• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    :yesway:
    FBI Reports Huge Decrease In Murders As Firearm, Ammunition And Large Magazine Sales Soar

FBI Reports Huge Decrease In Murders As Firearm, Ammunition And “Large” Magazine Sales Soar Tuesday, December 29, 2009 Last week, the FBI issued its preliminary 2009 crime report, showing that the number of murders in the first half of 2009 decreased 10 percent compared to the first half of 2008. If the trend holds for the remainder of 2009, it will be the single greatest one-year decrease in the number of murders since at least 1960, the earliest year for which national data are available through the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Also, the per capita murder rate for 2009 will be 51 percent lower than the all-time high recorded in 1991, and it will be the lowest rate since 1963—a 46-year low. Final figures for 2009 will be released by the FBI next year.

According to gun control supporter dogma—“more guns means more crime”—the number of privately owned firearms must have decreased 10 percent in 2009. To the contrary, however, the number rose between 1.5 and 2 percent, to an all-time high. For the better part of the last 15 months, firearms, ammunition, and “large” ammunition magazines have been sold in what appear to be record quantities. And, the firearms that were most commonly purchased in 2009 are those that gun control supporters most want to be banned—AR-15s, similar semi-automatic rifles, and handguns designed for defense. The National Shooting Sports Foundation already estimates record ammunition sales in 2009, dominated by .223 Remington, 7.62x39mm, 9mm and other calibers widely favored for defensive purposes.

Also indicative of the upward trend in firearm sales, the number of national instant check transactions rose 24.5 percent in the first six months of 2009 compared to the first six months in 2008, the greatest increase since NICS’ inception in 1998. Through the end of October, NICS transactions rose18 percent, compared to the same period in 2008.

More Guns Means More Crime? Hardly. In 2009, more guns meant less crime, in a very, very big way.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    These numbers are encouraging. I think it's funny that..
    Also indicative of the upward trend in firearm sales, the number of national instant check transactions rose 24.5 percent in the first six months of 2009 compared to the first six months in 2008, the greatest increase since NICS’ inception in 1998. Through the end of October, NICS transactions rose18 percent, compared to the same period in 2008.
    but yet......
    the number of privately owned firearms must have decreased 10 percent in 2009. To the contrary, however, the number rose between 1.5 and 2 percent, to an all-time high.
    That means many gun owners already on a whole lot of guns. :)

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I was very happy reading this, but I also urge us all to be very careful about not using the data (sales and crime numbers) inappropriately. Remember that correlation does not mean causation: because two things are related does not mean one has caused the other. Gun writers/magazines often seem to point out when the anti-gun lobby do this, so let's not make the same mistake we criticizes others for making.
    On a personal note, I would be surprised if, given an appropriate statistical analysis, the rise in gun sales was found to be not causally related to the decrease in crime, but until we actually have such an analysis we can't for sure. But, it is nonetheless quite important, even if causation does not correctly exist that they are related in any way.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I was very happy reading this, but I also urge us all to be very careful about not using the data (sales and crime numbers) inappropriately. Remember that correlation does not mean causation: because two things are related does not mean one has caused the other. Gun writers/magazines often seem to point out when the anti-gun lobby do this, so let's not make the same mistake we criticizes others for making.
    On a personal note, I would be surprised if, given an appropriate statistical analysis, the rise in gun sales was found to be not causally related to the decrease in crime, but until we actually have such an analysis we can't for sure. But, it is nonetheless quite important, even if causation does not correctly exist that they are related in any way.

+1, Reps for you.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI

NYC has experienced a record low homicide rate for 2009.

New York murder rate reaches record low | Mail Online

Buckaroo

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Who thinks that with unemployment reaching news highs, that these good numbers will hold?
    Unemployment was at all time lows during the 8 years of Bush.
    I think idle hands will find trouble. I look for crime to increase across the board.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Why is there no mention of this in any of the MSM? I can only find reference to it on firearm supportive sites.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    Interesting indeed, how do we explain this?

ITS THE PIGEONS MAN!

TheUSmodernmilitaryisturningahigh-t.jpg

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area

If you are looking for detailed studies to support this. I suggest reading "Armed" by Gary Kleck & Don B. Kates or "More Guns, Less Crime" by John R. Lott, Jr. Both books give studies done by people who are not even gun supporters and were not real happy about the results, but those were the results. Great material to argue that the anti gun group has no real data to support their claims.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I was very happy reading this, but I also urge us all to be very careful about not using the data (sales and crime numbers) inappropriately. Remember that correlation does not mean causation: because two things are related does not mean one has caused the other.

However, it does mean that more guns DO NOT cause more crime. That supposed causal link is definitely disproved.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    It is good to at least have some factual evidence going toward second ammendment supporters but I am honestly surprised with all the job losses and economy that things didn't get worse.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Excellent find! This is the kind of article you use to counter the Liberal BS you hear.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    "An armed society is a polite society."
    Robert A. Heinlein

Mr Heinlein, who wrote "Starship Troopers" in 1959, (Yes!! 1959) had a keen sense of moral values. He understood that people are more likely to act with reason if everyone is armed. Bullies and thugs would become an endangered species very quickly if their victims were carrying guns.
    Mike

Top Bottom