• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    It's a limitation to how vBulletin's FAQ system works. Just having it link to the INGO FAQ means we lose the link to the vBulletin FAQ. We don't really have a better way to link it at them moment without a significant rewrite of the software..

Thank you for explaining the limitaitons to the vBulletin system. I meant no disrespect to the way the forum is set up. In fact it is a pleasure using it. I'm sure the Mod's spend many hours working behind the scene and aren't recognized for their efforts.

Yes, I think so. We've spent a lot of time building a comprehensive FAQ and bent over backwards trying to direct people to it and it's frustrating to have someone tell us that the work we've done isn't good enough and that we're arrogant for trying to get that information out there. We've made it as easy to find as we know how and the information is flat-out ignored.

Here is where I respectfully disagree with you. Most people who ask questions aren't just flat-out ignoring what you are saying. Especially in this OP, because he explained he didn't see that the INGO FAQ (START HERE FIRST) was a link, just as I didn't. It appeared to us that it is a title, not a link. I don't see the point in being degrading to a person, being disrespectful to them with some smart remark and then having everyone else chime in also. This only alienates the poster and makes them less likely to contribute or worse yet...learn. That's what forums are about isn't it. To learn from others and share your experiences too?

It seems that if you're getting frustrated because people aren't following your directions to get to the FAQ, that it's not just one person who doesn't understand what you're telling them.

What would be so hard about just posting a direct link in your response instead of saying "Read the FAQ"

Again I mean no disrespect, I'm just trying to have an intelligent adult conversation, where two people can discuss their points of view and hopefully listen to the other party's perspective on the subject.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here is where I respectfully disagree with you. Most people who ask questions aren't just flat-out ignoring what you are saying. Especially in this OP, because he explained he didn't see that the INGO FAQ (START HERE FIRST) was a link, just as I didn't. It appeared to us that it is a title, not a link. I don't see the point in being degrading to a person, being disrespectful to them with some smart remark and then having everyone else chime in also. This only alienates the poster and makes them less likely to contribute or worse yet...learn. That's what forums are about isn't it. To learn from others and share your experiences too?

It seems that if you're getting frustrated because people aren't following your directions to get to the FAQ, that it's not just one person who doesn't understand what you're telling them.

What would be so hard about just posting a direct link in your response instead of saying "Read the FAQ"

Again I mean no disrespect, I'm just trying to have an intelligent adult conversation, where two people can discuss their points of view and hopefully listen to the other party's perspective on the subject.

I had no problem with him missing the link, that's why I posted the big arrows pointing to it. I was genuinely perplexed when the OP asked where the FAQ was because I used such a large font in my sig line. I think you're mixing my posts with the other respondents in this thread.

I try very hard to not directly answer questions that I know for a fact are answered in the FAQ. I do this not to be condescending but because I know there will (almost invariably) be one or more follow up questions that are also answered in the FAQ, along with a host of other information that I want the person to see (and hopefully find interesting enough to read). I've tried very hard (as have the other mods) to make the location of the FAQ exceedingly easy to find and done everything I can to encourage people to read it. I'm sincere when I'm asking for ways to improve upon that, because, frankly, I feel like I'm shoving it in people's faces and they STILL ask me where it is.

And no, I don't think you're being disrespectful. We're two adults having a conversation. We may or may not agree on points, but there's nothing wrong with that, either. :ingo:

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Like I stated earlier the INGO FAQ (START HERE FIRST) looks more like a title than a link.

I have always thought that too. When trying to find the gun related faqs, I would always click on the three links BELOW the "Start Here First"

The link should say something like "Gun and gun law faqs"

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had no problem with him missing the link, that's why I posted the big arrows pointing to it. I was genuinely perplexed when the OP asked where the FAQ was because I used such a large font in my sig line. I think you're mixing my posts with the other respondents in this thread.

I try very hard to not directly answer questions that I know for a fact are answered in the FAQ. I do this not to be condescending but because I know there will (almost invariably) be one or more follow up questions that are also answered in the FAQ, along with a host of other information that I want the person to see (and hopefully find interesting enough to read). I've tried very hard (as have the other mods) to make the location of the FAQ exceedingly easy to find and done everything I can to encourage people to read it. I'm sincere when I'm asking for ways to improve upon that, because, frankly, I feel like I'm shoving it in people's faces and they STILL ask me where it is.

And no, I don't think you're being disrespectful. We're two adults having a conversation. We may or may not agree on points, but there's nothing wrong with that, either. :ingo:

As stated Sometimes the best place to hide something is in plain sight. I think what is trying to be conveyed here is that maybe there should be sections of faq's with there own titles. That may help to ease some of the confusion. Its not really a big deal when the mods say check the faq, but when you have regular members chiming in with an off color comment, its very frustraiting, when all your after is information, an did not understand how to obtain it.

I will say after this I am very leary of what I ask, and it kind of sucks. Because may have a valid question that may not get asked for fear of the onslought of negitive posts. But as I said its all good, no harm no foul. This is a great site, and im glad to be a part of it:ingo:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    First INGO has a FAQ? :n00b:

I have always thought that too. When trying to find the gun related faqs, I would always click on the three links BELOW the "Start Here First"

The link should say something like "Gun and gun law faqs"

+1 and repped. Constructive input, not just complaining.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Alright. I spent some time rewriting some of the board software to try to address what you said. I'm still not happy with it for a couple of reasons (for example, the "FAQ search" doesn't search the INGO FAQ, just the vB FAQ), but I can't do much more without a major rewrite. Try the FAQ link at the top and see if it seems clearer. Try to use it like you're a new member who has never seen it before.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    That looks great to me, although I never had a problem finding the FAQ before. The new links do make it easy to get to the info and know what the links do.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Alright. I spent some time rewriting some of the board software to try to address what you said. I'm still not happy with it for a couple of reasons (for example, the "FAQ search" doesn't search the INGO FAQ, just the vB FAQ), but I can't do much more without a major rewrite. Try the FAQ link at the top and see if it seems clearer. Try to use it like you're a new member who has never seen it before.

I actually clicked on the FAQ button tonight and thought I had hit the wrong button at first because I immediately noticed the change. I was looking for something in the V-bullitin question area and when your warning came up I had to laugh. I think if we can't find something now we're really in trouble.

So I came back to this thread and saw your post about changing it. Very nicely done. THANK You for taking the time to listen and make these changes. :yesway:

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Very, VERY nicely done, Scutter! Thank you very much!

For those looking to search the INGO FAQ, I'd suggest bringing up the page Pami started and then using your browser's "find text" function if you're having trouble locating a specific item in it. If all else fails, PM me and I'll look to see if it's there or merits adding. (You can PM any mod, of course, but I'm specifically volunteering to help with FAQ stuff if needed.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom