• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    I just read an article about a hunter who was out scouting coming across 2 of the hogs and startled them and he dropped his gun and was resigned to wait it out in a tree. It read the beast kept charging him in the tree and it took him 15 stab wounds to bring it down and was going after him until last breath. dangerous critters

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have heard of populations in Indiana but have never seen one here. I have hunted several differant counties and still nothing. Where are these things hiding.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    You think that now, but when the time comes that you change your mind, it will be too late. The don't only impact farmers. They also impact ground nesting birds such as quail, turkey, grouse, etc. They destroy gardens over night. There are few fences that keep them from going where they want to go. With the ability to produce three litters a year you can't out-hunt them once they are well established.
    Also imgine the safety issue. What if you where out mushroom hunting or rabbit hunting with your kids or grandkids and you jump a big 300-pound boar that was sleeping in a wallow that decides you shouldn't be there. There's no good outcome on that because someone is going to get hurt and it isn't just going to just be the hog. No matter how fast you are on the draw or how good a shot you are, someone is going to get hurt.
    There are so many negative aspects of wild hogs that most folks don't think about.
    I want to hunt them too, but I don't ever want them taking over this state.
    Imagine our state without multi-flora roses, carp, and starlings. Those are all things that were introduced and now there's no way to get rid of them and they aren't half as destructive as hogs.

I completely agree with you, so please dont take this the wrong way. I just really would love the thought of anytime I feel like doing some hunting, or want to try out a new gun or bow I can just go out and shoot some hogs. I would settle for hogs in KY, I could just drive down there and shoot them and hopefully they couldnt swim across the river.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I just read an article about a hunter who was out scouting coming across 2 of the hogs and startled them and he dropped his gun and was resigned to wait it out in a tree. It read the beast kept charging him in the tree and it took him 15 stab wounds to bring it down and was going after him until last breath. dangerous critters

I am glad you liked the article!:)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I could just drive down there and shoot them and hopefully they couldnt swim across the river.

They will find ways across any obstacles. One of them got shot with a 30-06 right between the eyes. It stumbled and then kept chagrinning it had to be taken down with a full magazine from a glock 17

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Domestic pigs will start reverting to their wild type counterparts after only a couple generations. Combined with their adaptability, litter size and gestation of only 114 days they make for a rather suitable species to turn feral.

How they became feral doesn't really matter. They're here.
    Destructive, nasty animals.

They can carry zoonotic disease, many of which you do not want to get....

Brucella suis Infection Associated with Feral Swine Hunting --- Three States, 2007--2008

I work with domestic pigs and wild type hogs (research) for a living, they're really not difficult to kill. Shot placement to the head. Preferably at and X between the eyes and ears. Drops instantly and goes into death kicks. A captive bolt gun using 6.8mm blanks.

It can be done at close range cleanly with a .22lr believe it or not...

For a large sow, you will want something larger but it can still be done easily.

To eat, you would probably want to get a smaller pig. Boar (male) tastes nasty imho. This is due to their sex hormones. Some people are more susceptible to it that others. Shoot a female, it will do more damage to the population.

Here's another read if interested: Be warned, of technical language....

(Distinguishing Feral Hogs from Introduced Wild Boar « Texas Natural Wildlife)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Domestic pigs will start reverting to their wild type counterparts after only a couple generations. Combined with their adaptability, litter size and gestation of only 114 days they make for a rather suitable species to turn feral.

How they became feral doesn't really matter. They're here.
    Destructive, nasty animals.

They can carry zoonotic disease, many of which you do not want to get....

Brucella suis Infection Associated with Feral Swine Hunting --- Three States, 2007--2008

I work with domestic pigs and wild type hogs (research) for a living, they're really not difficult to kill. Shot placement to the head. Preferably at and X between the eyes and ears. Drops instantly and goes into death kicks. A captive bolt gun using 6.8mm blanks.

It can be done at close range cleanly with a .22lr believe it or not...

For a large sow, you will want something larger but it can still be done easily.

To eat, you would probably want to get a smaller pig. Boar (male) tastes nasty imho. This is due to their sex hormones. Some people are more susceptible to it that others. Shoot a female, it will do more damage to the population.

Here's another read if interested: Be warned, of technical language....

(Distinguishing Feral Hogs from Introduced Wild Boar « Texas Natural Wildlife)

Wearing a gas mask and gloves to drag it to a pit to be burned is proper disposal IMHO

Top Bottom