• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Monsanto should put this new ruling to good use.

Federal court rules human genes can be patented
    The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled in a 2 to 1 decision Friday that human genes can be patented because the DNA extracted from cells is not a product of nature.

DNA-Double-Helix-by-NHGRI.jpg

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    DNA extracted from cells not a product of nature.

wait, what?

This is pretty much my reaction as well.... guess I'm going to have to actually read the story....

HOLY CRAP!! It was actually the PATENT OFFICE arguing against this and the courts said F U...

The lawsuit was filed by the Public Patent Foundation and the American Civil Liberties Union, who claimed patents on human genes violate the First Amendment and patent law because genes are "products of nature."
    The court disagreed.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    This is pretty much my reaction as well.... guess I'm going to have to actually read the story....

HOLY CRAP!! It was actually the PATENT OFFICE arguing against this and the courts said F U...

Yeah, I just read it. Their argument is because they segmented a portion of the genome, that it is no longer a natural product?

Well hell, I'm going to patent the electron. After all, for electrical current to flow you must force electrons out of their valence shells of one atom, into those of another ad infinitum to create that current. Since I have to "cleave" these electrons from their natural atom, they are no longer a product of nature, right?

BRB. Patent Office.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Seriously folks, read Michael Crichton's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Next-Harper-Fiction-Michael-Crichton/dp/0060873167/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312316247&sr=8-1"]Next[/ame]. Yes, it's science fiction, but he gets into the legal ramifications of such decisions and describes better than I can how horribly wrong this can go.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, I just read it. Their argument is because they segmented a portion of the genome, that it is no longer a natural product?

Well hell, I'm going to patent the electron. After all, for electrical current to flow you must force electrons out of their valene shells of one atom, into those of another ad infinitum to create that current. Since I have to "cleave" these electrons from their natural atom, they are no longer a product of nature, right?

BRB. Patent Office.
    Electrons? Think smaller! I want quarks, leptons, bosons, mesons, etc.... They can't exist freely in nature any more (or less) than gene fragments can.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Electrons? Think smaller! I want quarks, leptons, bosons, mesons, etc.... They can't exist freely in nature any more (or less) than gene fragments can.

Sure, but I'm thinking profits and royalties my friend. Want that battery? Eff You, pay me. Watching TV? Eff you, pay me. Chatting on INGO? Eff you, PAY ME!

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Seriously folks, read Michael Crichton's Next. Yes, it's science fiction, but he gets into the legal ramifications of such decisions and describes better than I can how horribly wrong this can go.

^^ Pretty much this ^^

This ruling is the kind of thing that would allow for real life "Blade Runner" type scenarios.... private firms creating "specifically generated beings" from patented DNA strings...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    touche good sir. but every one of those items will contain electrons. Therefore we shall agree to hold each other without liability, and fleece the rest of the world.

:rockwoot:

I just patented the Law of Thermodynamics...all of your matter that is breaking down now costs you .1 for every five seconds of decay.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The bartender says what are you having?
    A Tachyon walks into a bar.
    A tachyon walks into a bar. The bartender says "We don't serve your kind here." The tachyon replies "You did tomorrow."

Particle thread declared!

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    A Higgs boson walks into a cathedral. The pastor says "We don't allow Higgs bosons in here ". The Higgs boson then asks "But without me how can you have mass?"

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    -1 to the court and the complete dumbasses that serve on it.

2 atoms are walking down the street. One says "oh! I just lost an electron." the other asks, "are you sure?" The first replies "yes - I'm positive."

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sure, but I'm thinking profits and royalties my friend. Want that battery? Eff You, pay me. Watching TV? Eff you, pay me. Chatting on INGO? Eff you, PAY ME!

I'll be happy to pay you but only if I get to pay you with USD since those are going to be worth nothing real soon. :laugh:

Top Bottom