• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    This is a link for the FBI's collection of data as to how the homicide was performed with. If this is a repeat I am sorry I searched several different ways and did not see the link. Oh well I will hush and let you see the true numbers for yourself from our own FBI:

FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8

Notice how people killed by those evil "Rifles" are less that by knives, blunt weapons, and from hands, feet and fists.

Please inform the masses with the information they want straight from the Horses mouth.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    We should start a national hand sanitizer campaign. Germs kill the most people each year, only followed by old age. We should ban old age!

Who wants to live forever?

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    I agree that anyone that loses their life from any of these items is sad and horrifying to their family. With that said this info about knives and more knife laws might have saved those people in Texas. Then again if the Texans that own guns were allowed to carry them on campus would the assailant have used a knife or a gun, and would a student have been able to save some/all of the victims if allowed to carry his weapon on the college campus??? Food for thought.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Notice how people killed by those evil "Rifles" are less that by knives, blunt weapons, and from hands, feet and fists. ...

AND, the 2011 number was the LOWEST of the 5 years reported.

Also also less than shotguns, btw, of which VP Biden is an ardent supporter.

But you see, so-called gun control is not about the numbers, it's not about crime, it's not about safety, it's not about the children.

Those are all just plausible political cover to advance an agenda of more control with an ultimate goal of disarming the American people.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    AND, the 2011 number was the LOWEST of the 5 years reported.

Also also less than shotguns, btw, of which VP Biden is an ardent supporter.

But you see, so-called gun control is not about the numbers, it's not about crime, it's not about safety, it's not about the children.

Those are all just plausible political cover to advance an agenda of more control with an ultimate goal of disarming the American people.

Yes Cosermann you are correct this is a way to prevent us to act back if such a situation came up. We are not all dumb, back woods, imbred, married to our siblings, gun owners. Some of us have that gray mass above our shoulders and we use it to educate our selves with the information that our government puts out.

Oh no I have to go my wife/sister is calling me to the road kill possum stew dinner.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Please note that IN SPITE OF the lack of so-called "common sense" anti-gun legislation that the FBI figures show a STEADY DECLINE in firearms-related homicide.

Why is nobody in DC pointing this out? It's because doing nothing is not "progressive" or "bold". Clearly something other than more restrictive anti-2nd Amendment law is causing a significant and steady drop in gun homicides.

It's not possible to show any such statistics for random acts of violent mass-murder like Newtown, CT as these events are so rare (and thankfully so) that there is no way to draw any meaningful trends out of them.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Please feel free to use this as a starting point when writing to your Senators and Rep. about this:

Dear [Senator/Rep.] {Coats/Donnelly/whoever},

I see that the FBI has released their latest figures for homicides committed with firearms from 2007 through 2011. You can review it yourself at:

//www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

Interestingly in spite of the lack of...

1) ...so-called "universal background checks".
    2) ...a ban on weapons incorrectly called "assault weapons".
    3) ...a ban on so-called "high capacity" detachable magazines
    4) ...any other legislation at the federal level since 2007 that restricts citizens' rights beyond where they are currently restricted.
    5) ...any other so-called "common sense" anti-gun legislation.

That the RATE and the OCCURRENCE of firearms-related homicide across the USA has declined steadily and significantly. Falling from almost 15,000 in 2007 to below 13,000 per year in 2011. I read that as a 15% decline. This is in spite of the fact that during the same 5 year period, the total population of the US increased.

I also note that during the period 2007-2011 many states have enacted open and concealed handgun carry laws, "stand your ground" laws, and "castle doctrine" laws.

It would appear that encouraging gun ownership or at least doing nothing is being quite effective.

I also ask you to note that there are places in the US where this trend is not following the nation as a whole. Places like Chicago IL, Washington DC, and Los Angeles CA, where some of the most restrictive and 2nd Amendment infringing laws are already on the books, are seeing continued and significant increases in their homicide rates, both firearms-related and other.

I hope you will consider this important information in the event that additional 2nd Amendment-infringing legislation comes before Congress. It's my understanding that there is no shortage of such proposals this session and I urge you to OPPOSE them all.

Sincerely,

[insert your name here]

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Please note that IN SPITE OF the lack of so-called "common sense" anti-gun legislation that the FBI figures show a STEADY DECLINE in firearms-related homicide.

Much of this decline is due to better emergency medical treatment and has zero to do with any laws. If you are shot, and roll into a modern ER with a heartbeat, you have a 95% chance of surviving. If you were to look at the total number of shootings vs homicides, the decline in shootings, is not nearly as steep.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of ANY further restriction on our 2A rights, just sayin don't put all your eggs in the homicide rates are falling basket.:twocents:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Much of this decline is due to better emergency medical treatment and has zero to do with any laws. If you are shot, and roll into a modern ER with a heartbeat, you have a 95% chance of surviving. If you were to look at the total number of shootings vs homicides, the decline in shootings, is not nearly as steep.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of ANY further restriction on our 2A rights, just sayin don't put all your eggs in the homicide rates are falling basket.:twocents:

Has the state of emergency medicine really improved that much in just the last 5 years?

And this is just one data point. There is also the FBI UCR that has violence and gun-related violence. That data also shows significant declines in the same period:

FBI — Table 1

It's not clear how emergency rooms would have an overall impact on violent crime commissions.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Has the state of emergency medicine really improved that much in just the last 5 years?

The vast number of homicides are committed in large urban areas. The number of level one trauma centers in these areas has increased in recent years. Not saying it accounts for a 15% drop, but it is a large factor.

Someone told me the other day that our homicide rate today is the same as in 1960. That's great, what would the rate have been in 1960 if they had 2013 medical care?

I have no stats and am basically talkin outta my arse here, but I would wager that medical care for shooting victims and the consolidation of the drug trade into the hands of a few powerful gangs has more to do with lower homicide rates than any other factors. For many years, drug trafficking was controlled by the mob. Violence related to it was kept to a minimum. In the 70's and 80's, when the .gov cracked down on organized crime, a vacuum was created that needed filling. This caused the rise of street gangs, many of which were already involved in the business through ties to organized crime. This led to a rise in murder rates from the late 70's to early 90's that no amount of medical advancement could make up for. Now, through natural selection, we once again have the stronger, smarter, more violent gangs rising to the top and exerting control. Violence is bad for business, just like in the days of the old school mobsters. Turf wars have been settled, market shares divided up and now they can focus on their core business. Well, it's a theory anyways.:dunno:

In the end, there are lots of factors that led to the lower homicide rates of recent years. Somewhere, down at the very bottom of the list, is anything produced by our legislators.

Top Bottom