FBI thwarts another of its own bombing plots; Model Airplanes now under scrutiny

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The FBI set up another fake terror plot, found a foreign dupe to frame it around, and busted him. The American public hears the headlines, feels the fear, and then is grateful for having their freedoms clamped down on so that they can feel safer.

FBI Successful In Breaking Up Yet Another Of Its Own Plots To Bomb The U.S.
    We've discussed this a few times in the past, but the FBI's main counter-terrorism initiative these days appears to be centered around creating its own terrorist plots to thwart. First, they find clueless, easily manipulated people (frequently young and Muslim), who have no actual connections with terrorists. Then, they concoct entire terrorism plots, where every other person is an FBI agent, and any tools, "weapons" and money are supplied by the FBI. Finally, they "bust" the guy just before he carries out the plot that never would have happened anyway, because it's not like the FBI would supply the actual weapons. We see this pattern again and again -- and each time the press uncritically hypes up how the FBI successfully stopped a real "homegrown" terrorist.

Of course, it's happened once again, and the basic plotlines are identical to ones in the past. And, of course, the press is describing it like it was an actual terrorist plot, pretending that people was actually at risk. Glenn Greenwald's summary of this and other cases is pretty spot on:
    The FBI again thwarts its own Terror plot
    And now, the FBI has yet again saved us all from its own Terrorist plot by arresting 26-year-old American citizen Rezwan Ferdaus after having spent months providing him with the plans and materials to attack the Pentagon, American troops in Iraq, and possibly the Capitol Building using “remote-controlled” model airplanes carrying explosives.None of these cases entail the FBI’s learning of an actual plot and then infiltrating it to stop it. They all involve the FBI’s purposely seeking out Muslims (typically young and impressionable ones) whom they think harbor animosity toward the U.S. and who therefore can be induced to launch an attack despite having never taken even a single step toward doing so before the FBI targeted them. Each time the FBI announces it has disrupted its own plot, press coverage is predictably hysterical (new Homegrown Terrorist caught!), fear levels predictably rise, and new security measures are often implemented in response (the FBI’s Terror plot aimed at the D.C. Metro, for instance, led to the Metro Police announcing a new policy of random searches of passengers’ bags).
    Massachusetts man accused of plotting to bomb Washington
    BOSTON — A 26-year-old man from a town west of Boston was charged Wednesday with plotting to blow up the Pentagon and the United States Capitol using remote-controlled aircraft filled with plastic explosives. A model of an F-86 drone, a real version of which was reportedly given to the suspect.
    Officials said the suspect, Rezwan Ferdaus, took this Pentagon surveillance photo.
    The suspect, Rezwan Ferdaus of Ashland, is an American citizen and has a physics degree from Northeastern University in Boston, according to an F.B.I. affidavit. Mr. Ferdaus also tried to provide detonation devices, weapons and other resources to Al Qaeda to carry out attacks on American soldiers stationed overseas, law enforcement officials said.
    BOSTON-articleInline.jpg

Model Airplanes On Public's Radar As Potential Terrorist Weapons In Wake Of Foiled Plot
    BOSTON — Model airplanes are suddenly on the public's radar as potential terrorist weapons. A 26-year-old man from a Boston suburb was arrested Wednesday and accused of plotting to attack the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol with remote-controlled model planes packed with explosives.
    These are not balsa-wood-and-rubber-band toys investigators are talking about. The FBI said Rezwan Ferdaus hoped to use military-jet replicas, 5 to 7 1/2 feet long, guided by GPS devices and capable of speeds over 100 mph.
    Federal officials have long been aware of the possibility someone might try to use such planes as weapons, but there are no restrictions on their purchase – Ferdaus is said to have bought his over the Internet.
    Counterterrorism experts and model-aircraft hobbyists said it would be nearly impossible to inflict large-scale damage of the sort Ferdaus allegedly envisioned using model planes. The aircraft are too small, can't carry enough explosives and are too tricky to fly, they said.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am still waiting for a ban on automobiles and trucks since most terrorist bombs overseas are car bombs. In fact, since the Time Square bomber used an automobile, we need searches like at the airports. Since the shoe bomber we have to remove our shoes, the underwear bomber caused full body searches, with the Time Square car bomber, I am shocked that the control freaks in the government haven't instituted searches at every driveway in the formerly free United States.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Federal officials have long been aware of the possibility someone might try to use such planes as weapons, but there are no restrictions on their purchase – Ferdaus is said to have bought his over the Internet.

