• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I'm a city boy, but 100 years ago didn't people drink raw milk ???

You can buy raw milk from local farms now. They label it as pet food and you buy it as pet food. What you do with it is up to you. I have done this and it works fine.

You can also purchase a share of an animal and have a local farm house and milk the animal for you. It is more expensive to do it this way though.

Once I get some dairy sheep and/or goats I will use the milk raw. It is silly to pay extra for the pasteurization unless you are going to use unclean practices while milking.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My family has been drinking non-pasturized milk for about six months.
    It's considerably better tasting. I believe it is better for us since the farmer feeds the cows grass and doesn't have to continuously medicate the herd to deal with with sick cows in an industrial dairy. :yesway:

p.s. My daughter gave up sodas altogether because she would rather drink the milk!

Just to clarify: raw simply means straight from the tap, or teat, as the case may be. It has nothing to do with the husbandry/milking practices of the dairy farmer.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I think there are some people on here that think the FDA is an effective government entity. Instead of joking about it, I would like to clarify my stance on the FDA and try to make this a teaching moment:

Producing good food is the number one concern of any food producer. Whether or not the FDA is around, they have a great incentive to produce the best food possible. There was a time for the FDA, and they did their job well and cleaned up the problems in the food industry, but we as a people are much more sophisticated now and the food companies can't hide the things they used to.

So I say, get rid of the FDA now. The food companies will still produce good food so they don't get people sick and develop a bad name for producing bad food.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We purchased and drank milk from our amish neighbors while growing up...throughout the the entire 18 years that I lived at home...and we never got sick or died from it, in fact, I was a lot thinner drinking raw milk than I am now!!! We were healthy and had no ill effects from it!

We also raised and butchered our own beef & chickens....plus, we had a vegetable garden...it was a lot of work, but we ate for 50% less than those who purchased everything from a grocery store and we made $$ selling our extra vegetables (door-to-door) in the 'city' and sold the extra beef quarters to regular customers!

The richest I ever was was right out of high school...I paid cash for my first car!

I understand that the FDA is trying to keep bad products from making people sick, but there's a balance to it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would never drink unpasturized milk from one of the "factory" farms...yuk. I want my puss filled milk cooked. I am quite sure the Amish let their dairy cows graze on grass, like they should, and should NOT need pasturized. I love how the FDA stated that milk will contain E Coli and other bugs. What they don't say is that those bugs are present in factory dairy cows due to the all grain diet that produces the bugs. You think the Amish are selling something that they themselves don't drink? Hell no. The FDA's only job is to allow the handfull of food companies that produce most of the worlds food operate with impunity. The rest will get the hammer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Just another bloated bureaucracy devouring your tax dollars and kicking back bennies to thier supporter through the big law/lobby firms in dc, in this case, the ADA. There will be some posturing on this issue and a few pithy remarks by leadership, then back to business as usual, the dc way.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Shouldn't this be a choice between consumer/producer? I don't understand how, in a supposedly "free" country, government can dictate what I choose to put into my body (keeping this on the topic of food, for this discussion).
    PS - I "do" understand, as I believe that our government is corrupt and has absolutely no concern whatsoever about our freedom, only control.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    We purchased and drank milk from our amish neighbors while growing up...throughout the the entire 18 years that I lived at home...and we never got sick or died from it, in fact, I was a lot thinner drinking raw milk than I am now!!! We were healthy and had no ill effects from it!

We also raised and butchered our own beef & chickens....plus, we had a vegetable garden...it was a lot of work, but we ate for 50% less than those who purchased everything from a grocery store and we made $$ selling our extra vegetables (door-to-door) in the 'city' and sold the extra beef quarters to regular customers!

The richest I ever was was right out of high school...I paid cash for my first car!

I understand that the FDA is trying to keep bad products from making people sick, but there's a balance to it.

You ate BEEF & CHICKEN without having the USDA seal:stickpoke:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You ate BEEF & CHICKEN without having the USDA seal:stickpoke:
    needles-nothing-to-be-scared-of1.png

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Shouldn't this be a choice between consumer/producer? I don't understand how, in a supposedly "free" country, government can dictate what I choose to put into my body (keeping this on the topic of food, for this discussion).

As long as our Federal Government is big enough to ban plants and milk, we can never call ourselves free.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hope I don't disappoint any of you with your picture of the Amish. There was one a few years back that got himself in some trouble. He was selling his milk to the Kase Haus (cheese factory between Middlebury and Shipshewana). They test all of the milk for bacteria as it comes in. HIs milk was running high. He tried to reduce it by dumping some pine-sol or lysol into the load. They didn't see the humor in it as they contacted authorities and it made the papers.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I hope I don't disappoint any of you with your picture of the Amish. There was one a few years back that got himself in some trouble. He was selling his milk to the Kase Haus (cheese factory between Middlebury and Shipshewana). They test all of the milk for bacteria as it comes in. HIs milk was running high. He tried to reduce it by dumping some pine-sol or lysol into the load. They didn't see the humor in it as they contacted authorities and it made the papers.
    sooooo... how'd the cheese taste? :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

So who caught it, the private business or the FDA?

muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Just something to think about:
    The FDA as we know it has some of its foundation in the 1906 Pure Food and Drugs Act was passed by congress. Here is a link to the original act

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bookres.fcgi/history/pdf_purefood.pdf

Nowhere that I can see does it mention milk.

It was a six page act, not the thousands like the healthcare law. Just think what life will be like in 20 years with the added powers granted to the federal govt in that law.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Just something to think about:
    The FDA as we know it has some of its foundation in the 1906 Pure Food and Drugs Act was passed by congress. Here is a link to the original act

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bookres.fcgi/history/pdf_purefood.pdf

Nowhere that I can see does it mention milk.

It was a six page act, not the thousands like the healthcare law. Just think what life will be like in 20 years with the added powers granted to the federal govt in that law.
    1984 sound familiar?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    So the fact that we are living longer healthier lives than ever before is not a significant measure on how the FDA is performing? :dunno:

They just need to stop doing stupid crap like this.

Please forgive me for being so brash but I personally think that argument is a load of bull.

We're obviously living longer lives from the oil that makes our lives prosperous. I have a sneaking suspicion ANYTHING run by the government is for monetary gain, do you really think they care about the people?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    We're living longer and healthier than ever. This is mostly due to the fact that food is in abundance, we work far less dangerous jobs (how many of us are actually in danger of being crushed by livestock), and there have been huge advancement in the world of medicine.

I don't honestly think the FDA had a whole lot to do with it. MOST eggs are perfectly safe to eat raw. There is a slim chance you could get a disease and an even slimmer chance that disease be fatal, but it's probably a fraction of a percent... But I doubt the FDA would recommend eating raw eggs... I imagine milk is the same thing. I'm sure most raw milk (for human consumption) is perfectly safe. What is wrong with options? If people want to take that risk for the sake of taste, or some other believed benefit, I see nothing wrong with it.

Top Bottom