• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Damn, here in case you don't want to deal with Federal's interstitial :nono:

I've seen many ballistics gel tests and the HST just out preformed about everything else.

I'm still a Speer Gold Dot fan and user as well.

For 10mm full power loads and 44mag I still like the XTP.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Speer gold dot and HST are the best performing bullets for self defense, shown time and time again by independent studies. Most modern self defense rounds are more than adequate, but I’ve long said, if you are the kind who needs to research to have the absolute best… get GDs or HST.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I have been an HST guy for about 15 years now. I typically run 147 grain 9mm in my full size guns and I go for the HST Micro 150 grain in my pocket 9s.

That said, I wonder what happens to rounds that hit a zipper. Does it even effect the round at all ? If you are aiming center mass there has to be a greater than zero chance that a round will hit a zipper on a jacket on a hoodie ( or even God forbid a pair of jeans !). Some youtube ammo reviewer that is running low on video ideas should tackle the zipper variable with hollow point ammo.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I have been an HST guy for about 15 years now. I typically run 147 grain 9mm in my full size guns and I go for the HST Micro 150 grain in my pocket 9s.

That said, I wonder what happens to rounds that hit a zipper. Does it even effect the round at all ? If you are aiming center mass there has to be a greater than zero chance that a round will hit a zipper on a jacket on a hoodie ( or even God forbid a pair of jeans !). Some youtube ammo reviewer that is running low on video ideas should tackle the zipper variable with hollow point ammo.
    I doubt that the zipper would have significant effect. The teeth are anchored in fabric and would be easily broken apart and passed through. Even if the zipper would cause some early expansion of the round and/or slowing down, it would still send a significant shockwave through the body. Also, in a gunfight you would not be firing a single round. The next round would come a split second later and be offset at least a fraction of an inch and missing the zipper.

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Folks on here have stated that they will "up-gun" for winter clothing months...going from say a 9mm to a .40, or from a .40 to a 10mm.
    I thought it was cool of Federal to test for exactly that situation....multiple layer heavier winter clothing....especially the dreaded Carhartt jacket !!

If you believe their results, it seems that running your favorite HST load all year is just fine.

Top Bottom