• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    If it is your first gun, no, it isn't a good starter. They are light and have a very snappy, unpleasant recoil and aren't too ergonomic.

What do you want a gun for? Carry? Target? Just to see?

zbiddle91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    SULLIVAN
    The only reason i ask is that my parents have one and im trying to get them to give it to me for my 18th bday. Then again they alson have in r.g. 22 would it be good

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    While I do not know anything about this pistol, I guess any gun is better than no gun. There are many exceptions to this statement however. A gun that can get you hurt is worse than no gun at all. Be very sure about the realibility of this pistol.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    The only reason i ask is that my parents have one and im trying to get them to give it to me for my 18th bday. Then again they alson have in r.g. 22 would it be good

OK, that changes things. My opinion still stands about it for a first gun, but I was coming at it from the angle that you haven't done any shooting at all. I would assume that would be an incorrect assumption if your parents own firearms (as most gun owning parents should teach their kids how to shoot).

I say get your parents to take you out to the range with said pistol, shoot the hell out of it and see whether YOU like it. If you're comfy with it, then my opinion is moot.

If on the other hand, you don't like the pistol necessarily and just want it because it might be free, then that's another thing entirely and you should try to acquire a pistol more favorable to you.

zbiddle91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    SULLIVAN
    i love the gun i have shot the hell out of it i was wondering if there were any problems with these guns or if anyone had any other ideas on guns under 300

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you love the gun then by all means, acquire it, if possible. They aren't unreliable or troublesome, they're just a bit snappy. They conceal well if that's what you want it for and while the round isn't as powerful as I'd like, it'll do if you do your part.

I went with a Makarov and its a little better in regards to recoil as it has a steel frame, but still snappy. I pocket carry mine when I carry it.

Sounds like you have a plan, I say follow it.

Here's some info from Makarov.com

The Hungarian guns are quite nice, but they're not Makarovs, even if the dealer told you so. If it says "9mm Makarov" on the slide, this refers to the caliber, not the gun. We don't say "they're not Makarovs" to be snobby, but to make you aware that the similarity ends with the superficial external appearance. Magazines, grips, barrels, parts, etc. do not interchange with Makarov parts. We do carry parts and accessories for both at Makarov.com (see next question, below).

The FEG guns are quite nice in that they're the Walther design, are slimmer and lighter than the Makarov, have a thumb magazine release, and seem to be reliable and most of all, cheap.
    Many people who buy FEG guns end up buying a Makarov as well. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

If the recoil does start to bother you.

Wolff Gunsprings makes several replacement springs for the PA63. The 13# recoil spring is designed for standard Milspec 95gr ammo. The 15# spring is designed for limited use of the Hotter self defense ammo such as Corbon PowerBall, Hornady XTP, Glaser, etc. Since the PA63 has an Alloy frame, and was designed for 95 gr Milspec ammo, it is both unsafe to fire ANY ammo with heavier than 95gr bullets. Doing so will cause jams, misfeeds, greatly increased wear on your pistol, and as some people have found out the hard way, even cause the pistol to become unsafe to shoot and cause injury to the shooter. Wolff also has a new mainspring for the PA63 that will reduce the DA and SA felt trigger pull by up to 40% depending on your firearm.

Last edited:

Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    My wife carries that pistol chambered in .380 as it is easier to buy locally. It is a great little shooter, accurate and reliable. If you want a good inexpensive carry pistol, this one will fit the bill. And in the question of reliability, these are former police guns.

Top Bottom