• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    The new Federal HST (new to 380) is now available --at least on line. Bought several boxes from Able Ammo. Price and shipping not too bad. IT got great reviews on line and is a 99gr.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Click the wrong thing?? Whats the driving point of difference between this "new" stuff and the old?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you don't want to take the time to watch it all... They are good to go, one of the best choices out there.

If you start the video around the 7minute mark he goes over all that he claims as good to go and that make 12" of penetration every time through denim and bare gelatin. The only hydra shock downfall was inconstant expansion.

He goes on to say XTP's perform the best. Hydra-Shock's while not the best of all possible choices (the winner of the tests) make it into the small number (roughly 5) of hollow points deemed good to carry from all those that were tested!

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Bfish, I did watch the video just seeing if the OPs tests results were the same or different than the video. I am currently using 90gr Gold dots but my Primary weapon uses HST (I love them) from the video the HST did not perform well.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bfish, I did watch the video just seeing if the OPs tests results were the same or different than the video. I am currently using 90gr Gold dots but my Primary weapon uses HST (I love them) from the video the HST did not perform well.

Yep. Apparently physics is a *****. Contrary to what many ammo makers think, you cant just scale down a JHP and stick it on the end of shorter brass and expect it to perform equally well. Even my go to Golden Sabre failed miserably with inconsistent expansion in that slower caliber.

I use Precision One in my G42 and with that XTP it feeds nicely.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The tests that I have seen, the Gold Dots, XTPs Hydra-Shok have all expanded reliably. Penetration on the Gold Dots is a bit weak as compared to the others, but given the expansion, I would expect this. Asking for 14" from a pocket gun is a tall order. I understand the idea, but I guess I just dont expect that much out of my .380. If the issue of penetration beyond what the average hollow point offers in that caliber, I will step up to something that has a bit more umph, and deal with the bigger/heavier delivery system.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I think a lot of the problems in the tests were due to the short barrel of a micro gun. The ammo that was supposed to be at 1000 fps were often times below 900 fps. I loaded 90 gr XTP's for my P238 that has a barrel length of only 2.7 inches. They were getting close to 1000 fps at the range before I hit max load. I increased the powder (TiteGroup) to just under max and the slowest reading I got was still over 1050 fps. I believe the extra velocity will provide much better results than what factory ammo was showing. However, the Lehigh Ammo tests were pretty darn impressive. I think I will be ordering some of those bullets.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I think a lot of the problems in the tests were due to the short barrel of a micro gun.. .

Yep, barrel length makes a difference. People make the same mistake w/other calibers too (i.e. using data from a 4" test barrel and using the load in a 2" gun).

If the bullet drops too far from it's designed performance envelope, it won't consistently perform as designed.

Top Bottom