• Poll closed .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    fyi looks like we do have enough interest for a group buy.
    once i hear back from the vendor i'll put the offical thread up in the group buy section. se are only 4 away from the max discount from the looks of it.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I would be intereted also... and I'll send a query out to the Live Free guys and see how many more they would want...

Jedi, since your getting another one of these I'm taking it that they are a pretty good value for the dollar... work pretty good then ? I've seen mixed reviews on the internet and was wondering...

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I would be intereted also... and I'll send a query out to the Live Free guys and see how many more they would want...

Jedi, since your getting another one of these I'm taking it that they are a pretty good value for the dollar... work pretty good then ? I've seen mixed reviews on the internet and was wondering...
    Many of the "bad" reviews have to do with the programming and software. As long as you remember that it is a 4 watt radio and base your expectations on that, you won't be disappointed.
    And buy a good antenna.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

The UV-R3 is a good cheap disposable radio that is good for SHTF, basic comms among your group and/or a good cheap starter radio for those wanting to get into 'HAM radios'. The only drawback to the R3 was that you had no way to 'punch in a feq' and instead had to either program all your freq in or turn the dial to get to a freq.

The R5 builds on the sucess of the R3 but now you have a keypad to punch in said feq you want to get to. 90% of the time you will use the programmed freq for your area (ie. reapters, certain feq you and your friend talk on, etc.). Every now and then I want to quickly get to freq 'xyz' and that is when the punch in keys come into play. Or I'm in say Indy and don't have any of there feq programmed so again puching them in qucikly works.

That said while they are not super durable they won't take a beating like the name brands. After all these are chinese knock-offs. But the sound quality if LOUD and they work for what they do. You are not going to be doing long distance comms from them (not enough power) but for short comms or hitting the local repeaters in your area they are great.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Many of the "bad" reviews have to do with the programming and software. As long as you remember that it is a 4 watt radio and base your expectations on that, you won't be disappointed.
    And buy a good antenna.

^This as well.
    The drivers for the USB cable and the right version of the software for the radio you have is a MUST!. What I like about the vendor we bought from last time is he made sure we had the correct USB cable + software with the radios. I would imagaine it will be the same again this time.

As for the antenna, the one that comes with it is reasonable. I have a car antenna as well that is portable and that works better as well.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I would be interested. Been thinking about getting into HAM radio but have no clue where or how to start. Any ideas?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would be interested. Been thinking about getting into HAM radio but have no clue where or how to start. Any ideas?

There are a ton of people here who will help you study and get licensed. HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests has practice tests.

6 months ago, I was not licensed at all. Last weekend, I got my Amateur Extra. You can do it!

On the Beofengs, I might be in, depending on final price. I already have (and love) my UV-5R but a spare or a second HT is always something worth having around.

If you're new to ham radio, an HT isn't necessarily the best *first* radio, but it is definitely useful to have and I use my HT more than any of my other radios. That said, there are times when I am very happy to have a mobile radio with 50 watts and a good antenna.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You do need a FCC Amatruer Radio license (aka "ham license") to "talk" via the radio. However you do not need one to "listenn" via the radio. Now in a SHTF EOTWAWKI event I don't think it's going to matter. ;)
    Also, keep in mind that these radioes are designed for the international market, not specificly the American market. As such, they have the capability of transmitting well outside the North American ham bands. It's the responsibility of the operator to mind the band edges and their transmission modes.

Of course, during a time of SHTF/WROL, the 440 MHz ham band will extend all the way up to 480 MHz, where ordinarily broadcast TV channels 14 and 15 live.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Also, keep in mind that these radioes are designed for the international market, not specificly the American market. As such, they have the capability of transmitting well outside the North American ham bands. It's the responsibility of the operator to mind the band edges and their transmission modes.

Of course, during a time of SHTF/WROL, the 440 MHz ham band will extend all the way up to 480 MHz, where ordinarily broadcast TV channels 14 and 15 live.

Thanks CIB I believe that the only way to use the 460-480 Mhz feq is via a software change. I think by default the radios stop at the 440 freq unless you do the simple change to the configuration file like you could with the R3 version for some other stuff. Have not looked too much into it yet.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Jedi,

I recently purchased a "new 5a" model and it has the latest firmware on it (according to all the sources that I could find)

Also, using the factory software, it was super easy to program.

I picked up the radio, USB cord w/ software and extra battery from Amazon for a great deal.

Might be worth looking into FWIW, if someone subscribes to Amazon Prime, shipping would be virtually free IIRC

(does the approx prices in the OP include shipping from Hong Kong ?)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    yes daddymike the price is with shipping already (at least per his ebay site) still waiting to hear from him but based on this poll we do have e nough interest for a group buy. just waiting on vendor's reply before i make the official post.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    yes daddymike the price is with shipping already (at least per his ebay site) still waiting to hear from him but based on this poll we do have e nough interest for a group buy. just waiting on vendor's reply before i make the official post.

That's a decent deal then (including shipping) :yesway:

Do we have pricing yet for additional accessories?

I'd be down for another radio and extra battery :yesway:

Top Bottom