Not THE INTERNET! What lawlessness is perpetrated when the government can't regulate purchase of model planes over THE INTERNET?!!?!?

Raisins_Face.jpg

Also,

Caw Caw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I'm torn between the idea that the F.B.I. watches for people that want to commit terrorist acts and then sends agents to sell them supplies and gain intelligence so they can arrest them and their accomplices,or the way rambone,s article leads you to believe that the F.B.I. sends agents into the Muslim community to find a weak minded young man to talk into doing something stupid so they can arrest him like heros later.

If it's the later it's a shame on our country,and makes me sick.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm torn between the idea that the F.B.I. watches for people that want to commit terrorist acts and then sends agents to sell them supplies and gain intelligence so they can arrest them and their accomplices,or the way rambone,s article leads you to believe that the F.B.I. sends agents into the Muslim community to find a weak minded young man to talk into doing something stupid so they can arrest him like heros later.

If it's the later it's a shame on our country,and makes me sick.

Look up the Newburgh Four. Some news articles indicate that the FBI informant had a criminal background, and he agreed to inform on fellow Muslims to get out of jail. It wouldn't be a stretch to suspect that his tactics were fraudulent. Some of the so-called terrorists were apparently the desperate poor who really needed the money, and thought that the bomb wouldn't kill anyone. One of them allegedly repeatedly turned down the informant's offer to "join the jihad," until he lost his job and was in dire straits. With cases like this, we are pretty close to entrapping the disadvantaged for making decisions that anyone else in their position might make. We're not catching terrorists.

With this latest case, I notice that the accused majored in physics. He must have been a really bad physics major, because according to model airplane experts, the one he was planning to use could carry a load of only two pounds, and he still needed to install the GPS. That leaves you, what, 8 oz?

There are a few cases of people going nuts and killing people randomly, whether by shooting or by driving wildly, proclaiming that they are doing jihad. They may be closer to the sort of people we ought to be catching. But such cases seem to reflect some sort of mental illness.

As for the Time Square bomber, well, I still can't figure out how he got a parking spot.

Da Bing

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Look up the Newburgh Four. Some news articles indicate that the FBI informant had a criminal background, and he agreed to inform on fellow Muslims to get out of jail. It wouldn't be a stretch to suspect that his tactics were fraudulent. Some of the so-called terrorists were apparently the desperate poor who really needed the money, and thought that the bomb wouldn't kill anyone. One of them allegedly repeatedly turned down the informant's offer to "join the jihad," until he lost his job and was in dire straits. With cases like this, we are pretty close to entrapping the disadvantaged for making decisions that anyone else in their position might make. We're not catching terrorists.

Fake terror, Real sentence -- FBI admittedly set up attacks to fuel terror fear

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I am still waiting for a ban on automobiles and trucks since most terrorist bombs overseas are car bombs. In fact, since the Time Square bomber used an automobile, we need searches like at the airports. Since the shoe bomber we have to remove our shoes, the underwear bomber caused full body searches, with the Time Square car bomber, I am shocked that the control freaks in the government haven't instituted searches at every driveway in the formerly free United States.

We've got one. It's called $4.00 gas.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    They just keep trying to scare us into more government. If we get scared we ask them to save us; however, that doesn't work so well if you look at what happened in the UK recently with all of the gunless peeps getting pillaged by rioters...

I love all of these fake plots that they stop just in time. The evidence is hiding in plane site, but most people never see it. They hear that FBI or TSA stopped something on a soundbite and the feel good and move on.

Another good post Rambone- thanks

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    With this latest case, I notice that the accused majored in physics. He must have been a really bad physics major, because according to model airplane experts, the one he was planning to use could carry a load of only two pounds, and he still needed to install the GPS. That leaves you, what, 8 oz?

Da Bing

That was my initial thought. Can a model plane even carry enough ordinance to do any damage to a stone building? Then I saw the pics and thought...well maybe, that is a big model with a fairly powerful engine.

I didn't bother to look up the specs on it though. You never know where the thought police are lurking.

Top Bottom