• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Plague, I've got a LC9s with a "rubber" Talon Grips wrap on it, and my wife has a plain one. I can also get my daughter's Shield to let your wife try. I can get her some indoor range time for pretty cheap to run as many rounds through them as she/you want. Shoot me a PM if you're interested...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe make choosing fun for her by having a date night once a week where she can go to Point Blank and let her try out a different gun each week. Sooner or later, she'll find what she likes to shoot and if it's what she wants to carry, it will have been her decision. Plus, it will be fun to do.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm a revolver girl, but if it's a 9mm she wants, I'd try a Shield. It seems to be the compact semi-auto that fits my hands best.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Maybe make choosing fun for her by having a date night once a week where she can go to Point Blank and let her try out a different gun each week. Sooner or later, she'll find what she likes to shoot and if it's what she wants to carry, it will have been her decision. Plus, it will be fun to do.

I averted so many disasters by letting women shoot (for free) that cute little airweight revolver or that little LCP. Usually the husband or dad was standing right next to them telling them "this is what you want!". I'd say "okay, let's shoot it on me." Then I grab the Sig P238 and five rounds of .380 on the way in too.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM wanted the Sig after that. Was I upselling... or doing them a favor? Both I believe. Best 15 or so rounds ever given away.

For the lady that wanted something "simple" for home defense, the Ruger SP101 4" (stainless) with the nice fiber optic sight sold itself.

Last edited:

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    Has she shot a handgun before? If not, some trigger time with rental guns or the event at Parabellum are what I'd do. And I start people who've never shot before on a larger full size frame pistol because they are usually less felt recoil and make for a better first time shooting experience. That will help determine a caliber she's comfortable using, and then you can see how each option feels in her hand to make a short list of options to choose from. Shoot those to decide what to buy. Or just buy the cute one. Lol

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I recommend going to a NWI Meet & Shoot. They should be starting when it warms up.
    Most of us will let you try out guns, especially if you tell people you are trying to help her pick out a gun, people will bring stuff to the shoot for you to try.
    Keep an eye in the Events section, and the NWI General Discussion thread.

Buchhaas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2017
    Vermillion County
    All I can say is take her somewhere where she can shoot them and handle them a little bit. And definitely DO NOT let her pick one that is uncomfortable just because it is "Pretty"

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Determine her method of carry....that makes a big difference.

Don't discount the Sig P238 and P938 with metal frames. I have both and they are great little guns. Actually, awesome guns.

S&W shield at the top of the list but just a ton of options.

Nothing wrong with a 38 special revolver either...Ruger ($) or Smith ($$)...

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Pretty much everything on the market is reliable and low maintenance now. Also comfortable for edc is too subjective, depending on the person and carry style. Glock 26,27,42,43. S&W shield, m&p compact, Springfield xds, Springfield xd, sig 938, Walter pps, Kahr. Just to name a few.

This is good info.
    I would add that - depending on her experience - the larger the gun, the more enjoyable it is to shoot, ESPECIALLY for a new shooter. Even though Glocks aren't my favorite, it's hard to find a much better gun than a G19.
    Will she carry it in a purse, on her person, or mostly at home??
    Don't get anything smaller than a Shield or a G43.
    If she's not opposed to revolvers, Ruger LCR is a good option.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When my spouse came back in the game we went to the range with an assortment of different platforms. 9mm CZ's and 1911's in .45.
    She ran a few of our friends pieces as well. It took a while but she is settled on a 1911 in 9mm commander with a bobbed grip. She still likes the CZ's but the 1911 works for her.
    My point here is a new shooter has no idea what they like /want at 1st.

Let the lady put a few through the paces. Recoil is a huge issue for then ladys.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    This is good info.
    I would add that - depending on her experience - the larger the gun, the more enjoyable it is to shoot, ESPECIALLY for a new shooter. Even though Glocks aren't my favorite, it's hard to find a much better gun than a G19.
    Will she carry it in a purse, on her person, or mostly at home??
    Don't get anything smaller than a Shield or a G43.
    If she's not opposed to revolvers, Ruger LCR is a good option.

Second the LCR. By far the easiest-shooting small revolver. It was my first gun, and the one I'll never get rid of.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Was in the same boat. Took her and my collection to a range and let her shoot what we had. She didn't hate anything I had but didn't find the one either.
    Not to long ago we went to BG firearms and I was looking for a Shield 9mm. While I was filling out the papers, she was looking and was holding a Kel Tec Pf9 and said it felt good in her hands.

Took them both to the range the next day and she quickly fell in love with the Shield.

My advice is either go shoot some rentals or get a group of people with different options to test and see what she likes. Unleeessssssss its an excuse to collect more guns.

agerm220

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2016
    CROWN POINT
    My fiancée will be getting her LTCH in a couple months. We are just waiting for it to come in the mail.
    Since it has been quite some time since I have shopped for any guns, I am looking to get some advice and/or suggestions for her first gun.
    Really just looking to be pointed in the right direction in terms of the new stuff on the market.
    I am thinking something in 9mm, NOT PINK :noway: lol, polymer frame, compact, reliable, low maintenance, and would be comfortable for EDC.
    Price range would be between $300-$450, trying to keep it as low as possible.
    So, thoughts or suggestions on guns to consider? :ingo:

my fiancé carries the Walther pps chambered in 9mm that I used to carry. Now I'm carrying a 43. Pps is comparable to the shield.

Top Bottom