Federal agent shoots ankle charging rat terrier in Fishers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Was the dog on his property?

Sounds like it was, also sounds like maybe he's had problems before with his neighbors and decided that since I have a badge I'll just take care of this little problem once and for all, just hope when this idiot comes home after work next week , this little dog in a wheel chair just yaps his little heart out at him!

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    This, I'm a cop so I can do whatever I want with no worry of being punished total bull****. Not only is his judgement poor, his aim is too. Law enforcement should know better than anyone that you do not pull your weapon unless you fear for your life. And when you pull, you visually check the target before shooting. This thin blue line crap makes me sick. No wonder the police have a bad public image.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    one of those little ankle biters came at me recently. it turns out that it was scared to death of the laser on my taser. the little red dot made that dog freak out and run like it was being chased. I lol'd.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    what a bunch of crap. He felt threatened by an 18 lb dog? He's either a complete wuss, or was just looking for an excuse to shoot something. He should be brought up on charges.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Going Adam Vinatieri would have been a better choice than going Wyatt Earp.

You know it wasn't Raylon, the dog would've been dead.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'm certainly glad to see that the Town of Fishers is not going to charge this guy with any crime. It seems he was well within his rights to fire on an attacking animal. The SIZE of the animal is not really all that important in my view, the perceived threat. The dog's owner should have taken steps to keep the animal under control and this would never have happened.

Of course anyone can sue someone for just about any silly reason. If this were California I'd say he's in big trouble and better start saving up the $10K. But I hope (perhaps foolishly) that our Hamilton County Courts have better sense. The FAULT here is on the part of the dog's owner who chose to let this animal run loose!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    “a small dog came out of the bushes and began to bark” at him.
    And he felt threatened? Enough to deploy deadly force???

And Fishers Police decided it was self defense? What if it had been a hissing cat?

Against barking. Can you imagine what this "officer" is going to do the next time he serves a warrant and someone "resists"?

Sounds like the LA and NYPD has reached our fair state.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I'm certainly glad to see that the Town of Fishers is not going to charge this guy with any crime. It seems he was well within his rights to fire on an attacking animal. The SIZE of the animal is not really all that important in my view, the perceived threat. The dog's owner should have taken steps to keep the animal under control and this would never have happened.

Of course anyone can sue someone for just about any silly reason. If this were California I'd say he's in big trouble and better start saving up the $10K. But I hope (perhaps foolishly) that our Hamilton County Courts have better sense. The FAULT here is on the part of the dog's owner who chose to let this animal run loose!

It's a small,yapp'n dog dude.......read middle quote on post #31............let'cher consious be yer guide with some dog owners.......:cool:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Ah c'mon, give the poor Marshall a break. After all Marshalling work can get very boring sometimes and these poor guys hardly ever get to fondle their guns much less shoot anything. At that time of the night he was no doubt high on donut glazing and likely imagined that he was being attacked by a ferocious rabid wolf prowling the Indianapolis suburbs at night, he may have even thought that he was Liam Neeson. This is why it is absolutely imperative to have a different set of laws for police than for other citizens so that they can break the law with no accountability whatsoever.

Besides, the Chicago PD is always looking for a few good men skilled at gunning down unarmed puppies.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    What 18 pound dog can be perceived as a threat to your life? A threat to the structural integrity of your shoelaces...yes. A threat to leaving a small puncture on your hand...yes. A threat that warrants deadly force as a reaction...no.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The SIZE of the animal is not really all that important in my view, the perceived threat.

An 18 pound dog that at best, can get up on its hind legs and kinda gnaw at your knee is a perceived threat that justifies lethal force as a reaction? Do you also shoot at leaves blowing across your yard in a stiff breeze because you perceive them to be a threat?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I had a similar situation happen in my neighborhood many years ago.
    I was walking through the neighborhood when a small dog quietly attacked me from behind and bit my ankle, I tried to shoo him away but he was very quick and stayed behind me where I couldn't get at him with my feet, after several minutes of this I pulled out my revolver and just as I was lining upon him his owner shouted at him from down the street and finally got him away from me before I shot him.
    Sometimes they just won't quit on there own and you do have the right to protect yourself with whatever it takes.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    With a reaction to a "threat" of this magnitude, I doubt it will be long before this individual shoots a human inappropriately, possibly taking a life unnecessarily. True, in the letter of the law he was within his rights, but there should be a common sense clause in there somewhere that negates shooting at mosquitoes because it might give you west Nile virus...

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    If a common civilian had done this you couldn't begin to count the charges that would be filed. Illegal discharge, animal cruelty is only the beginning. Your firearms would be confiscated and you would have to hire a lawyer and pray they are returned after a large legal hassle and you proved you was in fact sane and responsible. I have the utmost respect for almost all of our LEOs and the job they do but the "thin blue line" crap is disgusting. My brother is a LEO and I give him crap about it all the time.

Top Bottom