• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You've all seen the ads where the Scooter Store guarantees to get you approved for a free scooter. Well the FBI just raided them. Didn't say what the charges might be, but I am guessing it has something to do with the estimated overbilling of Medicare of $100 million from '09-'12.

FBI Declares War on The Scooter Store - Yahoo! News

So obviously the solution is to expand Medicare so that it can be abused by even more people.....

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Actually, this has been happening for quite some time. If a place is suspected of medicaid/medicare fraud...there are quite a few agencies involved with the investigation and the FBI is just a small part.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I can't believe they let this go as long as they did. This company harasses physicians to the point that it impedes their daily business operations. We have had patients calling and asking why our physician won't sign off on it when a sales rep said they qualified, we have had irate family members calling on behalf of the "needy" patient, and those lovely drop in's from a sales rep while your waiting room is full and you have to try and not look like a jerk while explaining {to someone who knows these regs better than you} that we cannot falsify a medical record to establish the required Medicare level of need. :xmad:

Doctors and former employees told CBS that the company would harass physicians with non-stop phone calls and offices drop-ins in order to wear them down. The company even has a special department devoted to getting chairs for patients who had already been ruled ineligible by Medicare.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Ha! I was wondering how long it would be before .gov figured out what most people seeing those annoying ads three times an hour already knew.

KarrieJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    I always expected something like this. Not just the Scooter Store, any of those product providers that incessantly advertise soliciting new customers that are "covered by Medicare or Medicaid". Lazy and obese should not be reasons to need a scooter. It's no wonder you can't walk into a store without almost getting run over 10 times by one of these things. Doesn't people like to use their legs anymore? :3 I always knew that their commercial was just a phony medicare scam just to get money from innocent people who desperately need a wheelchair. And seriously this fraud is the problem with our medical system. Every one is just greedy.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Almost 8 years ago when I became wheelchair bound the therapist asked if I wanted a power chair. I replied with why would I need a power chair when I can use my arms? They said its up to the customer. A power chair is way more expensive than a manual chair. So is the out of pocket expense. Since then I have gotten 3 manual chairs totaling to about $15,000. The one I use the most is the the first one I received which I affectionately call Ol' Faithful. I broke the second one and replaced it with the 3rd. I am in no way skinny but I refuse to use a power chair/scooter. I can definitely see why people need them, but people who are obese and lazy p*** me off. They ride around on scooter in Walmart while I'm pushing myself through the woods just for fun and my 88 year old grandma couldn't get approved for a rascal after she broke her hip. Hell I have handicapped plates and refuse to park in the parking spots because I know someone needs those spots more than me.

I apologize for the semi off topic rant. I'll stop now.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Almost 8 years ago when I became wheelchair bound the therapist asked if I wanted a power chair. I replied with why would I need a power chair when I can use my arms? They said its up to the customer. A power chair is way more expensive than a manual chair. So is the out of pocket expense. Since then I have gotten 3 manual chairs totaling to about $15,000. The one I use the most is the the first one I received which I affectionately call Ol' Faithful. I broke the second one and replaced it with the 3rd. I am in no way skinny but I refuse to use a power chair/scooter. I can definitely see why people need them, but people who are obese and lazy p*** me off. They ride around on scooter in Walmart while I'm pushing myself through the woods just for fun and my 88 year old grandma couldn't get approved for a rascal after she broke her hip. Hell I have handicapped plates and refuse to park in the parking spots because I know someone needs those spots more than me.

I apologize for the semi off topic rant. I'll stop now.
    You're fine ;-). It's nice to have a little insight into what you've experienced over your life.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    You're fine ;-). It's nice to have a little insight into what you've experienced over your life.

I appreciate it. For some reason I find lazy people extremely irritating. I have spent the last 8 years making myself completely independant. I can accomplish any task with zero help. I have been this way for several years except for getting a house, which I now have and am remodeling and modifying it so I can move in. In my eyes I have it pretty easy. I can use my arms fully. I know people that can barely use their arms and still use manual chairs and are independant. When I think about someone with no problems other than being super lazy getting a scooter with ease and a young lady who is a quadriplegic having trouble getting her chair makes me infuriated.

Top Bottom