread reminded me of a lure I use to own a lot of and have used for 30 years. I am low on them, went to find it. Discontinued, gone. Company still exists but bought out by Corp monster who obviously refined the Brands offerings to fit in with their other Brands.

I have a lot of Roadrunners, I do prefer 1/16 to the 1/8 size but I never bought them in bulk smaller than 1/8. That was a mistake as I found I prefered the 1/16 for my uses. I buy all mine "naked" like these, http://www.basspro.com/Road-Runner-Heads/product/7387/-571997

you can put any body or bait on them.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    No kidding. This thread reminded me of a lure I use to own a lot of and have used for 30 years. I am low on them, went to find it. Discontinued, gone. Company still exists but bought out by Corp monster who obviously refined the Brands offerings to fit in with their other Brands.

I have a lot of Roadrunners, I do prefer 1/16 to the 1/8 size but I never bought them in bulk smaller than 1/8. That was a mistake as I found I prefered the 1/16 for my uses. I buy all mine "naked" like these, Road Runner Heads

you can put any body or bait on them.

So basically the head design really makes the difference? Cool... I might have to pick up some 1/16 for my ultralight then...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So basically the head design really makes the difference? Cool... I might have to pick up some 1/16 for my ultralight then...
    Not really, it is more the hook design. Roadrunners use a hook with a fairly wide gap, the distance from the point to the shank and also have a fairly long shank, which is better for larger fish. For me, I tend to use jigs like the Roadrunner with bait and I may be fishing for anything from Perch To Walleye so I want versatility, not a large hook.

Fish hook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So for those reasons, when using Ultralight usually 1/8th in a lot of jigs is too big. Compact with a good hook is best! Banana shaped jigs. For UL I use them with bait, plastics or even bare. 1/64 to 1/16.

The head or jig design itself affects other aspects of fishing it, like a round jig versus a football jig. The fall of the jig in the water, how it sits on the bottom, how it swims back, how it drags the bottom or how you fish it through weeds/grass.

Here is one example of a design I love with fuzzy grub bodies or minnows, other companies make a similar jig. It drops slow, will drop in a circular motion or helicopter, jigs great on the bottom, works under slip bobbers.

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=151&pc=241

Here you can see other similar banana shapes, like the doodle bug and various jig shapes
    http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=241

Ancient Fishing Secret: A small hook can catch small and big fish but a big hook can only catch large fish.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Not really, it is more the hook design. Roadrunners use a hook with a fairly wide gap, the distance from the point to the shank and also have a fairly long shank, which is better for larger fish. For me, I tend to use jigs like the Roadrunner with bait and I may be fishing for anything from Perch To Walleye so I want versatility, not a large hook.

Fish hook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So for those reasons, when using Ultralight usually 1/8th in a lot of jigs is too big. Compact with a good hook is best! Banana shaped jigs. For UL I use them with bait, plastics or even bare. 1/64 to 1/16.

The head or jig design itself affects other aspects of fishing it, like a round jig versus a football jig. The fall of the jig in the water, how it sits on the bottom, how it swims back, how it drags the bottom or how you fish it through weeds/grass.

Here is one example of a design I love with fuzzy grub bodies or minnows, other companies make a similar jig. It drops slow, will drop in a circular motion or helicopter, jigs great on the bottom, works under slip bobbers.

Northland Fishing Tackle: FIRE-EYE® GRUB

Here you can see other similar banana shapes, like the doodle bug and various jig shapes
    Northland Fishing Tackle: Jigs, Jigs & More Jigs!

Ancient Fishing Secret: A small hook can catch small and big fish but a big hook can only catch large fish.

That's one of the things I love about my little Renosky minnows with the gold aberdeen hooks, small hooks catch EVERYTHING, as long as they don't straighten the hook...

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I really like to catch fish but I would rather catch BIG fish so I use the big baits. I have been after cats and striped bass recently. When I go with the little hooks it's for bait. Any of you guys ever catch skipjack herring? Great catfish bait and one heck of a fight on ultralight. When they are in good you can catch them by the hundreds and up to 2 pounds. Fight harder than any bass out there too.

Hard to beat a plate full of fried gill & perch though!!!

Top Bottom