• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm in the market for a good quality shoulder holster.

Some food for thought before the recommendations come...
    I'm 6'1 and 280lbs. I've got a big, broad chest and will be carrying an M&P9 and/or G23.

I would love feedback from anyone (big guy feedback preferred, but I'm open to all) who EDC with a shoulder holster.
    I can't say it would be daily, but days where I'm actively moving around and going places, I'd like to keep it off my hip.

I've checked out a few online but truthfully can't make a decision based off of a picture.
    Just looking for a single handgun right-handed holster with the option of one or two magazines on the other side.

Do any parts wear over time? Is it uncomfortable? These are petty things I'm not too concerned of. Just curious.

Rep to anyone with great input! :rockwoot:

Jeff

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have tried a couple of shoulder rigs. I never quite got used to them. I carried a Berreta 96 and a Kimber full size 1911 in them. Of the ones I tried, my favorite was the Galco model. It seemed to ride the best and was the most adjustable. I believe the other rig was a Bianchi. I am over 6ft and about 210 with alarge chest. The Galco was adjustable enough that it was easy to fit.

The down side of a shoulder rig is the draw. You have to practice a lot and be very aware of your muzzle and where your trigger finger is. A lot of folks have shot themselves with shoulder rigs.

Try a few on and see what you like. If you do get one, practice with it a lot! Good luck!

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I had a Galco Miami Classics (best out there), it turned out to be kind of a novelty... I hardly ever wore it. Plus poeple dont like standing behind you at the check out line, your gun is pointing right at them...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have used, when the situation calls for it, a Galco Miami Classic for over 15yrs. (Gun is a G17.)

Never bothered to try any other brand.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I have a Front Line quick draw vertical shoulder holster.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Front-Line-Israeli-Military-Shoulder-Magazine/dp/B003QZM3PQ]Amazon.com: Front-Line Israeli Military Full Grain Leather Glock Fast DRaw Shoulder Holster & Magazine Pouches: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I really like it. Mine is for a 1911, but this one is listed as fitting Glock.

It has suede shoulder pieces. A couple of the holes have stretched some, but after more than a year of pretty heavy use, it's still going strong.

Easy to draw from. The lower portion swivels. One snap holds the holster in position, the other keeps the gun from falling out if you lean over. It also has belt straps on each side. It has a two mag holder with snap covers. It's fully adjustable - chicago screws on the shoulder straps and an adjustable strap across the back.

It is by far my favorite holster.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    l have a cheaper version I got at the 1500 show, webbing style and I picked up interchangeable holster form different size and style guns. It has double mag holders on opposite side (also can be swithched out). I'm 6ft & 210# BTW. I read all the reviews about the upper end leather rigs but didn't want to drop $200 and find out it wasn't for me or I just didn't like the method of carry. I was very pleased with how it turned out. Very comfortable and fully adjustable and distributes the weight well, especially G17 plus two additional mags. Great for access and comfort when driving.
    No signs of wear and tear but I do not wear it every day (maybe 30% for the past year). Good luck.:twocents:

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    carried a 92fs in a bianchi shoulder holster for many years during the winter months and loved it. and still do when i feel nostalgic and pull out the old girl

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Some food for thought before the recommendations come...
    I'm 6'1 and 280lbs. I've got a big, broad chest and will be carrying an M&P9 and/or G23.

I'm 6' tall and weigh 260 and have a Miami Classic that I use to carry a 1911. I don't open carry and only use this rig in cooler weather. I like the fact that I can access my weapon while driving. Also, you can purchase different holster models and use the same shoulder rig.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I HAVE A GALCO HALF HARNESS HORIZONTAL AND A UNCLE MIKE'S VERTICAL TO CARRY A RUGER SR9C. THE UNCLE MIKE'S WILL ALSO HOLD MY S&W MOD 60 AS WELL.
    JUST MOP.
    GOOD LUCK

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I am in the market for a Shoulder rig myself*** M&P 40C

How do you offset the balance / weight form the pistol side to the opposite side?

A single loaded magazine will go a long ways towards balancing it, but an off-side belt tie down is really the best way to hold it in place.
    I love the comfort and accessibility of a shoulder holster, but get tired of the tendency of the horizontal rig to slide down so the draw becomes more of a "reach up and pull down" instead of directly across the body. Tie downs will negate this, but are obviously more visible if you don't match your clothing to your carry style.

Also, what did you put after "myself" that had to be censored?

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm curious if anyone has tried the Serpa rig? Was looking into it, but not sure about it.

+1 to this - Also curious if anyone has feedback on these.

And the concept of taking my Serpa retention OWB holster and "adapting" it to fit as a shoulder rig is interesting...
    Not sure of the practicality or how comfortable it is compared to others; but I'm curious.

Also, what did you put after "myself" that had to be censored?

I wondered the same... :D

Top Bottom