• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Morgon-Monroe State Forest- A few miles east of 37 between Martinsville and Bloomington. Great trails, not too busy, campsite that is primitive. Also, you can camp for free in the "backcountry" but that is really designed for backpackers- although there is a spot where you could park and just carry your stuff a few hundred yards. I've done a few short hikes and a 2 day hike with my hound there. The trail that I was on for my 2-day actually is almost 40 miles long and runs into Yellowood State Forest near Nashville, where I've done day hikes. Around Bloomington there is no shortage of fantastic hikes. But, if you are coming from Lafayette, Morgan Monroe is the closest and is not inferior to any of the other park. For me, the biggest benefit is that the State Forests always have less people than the State Parks.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Dude, just head south to Shades and/or Turkey Run.

OR down the road to Prophetstown SP right thar north of Lafayette.

-J-

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Morgon-Monroe State Forest- A few miles east of 37 between Martinsville and Bloomington.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the area as my uncle owns land bordering Morgan-Monroe (near Liberty Church Road, he had the large red barn on 37).:)

I have very fond memories shooting and fishing near at his place and hiking into Morgan-Monroe.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you go to Shades, you can also stop at the Waveland Gun Club near the main entrance and bust a few caps.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Potato Creek, Northcentral Indiana. A great place to take a walk through the woods. I go 6 or 7 times a year and now that it's perfectaly permissable to cary a gun, I just smile at the people
    knowing I am safe.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom