Favorite weapon-mounted light for your handgun??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    With a class coming up soon for Low-Light Defensive Handgun, I hope we'll get some some good pics for comparison with a lot of different lights. It's always interesting to hear peoples thoughts on the topic. We'll be comparing the beams, looking for throw, spill, et. In our experience, weapon lights are like cars...everybody has a preference with models they love.

Until then though - what is your favorite weapon-mounted light for the handgun? And why?

We run several different lights as our instructors all have different gear. Surefire X300U, Inforce APL, Streamlight TLR-1, Blackhawk and an Insight as well. Pros and cons to everything. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

One thing that always seems to get overlooked though: Activation method and how that actually impacts the effectiveness of the light during a fight. Would love to hear your thoughts there too.

Pictured below: G22 with Inforce APL on the left. Glock 17 with Surefire X300U on the right.

And on behalf of the HTF crew - HAVE A GREAT (AND SAFE) 4th OF JULY! :patriot:

Attachments

• low-light weaponlights - email 3.JPG
      low-light weaponlights - email 3.JPG
      39.9 KB · Views: 31

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'm trying to decide this right now. I sold my x300u as I didn't like the plastic mount set up. Felt kinda cheap to me. I still have my x400 and x300 also a tlr-2. But I miss the brightness of the x300u so I have been thinking the new stream light tlr1-hl. Like 630 lumens and has a lot of great reviews especially for the price. I wish the inforce came in a but brighter package and I would definitely pick one up.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have used the Insight (then Streamlight, now Insight again) M3 since the dark days (pardon the pun). Own two, never had a lick of trouble with either. A couple years ago I decided to join the LED revolution and rather than spring for new lights (which would have required new holsters and possibly a new manual of arms), I just bought LED conversion units for my old lights. I like them even better now, and see no need to switch.

YMMV.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I've used the TLR1&2 and the x300. I like the momentary switch better on the Surefire but the stream lights are a lot easier to put on and off the gun.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I prefer the TLR-1S.
    MPCORE_01.jpg

MP9SD_01.jpg

MP9Sights_02.jpg

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Tlr-1

Considering trying out the Inforce, as I am pleased with the WPL I have.

As far as activation techniques, I use my support hand thumb and only activate light in brief "flashes".

In the, very rare occurance, that I want the light to stay on, I use my trigger finger for constant on, for my TLR-1. (I feel doing it this way is good to mentally distinguish between the modes/functions of the light.)

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I use (and have 2 of) the Surefire x300 lights. I like the brightness, and I like that you push in for momentary activation, and down or up for constant. I have found that if I push in for momentary and then shoot, the recoil causes the light to move up (or my thumb to move down) and turn the light to constant on. Not 100% sure how I feel about that, but it is what it is. I like the light, and I wish surefire didn't discontinue it when they made the x300U. I just have too many holsters for the guns with x300, and don't want to buy more just because I switch lights.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Streamlight's TLR-3 makes the most versatile and well liked for me. I can put it on any pistol and it fits snugly and works well.
    main.php

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    X300 Ultra for me with the DG switch. I can't think of a situation where I would want to run a defensive handgun with light constantly on, so this works well for me. i especially like having the option of running both the light and the gun one handed.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    TLR-2 HL
    Although 630 lumens is VERY bright indoors against white walls. A regular 300 lumen TLR-2 could be perfect.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Tlr-1

Considering trying out the Inforce, as I am pleased with the WPL I have.

As far as activation techniques, I use my support hand thumb and only activate light in brief "flashes".

In the, very rare occurance, that I want the light to stay on, I use my trigger finger for constant on, for my TLR-1. (I feel doing it this way is good to mentally distinguish between the modes/functions of the light.)

Ok i have to mention this. I have seen people manipulate their weapon light with their trigger finger (i have before also) and I thoroughly believe it needs to stop unless there are no other options. The trigger fingers sole job while handling a firearm should be split between actuating the trigger and staying the heck off the trigger when nothing needs perforated. Those are the only two things it should be preoccupied with during a gun fight. I have witnessed a nd on a range due to the shooter trying to turn on his light with his trigger finger. that was in a sterile environment with zero stress. Fine motor skills are first out the window in a high stress situation. I highly advocate using your support hand thumb to manipulate the light.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    Ok i have to mention this. I have seen people manipulate their weapon light with their trigger finger (i have before also) and I thoroughly believe it needs to stop unless there are no other options. The trigger fingers sole job while handling a firearm should be split between actuating the trigger and staying the heck off the trigger when nothing needs perforated. Those are the only two things it should be preoccupied with during a gun fight. I have witnessed a nd on a range due to the shooter trying to turn on his light with his trigger finger. that was in a sterile environment with zero stress. Fine motor skills are first out the window in a high stress situation. I highly advocate using your support hand thumb to manipulate the light.

Excellent insight. We discussed this last night in our low light class.

Mbomb3869

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Muncie
    Ive used a TLR-1 and the surefire X300 ultra. They both have their pros and cons for me. I like the switch on the tlr better. I like the styling and the pressure switch for the surefire better. if you can try both, they are both great

Top Bottom