• Poll closed .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Last year I ran a group buy for NWI for the Baofeng UV-R3 "ham" radio.
    You can see the thread here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...aofeng_uv_3r_mark_ii_dual_band_ham_radio.html

Looking to see if there is an interest in doing a group buy for the new UV-5RE version of the radio. This is what the radio looks like:
    image.jpg

The group buy would be for the radio + USB programming Cable along with the option to buy optional items (mic, extra antenna, AAA battery pack replacement, car antenna) @ cost [no discount for these items]

I am in talks with the vendor from Hong Kong that we worked with last time to see what type of discount we can get. It will probably be along the same lines of the prior one.

discounts at
    5+ radios
    7+ radios
    14+ radios

Don't know the prices yet but the radio + usb cable from the vendor at retail cost is $54 right now. So at the $14+ I suspect it will probably be $50 (but don't quote me yet on this price).

In any case I'm looking to see how much interest we have for this. You don't have to be from NWI to get in on the group buy but we will have to coordinate getting the radios to you. In the last group buy I ended up mailing some (at cost to person) to those in Southern Indiana while some in NEI picked them up for that area.

--update--
    The programing cable for the UV-3R WILL NOT work on the UV-5R version.
    UV-5R looks like this & has 2 prongs.
    USB-font-b-Programming-b-font-font-b-Cable-b-font-for-font-b-Baofeng-b.jpg_250x250.jpg

the UV-3R using only 1 prong.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Thank but that does not include the price of shipping or the USB cable.
    Using their wizard for 1 radio the shipping is 10.25 (cheapest method)
    So you are looking at ~ 54.25 MINUS the programming cable. :(

Oups.. I'm always forgetting to add in shipping costs. Sorry about that :(

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Would i then need to get a lic. Or need a lic. To operate?

You do need a FCC Amatruer Radio license (aka "ham license") to "talk" via the radio. However you do not need one to "listenn" via the radio. Now in a SHTF EOTWAWKI event I don't think it's going to matter. ;)

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Jedi,

I would be interested in three radios for sure (probably a fourth). As last time, I could coordinate pickup/delivery/programming for the South Bend area.

My work has me traveling from Michigan City to LaGrange (east to west) and South to Peru/Rochester regularly.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'll take one.

Jedi,

I would be interested in three radios for sure (probably a fourth). As last time, I could coordinate pickup/delivery/programming for the South Bend area.

My work has me traveling from Michigan City to LaGrange (east to west) and South to Peru/Rochester regularly.

I see the gang is all here once again. :D

They have so many different sub-models, how is this different than the regular UV-5r?

UV-5r was the first model and it had a different faceplate on it as well as button placement.

UV-5rb and c were similar to UV-5r but the outershell changed a bit and the FIRMWARE also. The FIRMWARE on these radios is **NOT** upgradable. So each new firmware release makes the radio get a new "letter" revision.

UV-5rD got a new faceshell and buttons from what I can tell from the pics whih is what UV-5rE is using as well. Only difference in d and e is the firmware once again. All radios fully work and unless you are a 'ham nerd' you are not going to notice the difference (ie. they will all talk, listen).

For this group buy we are going with the latest version of the firmware so UV-5rE is what I plan on getting.

There is an issue with the extra battery pack (using AAA) and the UV-5R (1st generation) in which the battery pack does not fit on it (too large).

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    To add to the confusion look here for the various versions of the UV-5R
    UV-5R

There are many versions of the UV-5R, including the original UV-5R, the UV-5RB (restyled case), UV-5RC (restyled case), UV-5RE (restyled case), UV-E5 (Vero), UV-5RUU (400 to 520Mhz), UV5H (KYD), UV-X5 (triple band by Vero), GS-UVF9 (Golden Spring), and now the "New UV-5RA" (new case); and now yet another radio the UV-5R Plus (same as UV-5RB and UV-5RE?), both of which are 5W output, and now the BF-F9, BF-F8+Plus, BF-5RA+Plus, BF UV-B5 & BF UV-B6, etc

Top Bottom