• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So as mentioned in another thread, I have been taking BJJ and JKD from a very good instructor in Terre Haute. This instructor is not really a gun guy but is an extremely proficient grappler and highly-respected JKD instructor. He is a high-level competitor in national and international BJJ tournaments. He also sometimes helps instruct seminars for law enforcement.

What we do in class is mainly sport BJJ and some un-armed self-defense. I have been really interested in getting some mat time which incorporates a firearm that needs to be protected and/or employed in the situation. I tend to think that contact-distance fighting/grappling in general is a hole in most people's skills. I think fighting/grappling with a pistol or knife in play is a hole in even more people's skill sets.

So I approached my instructor about the possibility of putting on an open-enrollment seminar for gun-carrying folks that focuses on some basic self-defense responses from various positions, and takes in to consideration that the person will be carrying a gun that needs to be protected. HE HAS NOT AGREED TO PUT ON A CLASS. Primarily because this is not the context in which he typically uses and teaches his skills and he wasn't sure exactly what he would present to a an average CCW citizen.

That being said, he is extremely proficient and I can think of few people I've met in central Indiana better qualified to approach the topic of fighting/grappling in any context.

So, the question is, is there anyone here on the board who would honestly be interested in attending such a class?

Here's how I picture it (very loosely):
    I think it's likely that students will need to bring their own equipment (holsters, blue guns, mouth guard would be good, etc). I will try to have some extra stuff on hand, but I can't guarantee anything. I expect it would be a 4 to 8 hour deal. I think there would be a presentation of skills. Skills would be drilled. Then hopefully we could incorporate a live test of the skills learned during final exercises. I would expect to work from various positions from standing at some distance, to clinched, to take-down defense, and on the ground.

What I DON'T expect to be covered:
    -Use of force decisions. I think this would be strictly skill based.
    -A method for drawing or using a pistol. He is not a firearms instructor. I DO believe he can teach you how to protect it. And I am very confident he can teach you how to make the space and time to access it.

Again HE HAS NOT AGREED TO ANYTHING. In fact, I have only mentioned it to him one time. I don't know what it would cost or how many people I would need to make it happen. Right now I am trying to gauge interest. So, if anyone would be interested in a half-day or full-day seminar from a guy with this kind of skill set, please post up and let me know.

Thanks,

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Absolutely in. And I'll try to help you sell it to him. I also know people from that gym who would be interested, and who would help convince him.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You know I'm there if I could make the date and timing work out. It would be a haul down there and back like when we do classes down there. This is right up my alley!

I want to see this mythical small dude who throws around ICP.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You know I'm there if I could make the date and timing work out. It would be a haul down there and back like when we do classes down there. This is right up my alley!

Like a toy, Josh. Seriously, I can't even make it interesting for him. For him, it's 100% coaching mode. Smiling, toying with me, not even working.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

I haven't seen him roll with iCP, but I have rolled with him myself and he's a wizard on the ground. I have no doubt that iCP is making an accurate assessment Of their interactions.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would be very interested in this...if you don't mind having a girl in the mix.

I always like to have a girl in the mix. That's a good point, though. This person maintains a great and very welcoming attitude at his school. I would expect nothing different from a seminar like this. I would want this to be comfortable and worthwhile for people of any background, age, gender, and physical condition. People should feel free to come participate to their comfort and ability level . There will be nothing but encouragement and learning for everyone involved.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Of course I would be interested. Part of this I am not clear on though. Does he regularly work in a WBE or his he just an awesome grappler/martial artist who you feel can easily add weapons to the mix? This is by no means a question meant with disrespect, I am just looking at your statement that this is not a context he usually teaches in. I would be perfectly happy to come to a seminar he puts on either way.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Of course I would be interested. Part of this I am not clear on though. Does he regularly work in a WBE or his he just an awesome grappler/martial artist who you feel can easily add weapons to the mix? This is by no means a question meant with disrespect, I am just looking at your statement that this is not a context he usually teaches in. I would be perfectly happy to come to a seminar he puts on either way.

He does not, to my knowledge, regularly include firearms in his practice, training, or teaching. It is not a focal area or even really a strong interest of his. He does regularly include Filipino-based stick and knife work and he is a VERY high-level grappler. I have no doubt that he could present a workable solution to most clinch range or ground fighting problems regardless of the weapons involved.

That being said, you would be coming to see JKD and BJJ techniques and applying them to a fight that might involve a gun. ICP can probably give a better idea about it than I could. Also, please keep in mind, aside from the one conversation, this guy has not even really thought about teaching something like this. There is no specific material developed, and its pretty much impossible for me to tell your exactly what would be covered. I just know this instructor has an excellent skill set and with some prompting, could apply it in this context.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He does not, to my knowledge, regularly include firearms in his practice, training, or teaching. It is not a focal area or even really a strong interest of his. He does regularly include [STRIKE]philipino[/STRIKE](Filipino or Pilpino)-based stick and knife work and he is a VERY high-level grappler. I have no doubt that he could present a workable solution to most clinch range or ground fighting problems regardless of the weapons involved.

Fixed it for you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, if you hadn't quoted it I could have fixed it. Typing things on my phone at work keeps me from paying the proper amount of attention.

I had to quote to make it live forever, sir. FOREVER.

Your class idea sounds like a good idea. However, when the time and place are settled, please notify me so that I can arrange to be elsewhere. I am averse to rolling on the ground, being touched by other dudes, sweating, and pain.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I had to quote to make it live forever, sir. FOREVER.

Your class idea sounds like a good idea. However, when the time and place are settled, please notify me so that I can arrange to be elsewhere. I am averse to rolling on the ground, being touched by other dudes, sweating, and pain.

I'll have iCP come to you to provide private lessons in all of those things.

Top Bottom